"Greenwashing at it's best"

Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

They are in that order for a reason…

I have a grocery bag from 10 years ago that I use every week, I gotta think that’s one of the least greenwashed things.

Is-this-guy.jpg

My idea of recycling plastic grocery bags equates to "reuse", one term. P/U dog turds when walking my dog in this new city world. This is a feel-good, "Green" moment for me.

This Coors is for you, Wllm.

Description​

Governor Newsom signed into law Assembly Bill 793 (Ting and Irwin, Chapter 115, Statutes of 2020) on September 24, 2020, which establishes recycled content standards for plastic beverage containers subject to the California Refund Value (CRV). The law requires a postconsumer plastic recycled content standard of 15 percent beginning January 1, 2022, increasing to 25 percent on 2025 and 50 percent on 2030.

The law will help improve the market for recycled plastic by increasing the demand, thus increasing the scrap value of the material for recycling centers operating in the Beverage Container Recycling Program BCRP.

Non-compliant beverage manufacturers will be assessed penalties that will be deposited into the Recycling Enhancement Penalty Account. Funds from this account could be used, subject to appropriation by the Legislature, to support the recycling, infrastructure, collection, and processing of plastic beverage containers in the state. If the Legislature makes an appropriation for this purpose before June 15, 2027, CalRecycle may conduct a study of plastic markets.

In addition, the law requires plastic material reclaimers to report empty plastic beverage containers collected and sold. It also requires manufacturers of postconsumer recycled plastic to report the amount of food-grade and bottle-grade plastic material sold in the state.

Used water bottles make a good spitter. That is Reuse, right?

No because how often do you buy a Gatorade or a mt dew literally for no other reason than to guzzle it and spit in it?

True fact: every can of chew sold results in at least an additional dozen units of demand on plastic bottles.

I’ve chewed my fair share of Copenhagen and then some, I know how it works 😉

I think EV cars and solar panels are two good examples.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I don’t understand why people drink so much bottled water, rather than using tap water. That could eliminate so much plastic. I know some places don’t have very good ground water, but we do. It frustrates the hell out of me that my wife and daughter won’t drink our well water. It’s better than what they are getting in bottles. I also hate the idea of paying so much money for something that is essentially free from the tap.
l have went to using a stainless steel bottle when l go to work, now l can't stand bottled water.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I don’t understand why people drink so much bottled water, rather than using tap water. That could eliminate so much plastic. I know some places don’t have very good ground water, but we do. It frustrates the hell out of me that my wife and daughter won’t drink our well water. It’s better than what they are getting in bottles. I also hate the idea of paying so much money for something that is essentially free from the tap.

People with drinkable well water need to treat it like what it is: A gift from God, or the gods, or circumstance, that you don’t deserve. It’s clean, and comes in varieties, and is sometimes older than you, and doesn’t have to exist.

It’s Dang near disrespectful to a higher power in my opinion to drink municipal water stuffed into plastic bottles when you’ve got gold underneath your feet. I know lots of folks who do and it drives me nuts

And, to be fair, my wife somehow ( a mystery to me) sews rice bags, wild bird seed bags, and cracked corn bags into shopping bags. Don't know how long they will last, but will outlast us. Really sturdy.

And they refused to let let her use them for for a while cause 'covid'.

Also I get a kick out of the garbage guy dumping both the recycling can and the garbage can in the same truck at my parents. After my mom spends all week keeping it separated. Get a laugh everytime.
A friend of mine used to sort the recycling, then put it in her husband's truck for him to drop off at the recycling center. After 20 years, one day he said "Karen, can you stop putting the recycling in my truck? I just throw it in the dumpster at work. Stopping will save us both time." Haha

I learned many years ago as a heavy equipment mechanic. I was working at a trash transfer station where they bring garbage and sorted recycling. I watched them take all the sorted recycling and put it in another teuck headed for the landfill. I asked one of the waste workers WTF and he laughed and asked "You really think they recycle...NO they do it to make everyone feel all happy that they are doing their part to save the earth!" That being said I still recycle here at home. They allow you to throw it in the recycling for free but charge you for bags of trash!

People with drinkable well water need to treat it like what it is: A gift from God, or the gods, or circumstance, that you don’t deserve. It’s clean, and comes in varieties, and is sometimes older than you, and doesn’t have to exist.

It’s Dang near disrespectful to a higher power in my opinion to drink municipal water stuffed into plastic bottles when you’ve got gold underneath your feet. I know lots of folks who do and it drives me nuts
well (ha), mine tastes like a bloody nose if I don't treat it, but yes, I agree.

Ours is some of the best I’ve ever tasted. It’s filtered twice. Once as it comes into the house and once at the refrigerator. Funny thing is they use the ice. I don’t even try to reason with them anymore.

I'm not an environmentalist but I'd really like to see some regulation on plastic and Styrofoam. Both need to be curtailed in their usage, especially when it comes to packaging. I'm amazed sometimes at the packaging used for crap on Amazon to make the product look and feel more premium than it is.

And while I don't like scarcity mentality when it comes to quality of life (food, transportation, energy) but man do we really need all the crap we're ordering online?? If we made online buying more expensive, via regulation on packaging and shipping materials, would that help brick and mortar stores and decrease the economic drain from rural parts of the country?

Pro tip- Convenience them to buy and use gallon jugs and cups because its cheaper and better for the environment.
Partially refill the gallon jugs when no one is looking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back