Grim Reaper Broadheads

Brian in Montana

I met a guy packing out an elk this weekend and had a little conversation. He'd shot a 5-pt with a Grim Reaper. I've never tried them because they always looked a little flimsy to me. And also just the name "Grim Reaper" just seems so hoaky. He said he's shot a number of bulls whit them and they're the best performing BH he's used on elk. He was carrying the bull's shoulder blade because that's where he hit him. The shoulder blade had a perfect 3-blade hole through it, and he said the arrow lodged in the opposite shoulder for a very quick kill. Gotta admit, I was impressed. Do any of you guys use Grim Reapers on big game like elk or moose?

Mechanical broadheads aren't legal in ID, but if they were I'd probably still shy away from them. For one, any/all mechanicals can and will fail to deploy at some point, my cut on contacts will always cut on contact, no matter what. Second, everything points to penetration being key for a quick kill, and mechanicals end up using some of the momentum to deploy their blades - that's how ever much less momentum driving my arrow through the far side. Personally, on game as big as elk/moose, I'll keep as much of that in my arrow as possible.

Sounds like they worked for the guy you met up with, but for me, I'll just keep with a good, sharp, heavy weighted cut on contact broadhead. YMMV.

I've seen four bulls shot with them, between 25 and 60 yards. Not a large sample, but the broadheads did their job every time.

I’ve killed three bears with them. The animals all piled up within 40 yards. I wouldn’t shoot anything else.

I am a fixed blade guy myself ( Thunderhead 100's) they have never let me down, HOWEVER, a couple years ago while hunting I had a coyote come by and didn't have time to switch arrows..dead coyote! ….5 minutes later after a rattling sequence, in walks a good buck and low and behold my other 2 arrows were a field point and a mechanical ( cheap one for coyotes etc) lol. I shot him at 50 yds and he didn't go 15 yds! SOOOOO.... I don't knock them too much! lol

Attachments

• 2015 Bow.jpeg
    2015 Bow.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2015-11-07_14.05.02.jpeg
    2015-11-07_14.05.02.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 19
I met a guy packing out an elk this weekend and had a little conversation. He'd shot a 5-pt with a Grim Reaper. I've never tried them because they always looked a little flimsy to me. And also just the name "Grim Reaper" just seems so hoaky. He said he's shot a number of bulls whit them and they're the best performing BH he's used on elk. He was carrying the bull's shoulder blade because that's where he hit him. The shoulder blade had a perfect 3-blade hole through it, and he said the arrow lodged in the opposite shoulder for a very quick kill. Gotta admit, I was impressed. Do any of you guys use Grim Reapers on big game like elk or moose?

I use Grim Reapers and G5 Montec fixed-blade's. I have a use for each. Mostly, 25 yards or less will get the fixed blade and mostly, 30 yards or beyond, with wind, will get the GR's. I can vouch for the GR's and their effectiveness and so can the elk in my freezer right now, that came for his victory ride home with me on Friday. GR at 35 yards. Entry wound in the chest cavity looked like I had shot him with a rifle there was so much bruising. Clean pass-through and dead elk. You can be confident in these heads.

I have shot a bear and doe with them. Both clean kills expired within 50 yards

I lost a bull the year before last using a Rocket Steelhead. Back when most my bow hunting was for deer sized game I was a big fan of mechs, but I swore them off and went with Viper Tricks. I always like to stability in flight and lack wind plane you get with mechs, but penetration is hugely important on elk. If I decide to try mechanicals again, I might just go with Grim Reaper.

Grim reaper is broad. Do you know which broad head he was using? They’re well known for mechanical broadheads but have an assortment of mechanical, fixed blade, and hybrids. I’m looking at pulling the trigger and buying the fixed blade micro hades.

I lost a bull the year before last using a Rocket Steelhead. Back when most my bow hunting was for deer sized game I was a big fan of mechs, but I swore them off and went with Viper Tricks. I always like to stability in flight and lack wind plane you get with mechs, but penetration is hugely important on elk. If I decide to try mechanicals again, I might just go with Grim Reaper.
Just killed a bull on Sat with viper tricks, you can have confidence in them as well. Took out a chunk of rib and went right through him. One of my hunting partners thought I had missed because the arrow flew off into oblivion, didn't find it. I like them and they tune well for me out to 60yrds (as far as I've shot the broadhead) It's not all about the head either, my setup is 70lbs, 260fps, 485gr arrow. Did you happen to ask the hunter what his full setup was? That can make a big difference.

Not to throw a wrench in the works here but what about "hybrids?" I was skeptical of them ,but last year I took a quartering away shot on a black bear with an ultraviolet from Afflictor, passed clear through and left a blood trail that looked like someone took red marking paint between the point of impact and the bear. Dropped after about 100y. I like the idea of the cut on contact tip and the larger cutting blades deploying on impact. Although, the more I've messed with those particular heads the more I wish the "drive key," system were much much easier to deploy, I'm confident they will fail at some time, so I'm likely to either find a way to adjust them or they will be retired.

Grim Reaper in the 1-3/8” cut was one of the original that had an awesome reputation. I am sure you can find old post of guys stacking up some tough animals in Africa with that head.

I've been with guys that have used them to kill whitetail. They've always done the job.

Would they work? Absolutely. Are there options on the market that give a great margin of error, should you require it? In my opinion, yes.

Mechanical broadheads aren't legal in ID, but if they were I'd probably still shy away from them. For one, any/all mechanicals can and will fail to deploy at some point, my cut on contacts will always cut on contact, no matter what. Second, everything points to penetration being key for a quick kill, and mechanicals end up using some of the momentum to deploy their blades - that's how ever much less momentum driving my arrow through the far side. Personally, on game as big as elk/moose, I'll keep as much of that in my arrow as possible.

Sounds like they worked for the guy you met up with, but for me, I'll just keep with a good, sharp, heavy weighted cut on contact broadhead. YMMV.

They are a good quality broadhead hilled dozens of pigs in texas and many wt in newhampshire never had one fail

I've been with guys that have used them to kill whitetail. They've always done the job.

Would they work? Absolutely. Are there options on the market that give a great margin of error, should you require it? In my opinion, yes.
Swackers are another good mechanical broadhead option

I have killed around 20 Whitetails with Grim Reaper Mechanicals 1 3/8" and 1 1/2". I have never had a failure with them. For me they are very accurate. Several of my hunting buddies use them also. All my shots were pass throughs except for one. That buck was over 200 lbs. and the arrow passed through a scapula, and a rib on a quartering to shot. The arrow was sticking out the off side about 10". Lots of good broadheads on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back