MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Grouse Season is Almost Here

jtm307

Calling in rutting bulls has its place, but most of the time I prefer chasing grouse. Who else is counting down the days until the grouse opener? I’ve really upped my dog training game (from zero to mediocre) and am super excited to hike through the sage and snowberries with a Brittany at my side and a shotgun in my hand.
271E8ACF-6663-4803-9A5A-C39E532A6F54.jpeg

Can’t wait! This is the first year I’ll have a trained dog (mostly) and I’m reasonably confident of hitting what I fire at.

Love getting after ruffed grouse. Unfortunately numbers here are low, with West Nile a possible culprit. About six weeks to go though.

Sage grouse up first for opener. Doing a cast & blast on a certain SW MT river that has some sagies close by. 3 days of fun with dogs & guns. Can't wait to get after 'em.

Thinking some Mtn grouse farther north for a few days as well as hitting the usual haunts for sharpies & huns. And a good 4 day trip out to APR country for sharpies & huns and possibly ditch parrots if they're in season yet. Gonna be a fun full, regardless of dead birds.

I might get lucky and bag a few sharptails while chaising pheasants. Our bird populations are still recovering from the 2017 drought.

Two weeks out. I will have 7 days/week to choose from:D.

I sometimes wonder if, when she's hangin' out in the boat, her mind's on the hills and the birds..............
jhr.JPG
jbb.jpeg
And the old pro is ready for season # 12........
IMGP1648.JPG
I'm guessing poor blue grouse numbers this year where we chase 'em.
We'll see..................

And by the way, all my blue grouse hunting is on PUBLIC LANDS - DAVID BERNHARDT, you can kiss my dog's asses.

Last edited:
I'm super stoked! My brittany got me my first sharpies ever last year and I'm ready to get him on some more in two weeks.

I miss MN grouse hunting. 2006 was the last time I went. Have to make it up there again sooner than later

The wife and I are counting the days until grouse season opens here in UT! We typically hunt in Idaho in Island Park area but are staying close to home this season. Have not hunted birds here in UT but hopefully we will have some luck this season.

September 1 I will be out after honkers. Grouse season opens soon after, looking forward to hitting the aspen stands and scrub oaks. Hunt the mornings, fish for muskies and smallies on the St Croix in the afternoon. Great time to be alive

Back