Caribou Gear

Greg Merriam/Discount Hunts LLC

Hey all- I'm a little late to the game, but just worked through this thread and I, as a hunt coordinator for a ranch in Colorado, worked personally with Greg. He's a big scam and he'll screw you over at the drop of a hat. He took a good chunk off the top, refused to ever sign any sort of contract, sent us hunters who were told entirely false information about our ranch and our elk and made us look terrible. Also never got back to us when we needed to sort this out. He used my pictures from our website to post on his website (sounds to be a repeat issue). Don't trust this guy as far as you can throw him and get in contact with ranches themselves if you want to go that route. Even as a ranch hunting representative, I stand behind the public land hunts if you are physically able!

I never got a response from anyone with any experience with him back when I started this thread but I came to the same conclusion. Something didnt seem right or should I say it sounded "too good to be true". We ended up doing a DIY in CO and had a great hunt so glad we didnt waste any time or money working with him.

Suckers. There's one born every minute. The website lists one Sharon Merriam as owner and CFO currently.

Look what showed up in my LinkedIn inbox today. I wonder how I was picked for this solicitation.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 62
I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else searches for the name Greg Merriam.

I had a close friend that went on a semi-guided hunt in October. They opted to go with an outfitter since his hunting buddy on this trip was an older guy and wasnt physically able to hike that far in. They paid $4K for access to what they were told was 8000+ acres of private land that hadnt been hunted in 4 years in Unit 751. They were excited so they got out there a couple days early and decided to hunt on public for the first couple days to acclimate to the area. They covered a lot of land but never found any sign of elk on the public. On the first morning they were supposed to be picked up by the outfitter and taken to the hunting area, he called and said he was watching some elk and would come get them when they bedded down. That was odd because again it was semi-guided and he was just supposed to be showing them to the property. He picks them up around 10am and ends up taking them to his daughters house and tells them they can hunt from the porch and that the elk cross her yard. The area her porch is overlooking was the exact same public land they were hunting the two days before which they showed him on OnX. After a long and I'm sure passionate discussion, they said this wasnt what they paid for and wanted their money back. The outfitter agreed to refund their money but said it may take some time. They hunted a few spots on public for a couple more days and even rented horses and rode back into an area but werent able to find any promising areas and ended up heading home.

When he got home and was telling me the story I jokingly said the guys name wasnt Greg Merriam was it since thats the only name I know at this point good or bad for booking hunts. He quickly did a double take and asked me how I know that name. Turns out Greg Merriam was the broker for the deal. I told him I wish he told me that before they went out there as I could have told him what I learned on here.

The good news for them is they paid with a credit card. They contacted the credit card company and filed a fraud dispute since the services they paid for were not what was received. The credit card company investigated and Greg and the Outfitter claimed they did provided the services requested. They even created a false timeline of events and locations which my friend was able to disprove since he had gas and credit card receipts showing he was not where they claimed they were. In the end, it took a few months but the CC company determined it was in fact fraud and refunded my friends money. He still doesnt get back the time or money he paid for gas, hotels, tags, etc but at least its something.

Turns out I dodged a bullet years ago when I chose not to use him but was sad to hear my friend ended up getting burned by the same guy. All this to say DIY is definitely a better way to go.

I/we had an almost identical experience with Discount hunts using John Bagley as the guide. Long story short, they got 16-18 of us in exactly the same way last season(November 2019) right now we are starting a class action suit against discount hunts, if your friend isn’t already in he should reach out.

Gotta love a guy that fluffs the reviews of his own business, lol

Screenshot_20200508-163258_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-163250_Facebook.jpg

Man do I ever wish I would’ve been on this thread before our trip this year, Greg is exactly as advertise. Nothing more than a con man!!

My dad and I booked a drop camp hunt through discount hunts, camp plus access to hunt exclusively on 3,000 acres of private land.
after narrowly avoiding a fist fight with a 78 year old outfitter who was also a bit on the shady side we contacted Greg and told him the situation and requested a full refund CLICK WENT THE PHONE LINE.
We had driven 23 hours to find out how crappy of a person this guy truly was.

Big thanks to ShedCrazy for putting us into contact with a great guy to help save our bacon. And restore our faith in humanit.

Hey Yal, i am sorry to hear bout some of yals bad experiences with Greg Merriam at Discount Hunts! I used his service to book 3 hunts for Mule Deer out of Craig Co this last hunting season 2020. All i can say is It was exactly as he said it was. We were on a semi guided hunt on land that the guide had leased for years. We saw more Mule Deer than you can imagine! Infact Greg called it the fish bowl hunt and i can see why...deer were everywhere! We passed on a lot of bucks and got blown by even more. Deer Eyes were on us all the time from some direction. We all three tagged out. You had to be able to shoot a min or 250 yards and out to 500 yards cause of the landscape. I am using Greg to book more hunts this year. I got nothing but goods things to say. Hope who ever books with him has the same experience. I imagine its hard to be a booking service and have all the outfitters live up to his expectations.
Happy Hunting Folks! MAGA
Flcountryboy

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_214350.jpg
    IMG_20210308_214350.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 60
Hey Yal, i am sorry to hear bout some of yals bad experiences with Greg Merriam at Discount Hunts! I used his service to book 3 hunts for Mule Deer out of Craig Co this last hunting season 2020. All i can say is It was exactly as he said it was. We were on a semi guided hunt on land that the guide had leased for years. We saw more Mule Deer than you can imagine! Infact Greg called it the fish bowl hunt and i can see why...deer were everywhere! We passed on a lot of bucks and got blown by even more. Deer Eyes were on us all the time from some direction. We all three tagged out. You had to be able to shoot a min or 250 yards and out to 500 yards cause of the landscape. I am using Greg to book more hunts this year. I got nothing but goods things to say. Hope who ever books with him has the same experience. I imagine its hard to be a booking service and have all the outfitters live up to his expectations.
Flcountryboy
Great first post!

Great first post!
Flcountryboy

Glad to hear that you had a good hunt. However yours is the first and only good review ive seen on him. What's the expression, a broken clock is right twice a day. I hunted Craig, CO also and will agree the deer are plentiful there. We went 3 for 3 on public land and had the same experience with seeing large quantities. I actually talked to an outfitters there who was offering guaranteed harvests or your money back. When I asked him how he does that he said that there are just that many deer. That is what ultimately made me decide to save my money and hunt public.

Flcountryboy
Greg is that you?

Greg is that you?
My name is Brad and i live in Florida where i grew up. I have hunted many times with outfitters around the Country. Some are as advertised and some are not. Booking a hunt through Greg was 1st time using a booking service. I found Greg's knowledge of hunting and places he books to be exceptional and well vetted. Being that i have hunted with multiple outfitters, i can only imagine how hard it is to try to satisfy everyone's expectations! The Hunt out of Craig was as described and actually exceeded expectations. I have also hunted Muleys in NE Montana with similar numbers of deer observed as in Craig.
God willing... I hope to book many more hunts through Greg and Sharon Merriam's service. I would encourage others who have interest to give them a try. Especially if trying to hunt on a limited budget. After all, gotta hold back some money for getting that new trophy mounted...lol
Hope everyone has a great 2021 hunting season...just gotta get out there!
Flcountryboy

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back