Caribou Gear Tarp

Grizzly attack in Ovando

A common misconception is all grizzlies look alike. Nothing could be further from the truth. We had eighty grizzlies at Brooks Camp the season I worked there. The bear techs could usually identify any one of them on sight. I knew probably thirty different bears on sight. They all had numbers and many had unofficial monikers that were easier to remember (e.g. Egberta, BB, Ted, etc. ... I nominated "Skull Crusher" as a name for a huge new arrival but I think the chief biologist went with Trixie ... more politically correct for the dog and pony show they're running for visitors). Anyway, if FWP had good photos of that bear around town that night before the attack, it's likely the bear folks had it adequately IDed before shooting it.

Last edited:
Ain't that the truth....and is getting worse with each passing year. Way past time to hunt them.
It was pointed out that hunting would have done nothing to prevent this incident. I am in support of hunting grizz as well, but put little credence in that as a deterrent to the very infrequent mauling incidents, most of which involve inadvertent sudden close encounter or protection of cubs or food source (carcass).

Plus I am concerned about the unthinking nimrods who will undoubtedly bait the bears and perhaps cause unnecessary bear - human encounters.

hell hath no fury like MTFWP when they need to find *any* living griz ASAP
That is really unfair. You don't hear about 99% of the cases where FWP goes out and handles problem bears bears by relocating or conditioning. They just do their job. Sure, if someone gets drug out of a tent and eaten they are going to be aggressive in how they handle it.

Anyone living in grizzly country who puts out f*&ing bird feeders should be tarred and feathered ... by his neighbours! Just as well dump their trash on the front lawn. Super stupid.
Wouldn't go to that extent... I understand your point. :) Not my preferred choice of feeder settings. Their current setting works just fine. I don't have a problem with people setting up bird feeders, so long as done properly. Hell... want to go to that extent, garbage containers - find a property in my area with griz proof garbage containers... good luck. we deal with it as we choose.

I think the desire to have DNA confirmation prior to dispatching went out the window after 24 hours of no head on a stake.

While folks are rightfully concerned about FWP's leadership at the moment, let's not assume that the same folks we admire who do the on the ground work would make such a poor decision. FWP staff that work in that valley are good people doing tough work in difficult circumstances.

I'm all for sensibly hunting grizzlies, but 3 deaths in 60 years doesn't seem like much to get worked up about.
There has been two in MT this year alone. Possibly a third as a hiker is currently missing in the beartooths.

The MWFP says 'night vision technology' used, the Guardian says 'night-vision goggles' I wonder what they did use?
Just interested as we use thermal/night vision a lot for shooting vermin, doesn't involve 'goggles'.

There has been two in MT this year alone. Possibly a third as a hiker is currently missing in the beartooths.
Hunting grizz would not have prevented either of the two tragedies in Montana. The missing hiker in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness is a solo peak climber for whom the search is ongoing. Not worthy of speculation regarding a bear attack incident.

I am supportive of grizz bear hunting, but to assert that it will prevent or even reduce bear - human encounters and mauling incidents is invalid.

Why would this boar bear habituated to chicken coops and people not be a hunters target?

Why would this boar bear habituated to chicken coops and people not be a hunters target?
A problem bear becomes the "target" for the state and federal authorities. At that point they typically don't want a public hunter(s) trying to intervene. It is considered a public safety risk.
Depending on the hunting season dates, the hunter's access to information about such a bear, and other circumstances, it might be possible that a hunter finds the bear sooner, but it's not likely that the authorities will be that slow.

Even in areas where bears are hunted, attacks are common and sometimes fatal. To speculate that this bear would have been targeted by a hunter is silly.
A bear hunt in the lower 48 is long overdue, but it will not put an end to these tragedies.

There were several comments that said a hunting season would not have had an effect on this bear, my question was to the reasoning.
Certainly, post incident, a hunting season that starts in October presumably, would not be an option.
But assuming Montana has/had a hunting season.
Why would this bear not be effected by hunting?

Even in areas where bears are hunted, attacks are common and sometimes fatal. To speculate that this bear would have been targeted by a hunter is silly.
A bear hunt in the lower 48 is long overdue, but it will not put an end to these tragedies.

This bear’s behavior brought it into contact with people more?
Hunters take wildlife across a spectrum of size and local, with more animals taken where access availability is easier.

Why is the premise that a habituated bear close or near a human population will have a higher likelihood of harvest a silly premise?

Anyone living in grizzly country who puts out f*&ing bird feeders should be tarred and feathered ... by his neighbours! Just as well dump their trash on the front lawn. Super stupid.
I should clarify, I don't have a problem with people living in griz country who put out seed bird feeders in the depth of winter when bears are sleeping. That's when the poor tweeties need supplement to their diet, not summertime. And anyone who hangs hummingbird feeders in bear country is truly an idiot. They deserve to be stung to death by hornets those things attract ... if the bears don't tear them to pieces first.

Why would this bear not be effected by hunting?
With a hunting season, this bear may or may not have seen a hunter or been aware of gunfire. Most bears are very elusive ... unless and until they are pushed out by other bears and/or find easier food sources such as chicken coops, campsites with careless campers, livestock, granaries and such, then it seems nothing deters the bad bear behavior. Hunting, rubber rounds, bear spray, loud noises ... nothing seems to discourage them from returning to easier pickings ... and they have excellent memories and olfactory sense when it comes to food.

About the only way hunting would have been involved is if the hunter had a July bear season license, became aware of the bear behavior early on, and beat the authorities to the area.
Even then, the folks in Ovando and the bikers may not have wanted someone wandering around at night with a firearm. Wait ... you can't typically hunt at night!

This bear’s behavior brought it into contact with people more?
Hunters take wildlife across a spectrum of size and local, with more animals taken where access availability is easier.

Why is the premise that a habituated bear close or near a human population will have a higher likelihood of harvest a silly premise?
A few on here, including this writer, are old enough to remember when Montana was still wild enough to support grizzly hunting. I can tell you that back then the bears still wandered through towns like Ovando. I remember one morning in '64 my dad coming back into the house we were living in at the Hungry Horse "Bureau Camp" before going to day shift at the dam. He woke us up to show us a huge fresh grizzly track in the snow right outside the front door. That bear had traversed the entire width of the community, north to south, to reach our house on the edge of the woods.

One of the reports I heard on the news was a resident came home and found claw marks and damage to her door. I believe this is the same location with second chicken coop that had been damaged by the bear. The bear was shot as it was returning to that location. Was it the correct bear? I think the odd's are pretty good it was but the dna test will tell us for sure. If it isn't the same bear it was one developing bad habits and for sure to be a future problem.
All this arm chair quarterbacking is wearing me out I need a cup of coffee.
Dan

A few on here, including this writer, are old enough to remember when Montana was still wild enough to support grizzly hunting. I can tell you that back then the bears still wandered through towns like Ovando. I remember one morning in '64 my dad coming back into the house we were living in at the Hungry Horse "Bureau Camp" before going to day shift at the dam. He woke us up to show us a huge fresh grizzly track in the snow right outside the front door. That bear had traversed the entire width of the community, north to south, to reach our house on the edge of the woods.
I bet you were pretty scared to check your bird feeders after seeing that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back