Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grouse Season is Almost Here

This must now be locked as the original title no longer applies. However, Bozelanta area NOAA forecast is mid to high 80's for most of the week - "hot dogs, hot feet". So maybe "almost here" is still applicable.

This must now be locked as the original title no longer applies. However, Bozelanta area NOAA forecast is mid to high 80's for most of the week - "hot dogs, hot feet". So maybe "almost here" is still applicable.

Also, sage grouse season hasn’t started yet, at least not in CO and WY.

In other news my hunt was less than stellar. My pup has a single dusky contact in the morning. We found a mess of sharptails in the evening, but they were all right by the roads and flushed before I could get the dog out each time.

Man, I need to get a dog...

That being said, I'm headed out solo to bust brush and maybe flush a bird. Had to work this weekend, but have today off. Wish me luck.

Buddy and I took an 8 mile round trip hike up a favorite trail this evening that seems to often have some ruffed grouse low and blues high. It was 90 degrees and we both knew we were pretty much taking the guns for a walk. Proved to be true. Jumped one ruffed grouse who didn't have the decency to land in a tree where we could get a shot. Thinking some early morning hikes up the trail will be more productive next week. Blues have mostly been way up high on the ridgelines so far this year.

Only two birds presented themselves this weekend. Heat was rough early so we were done by 11. First time I've hunted in a fishing shirt & shorts.

Buddy pulled off a nice shot on a big hen and Greta found it quick. Told her to fetch & she looked at me and said "you're 10 #$&_ing feet from me. Pick it up yourself."

Tried out the new camp chef stove on a tri-tip.roast as well. Turned out a little too medium, but the flavor was great.

Fishing was slow, but nothing finer than a cast & blast weekend in southwestern Montana.

Mountain grouse this weekend.

IMG_20190901_111911.jpg

IMG_20190831_173351.jpg

Here's my grouse story from the weekend!

We took a family and friends camping trip to mostly do some wheeling and checking the area for the upcoming muzzleloader season but me and a buddy squeezed out a few hours of grouse hiking. Long story short, we went up and down and up and down around water, in the woods and back to camp we went.

Then the wife and I wanted to take a little drive to an area to scout the road conditions. Our 2 kids + our friends 3 kids aged 2 - 9 wanted to go so I elected to leave guns in camp. While driving up the road, we stop to allow some cattle to cross then wouldn't you know..... 3 grouse ripe for the picking waltz across the trail and hold at 10 yards.... Lesson learned!

That seems about right, wolfpup. The law of averages on finding grouse when you're not looking for them is stacked in favor of the grouse.

I went on an elk hunt with a friend and came home with a limit of duskies. We were leaving the area when I noticed a grouse tail feather in the middle of the trail. Minutes later we bumped four. I had no weapon and he only had broadheads. We hiked back to the truck then drove back to camp to get a shotgun and field tips. We hiked back in and found the group of grouse again after some serious hide and seek. I bagged three and he bagged one. We found several more, but the hunt was cut short by a nasty thunderstorm.

DF5D2A59-52CE-4391-832D-99C85F0ACD15.jpeg

The only meat in the cooler so far in archery season...the elk are being extraordinarily stubborn this year. This bird was a gift just a few minutes after an errant wind gust blew an encounter on a nice 5 point. He had 2 buddies flush nearby but I've learned that shooting up into the trees is a good way to throw away arrows...

We have finally started to see the males in decent numbers. No sign of family groups yet.

IMG_7157.JPG

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back