Caribou Gear

Guess Hank's gauge.

Just made the National news, the monsoon in NM. They still stood in front of NM on the map and show it steering into Tejas after Sunday. Trying to talk another hurricane into the gulf.

But what about your followers? Com'on pick some of those flowers, grab some pie, and go pay a visit.
Get stuck on the road today.
The new neighbor just brought in the double wide halves and should get those tractors out soon or they will sit for a while. Oh I hear them now navigating a two track , wet dirt road.

I just blew a run to the store in Springerville and it's greenest here. Flirted with the produce stocker gal.
Got the groceries in the house just in time. Pouring now. 80% humidity this morning,60 % now.

Pie Town has been busy. 3 cafes going. The Pie-o-neer has been swamped for pies. New bbq place.

9.25 inches since June. A month or 2 to go with monsoons.
Have a dry spell going, sort of. It only spit today.

Could be a great year for NM & AZ elk, size wise. Maybe a Booner year.
Could be tough hunting. Food and water everywhere. Opposite of normal.

I have not heard from one hunter.
But I've been busy dealing with my health, and cell service that went from bad to terrible.
Verizon, we don't give a shit...can you hear me now?

The sciatica is a side show it turns out, stage 4 prostate cancer.
Have a good no nonsense Doc. Tough way to get a primary care physician.
Tomorrow will be my 4th trip into Alb. to the clinic this month.
CT, bone density done. Biopsy next month after meeting with the woke hand holders.
No chemo. HRT is the new deal. 10 years +-...

Debated posting but after an hour long call(an actual call came thru) with baby sister just now, I decided what the hell . The only folks I know are here...I got this.

Today was the 1st day since Memorial day I have not been in pain and I have an idea of what the hell is going on.
Rio and I had a good day.

The sciatica is a side show it turns out, stage 4 prostate cancer.
Have a good no nonsense Doc. Tough way to get a primary care physician.
Tomorrow will be my 4th trip into Alb. to the clinic this month.
CT, bone density done. Biopsy next month after meeting with the woke hand holders.
No chemo. HRT is the new deal. 10 years +-...
Hank, you are in my thoughts in the coming months. I hope everything comes out well and both the "C" and teh sciatica get taken care of right.

Jeremy

Sorry to hear that, Hank. Take care of yourself and stay positive. Sounds like you're a tough old bird and can handle what life throws at you. We've got your back. Trust me. Everyone seems to have mine, and you're a better person than I am! Keep us informed and scratch Rio's head for us.

Biggest scare was Sat. after I went to town to call(service) and found out my med. scripts had not gotten to my pharmacy. Clinic is closed on weekends...damn.
I get back here and take Rio down to check the well and tanks. Look for tracks.
Rio blasts out the door as usual and takes off running after critters.
Get back in the truck and drive towards the big tank, I'll pick him up on the way.
There he is in the bottom, looks like he is digging.
I stop near him and he is not digging. He is trying to get up.
His back legs won't work and he falls trying.
He tries again as I limp up and I can find no wounds, breaks, snake bites. He shows no sign of pain, just distress. I try and lift him to carry to truck and my hip is in full pain mode.
It takes all I have on the 3rd try and I get him on the tail gate and into the bed.
I drive up to the house and park in the shade and run to get him some water. I get back and he is standing, shakey but standing. He drinks some and I put the gate down and he hops out landing wobbly.
For 2 days he is shakey on his feet, then yesterday seems ok again .

We're both old and need to watch each others back. He knows something is up with me. Looks at me with concern.

I'm not much of a believer, but will take the thoughts and prayers.
Mom always said "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".
I feel guilty sneaking out and leaving Rio here alone inside. But he will be fine and we'll have dinner together tonight after the trip to radiology.

Biggest scare was Sat. after I went to town to call(service) and found out my med. scripts had not gotten to my pharmacy. Clinic is closed on weekends...damn.
I get back here and take Rio down to check the well and tanks. Look for tracks.
Rio blasts out the door as usual and takes off running after critters.
Get back in the truck and drive towards the big tank, I'll pick him up on the way.
There he is in the bottom, looks like he is digging.
I stop near him and he is not digging. He is trying to get up.
His back legs won't work and he falls trying.
He tries again as I limp up and I can find no wounds, breaks, snake bites. He shows no sign of pain, just distress. I try and lift him to carry to truck and my hip is in full pain mode.
It takes all I have on the 3rd try and I get him on the tail gate and into the bed.
I drive up to the house and park in the shade and run to get him some water. I get back and he is standing, shakey but standing. He drinks some and I put the gate down and he hops out landing wobbly.
For 2 days he is shakey on his feet, then yesterday seems ok again .

We're both old and need to watch each others back. He knows something is up with me. Looks at me with concern.

I'm not much of a believer, but will take the thoughts and prayers.
Mom always said "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".
I feel guilty sneaking out and leaving Rio here alone inside. But he will be fine and we'll have dinner together tonight after the trip to radiology.
I'm also starting to realize the meaning of my 97-yr-old uncle's exclamation one day when he said, "Getting old ain't for wimps!" Sometimes your enthusiastic mind "writes checks" that your aging body can't "cash". Likely Rio's enthusiasm pushed him over the top of physical agility in chasing and he gave out for awhile.
Here's to your health and fitness, hoping and praying you find a procedure, cure, method, or something that keeps you doing what you love to do in your great outdoor environment and outback neighborhood ... without the pain and strain you are presently experiencing.

Thankful for answers, and hoping the solution/s to the problems enable you (and Rio!) to have a continuing meaningful life.

Edit to add this.....

“I believe; help my unbelief” is at once a statement of faith and an admission that our faith is far from perfect. It can apply to one and all of us. God speed to you fine New Mexico gentlemen.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your health Hank, I finished treatment for prostate cancer three years ago and have been clear ever since. If you have to do radiation it may take some lifestyle adjustments for a while since you have to be there every day. Hormone therapy just plain sucks, period. It doesn't seem so bad for the first three or four months but then it hits you hard after that. Good luck, I really feel for you. If you ever want to talk to someone who's been through it, just PM me. I'll be glad to help in whatever way I can.

Sorry to hear about your health Hank, I finished treatment for prostate cancer three years ago and have been clear ever since. If you have to do radiation it may take some lifestyle adjustments for a while since you have to be there every day. Hormone therapy just plain sucks, period. It doesn't seem so bad for the first three or four months but then it hits you hard after that. Good luck, I really feel for you. If you ever want to talk to someone who's been through it, just PM me. I'll be glad to help in whatever way I can.
I have the call to my aunt to make. I spent my uncles last 2 weeks with him in the hospital and was with her that morning the call came. Same deal only that was 15 years ago.
Did hospice for both my parents in 1998,they died of cancer within 6 weeks of each other.

I guess I saved the toughest life of my 9 for the last.

Hank, sorry to hear this. I guess Rio didn't want you to be alone in pain, hang in there and prayer.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back