Guess Hank's gauge.

9.25 inches since June. A month or 2 to go with monsoons.
Have a dry spell going, sort of. It only spit today.

Could be a great year for NM & AZ elk, size wise. Maybe a Booner year.
Could be tough hunting. Food and water everywhere. Opposite of normal.

I have not heard from one hunter.
But I've been busy dealing with my health, and cell service that went from bad to terrible.
Verizon, we don't give a shit...can you hear me now?

The sciatica is a side show it turns out, stage 4 prostate cancer.
Have a good no nonsense Doc. Tough way to get a primary care physician.
Tomorrow will be my 4th trip into Alb. to the clinic this month.
CT, bone density done. Biopsy next month after meeting with the woke hand holders.
No chemo. HRT is the new deal. 10 years +-...

Debated posting but after an hour long call(an actual call came thru) with baby sister just now, I decided what the hell . The only folks I know are here...I got this.

Today was the 1st day since Memorial day I have not been in pain and I have an idea of what the hell is going on.
Rio and I had a good day.

I’m really Sorry to hear that Hank.

I guess I saved the toughest life of my 9 for the last.
Hell, Hank, you may only be on number 7 or 8. I thought for sure I was on number 9 when the doc. told me I had kidney cancer. I lost a kidney out of that deal, but the tumor turned out to be something else entirely. Then I thought for sure number 9 was up again when the same doc. told me I had prostate cancer but now that is beginning to look like it was just another faze.

Sometimes it's hard but keep positive.

Biggest scare was Sat. after I went to town to call(service) and found out my med. scripts had not gotten to my pharmacy. Clinic is closed on weekends...damn.
I get back here and take Rio down to check the well and tanks. Look for tracks.
Rio blasts out the door as usual and takes off running after critters.
Get back in the truck and drive towards the big tank, I'll pick him up on the way.
There he is in the bottom, looks like he is digging.
I stop near him and he is not digging. He is trying to get up.
His back legs won't work and he falls trying.
He tries again as I limp up and I can find no wounds, breaks, snake bites. He shows no sign of pain, just distress. I try and lift him to carry to truck and my hip is in full pain mode.
It takes all I have on the 3rd try and I get him on the tail gate and into the bed.
I drive up to the house and park in the shade and run to get him some water. I get back and he is standing, shakey but standing. He drinks some and I put the gate down and he hops out landing wobbly.
For 2 days he is shakey on his feet, then yesterday seems ok again .

We're both old and need to watch each others back. He knows something is up with me. Looks at me with concern.

I'm not much of a believer, but will take the thoughts and prayers.
Mom always said "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".
I feel guilty sneaking out and leaving Rio here alone inside. But he will be fine and we'll have dinner together tonight after the trip to radiology.
Hank, its a little hard to catch my breath while reading your latest posts. Like others here, I feel like I know you a bit because of your honest and personal posts, and of course your excellent taste in music. Thanks for deciding to post your news, probably not an easy decision. Everyone here knows that you and Rio are a family, and family comes 1st. I am sending you prayers, vibes, good thoughts, whichever you prefer, Today make it a slice of healing pie with a big scoop of strength a la mode. If writing things down helps, I'll read every post. You and Rio are foremost in my thoughts today.

First off,
Thanks one and all for the good juju.
Just got back from Alb. clinic and meeting with the radiologist and my nurse/guide. Nice guy, straight shooter, lets roll. Says pain should start subsiding after 1st few hits. Positive vibes, and the nurses are on it. Gathering more history. My nurse/guide gal who I have been talking to, is on it.

Arrows pointing forward!

I get test/mapped for the treatments next Wed. and they start later in Sept. 10-14 days of 10-20 min sessions.
Looks like lot of driving. Rio can wait in truck during treatments if need be. Or help point to new reasons for new flooring...no more bacon & eggs and leave him in house the next day....LOL. Neighbor will take me in for biopsy.

Talking to my aunt this morning gave me more hope, and history. I forgot my uncle had this beat for 14 years. And found out his bro,my other uncle had it 10 years ago and is cancer free now,90 plus.
Similar treatments, 10 years earlier.
Family support is growing.

Calls from HTers and pms are noted.

We all are humans and knowledge is power. Power supplies tenacity.

First off,
Thanks one and all for the good juju.
Just got back from Alb. clinic and meeting with the radiologist and my nurse/guide. Nice guy, straight shooter, lets roll. Says pain should start subsiding after 1st few hits. Positive vibes, and the nurses are on it. Gathering more history. My nurse/guide gal who I have been talking to, is on it.

Arrows pointing forward!

I get test/mapped for the treatments next Wed. and they start later in Sept. 10-14 days of 10-20 min sessions.
Looks like lot of driving. Rio can wait in truck during treatments if need be. Or help point to new reasons for new flooring...no more bacon & eggs and leave him in house the next day....LOL. Neighbor will take me in for biopsy.

Talking to my aunt this morning gave me more hope, and history. I forgot my uncle had this beat for 14 years. And found out his bro,my other uncle had it 10 years ago and is cancer free now,90 plus.
Similar treatments, 10 years earlier.
Family support is growing.

Calls from HTers and pms are noted.

We all are humans and knowledge is power. Power supplies tenacity.
Way to keep positive and keep us informed! Hang in there tough guy!

Thoughts and prayers and good juju to you, I’m sure you’ll whip this. Hope treatments go well and you have lots of pie in your future.

Get Rio a Service Dog vest and take him with you. They can't ask what type Service Dog he is. I would call him my emotional support dog. Please don't leave him in a vehicle.

Get Rio a Service Dog vest and take him with you. They can't ask what type Service Dog he is. I would call him my emotional support dog. Please don't leave him in a vehicle.
The only time I've heard of a place asking for verification is if you are flying with a service dog.

Please don’t do this. Nothing worse than someone who actually has a TRAINED service dog getting the stink eyes from the folks negativity exposed to a holes who just slapped a vest on a Mut.

I don't believe Hank is an a hole or that Rio is some mut. That was a little insulting,,,,
Not directed at him. It’s at everyone who prints a certificate off Al Gore’s internet and buys a service dog vest in Amazon.

Those folks do a disservice to everyone who took the time and energy to actually train and socialize a medically needed animal.

If your dog has not been thru a qualified course and graduated from a professional accredited trainer, it is NOT a service dog.

Me , I been called mutt and a hole.
But Rio , never.

I never leave Rio in the truck if the temps are up above 80's. That is why he has been left home recently.
I am not going to start putting him in a kennel either. Or hand him over to someone he does not know.
I would be an a hole to do that.

He is doing fine and was very happy to see me yesterday and wanted to play, try & knock me over. Easy big guy.
I needed new carpet anyway. Cleaner went on the list for the trip to the store today and make some calls.
I made a joke yesterday morning to him and said, "Well, at least I don't have ulcerative colitis!"
He said , "Hold my bone"...

Just catching up on this one Hank. Sorry to hear your news. On the positive side, it’s a very treatable cancer. Keep your head up…you got this, though it will suck sometimes. Something tells me you can handle it 😁

Hope Rio is faring better too. Tough when the hind leg issues start. They don’t know they aren’t puppies anymore.

You two take care out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back