Greybull, Wy

Bigjay73

Going to Greybull to do some scouting for my Nov WT hunt. Is there anything else to do up there? Fishing, sight seeing etc?

Fishing in Shell Creek is pretty fun if the water isn't too high. Can also fish the Bighorn River right near town for catfish, sturgeon, sauger, etc. Bighorn Canyon Nat'l Rec Area is amazing and not far away. Really can't go wrong by going up into the Bighorns to explore.

Yeah the only thing I can think of I'd want to do in Greybull in the heat of summer is leave Greybull and head into the mountains. Shell Canyon/Shell Falls is cool. It's an hour to Tensleep for the brewery if that's of interest.

There are some dinosaur footprints and some old digs on the way towards Shell. The BLM around there also has some fossil sea creature things just laying out in the sun sometimes. You can float the Big Horn River in an inner tube through that stretch if its hot, too. It can take a couple hours to get from one end of town to the other, and its not a big town. It does get pretty hot there. The Big Horns are probably the place to be, though. I like the Paintrock Lakes area on that side of the hill. I think you go up Red Gulch road past the footprints, up to the mountain through some badlandy stuff to Paintrock Lakes Road down to Hyattville for a scenic road trip. Just Shell Canyon on the highway is pretty good site seeing I think. If you go down to the Ten Sleep/Hyattville type area there are some petroglyphs towards the mountains and the Medicine Wheel up past Lovell (opposite directions from Greybull) in the mountains. The museum is alright if you like that stuff, not big though. Baseball is probably the only spectator sport around, just up to high schooler age. Its been awhile for me, though, so check a map to make sure that path is right. My switches upstairs can be a little faulty. I forgot about the airplane museum. They have some cool old planes.

Last edited:
Definitely go to visit Buffalo Bill Center of West any outdoorsman/gun guy should visit it. Greybull ain't to exciting bring fishing pole get daily license, if u bring 4wheeler head up to bighorn canyon, it's a little north but hike porcupine falls. When in doubt bust coyotes!

I shot my first antelope near Greybull, many moons ago. Its very interesting country up there. I don't recall doing much besides hunting and having some beers in a weird little bar at one point, but think that was actually in Basin.

When I worked at a dude ranch in Cody, a few Saturday nights in the summer the town of Greybull shut down main street and had a street dance with live music. Unlike Texas, in Wyoming you can go into a bar, buy a drink and walk out with the drink in your hand so we thought that was cool along with the unusually high number of young early 20's something girls that work in the tourist industry in the summer. I am not sure if they do that every Saturday night or if that was like a one time thing, but to a 21 year old full of energy and bad intentions, it was a blast.

Fishing The big horn is about impossible without a jet boat right now with the run off. Shell creek was blown out last week as well. Pizza and beer at the burlington place in Burlington is a must might bump into a rancher that will let you hunt too (assuming you have a 124 tag), The Arrow S has awesome food as well. Greybull has a few bars but nothing exciting this weekend Cody will be loaded with people for the 4th and the rodeos. Some good fishing in Meeteetse at upper Sunshine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back