Yeti GOBOX Collection

"Greenwashing at it's best"

There’s a big thread on it.

you have to remember the totes.
Honestly we got most of ours in europe when I was visiting my parents. Grocery stores there didn't even have bags, literally the only options at check out are to bring your own, buy a reusable one or carry your chit.

But they're massive and sturdy... I mean I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that refuses to do two loads from the car to the house, waaay easier with those bags.

Ikea has great bags.

This is not just about plastics, though they are a huge component.

Bottled water is definitely one.

And despite what @wllm does, I have acquired soo many reusable bags as part of random events, like gift bags, or xmas gifts, that I could never use them all, they're almost all made of plastic, and I still never remember to take them into the store, so I end up either getting the heavy plastic ones (single use are banned in WA) or carrying an armload and shit across the parking lot inevitably dropping the wine, or melon, or the entire bag of apples...

I'm not insinuating we haven't achieved great things through environment regulation. This thread was merely to help point out all of the aspects of life where we're not making any progress and in fact, are probably going backwards.

Guy at work tries to listen to it. He's outnumbered. mtmuley
I was having a brain fart and thinking the American prairie reserve was the national prairie reserve.

I used to listen to Wisconsin public radio every morning because the host had a segment from 6-7 am that would often be about interesting things including hunting, CWD, wolves, outdoors gardening, etc. and she’d usually have have 2 guests to argue both sides of things.

So, guy installed a TV for us today; said business is booming with 10,000 square foot houses going up like dandelions in spring. And many are second or third homes. Flying here on jets.

So yeah, go ahead and recycle plastic bags.

I was having a brain fart and thinking the American prairie reserve was the national prairie reserve.

I used to listen to Wisconsin public radio every morning because the host had a segment from 6-7 am that would often be about interesting things including hunting, CWD, wolves, outdoors gardening, etc. and she’d usually have have 2 guests to argue both sides of things.
You may have come for CWD and Wolves... be we all know you stayed for Keillor

Honestly we got most of ours in europe when I was visiting my parents. Grocery stores there didn't even have bags, literally the only options at check out are to bring your own, buy a reusable one or carry your chit.

But they're massive and sturdy... I mean I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that refuses to do two loads from the car to the house, waaay easier with those bags.

Ikea has great bags.
They charged us for plastic bags in Co when we got some groceries before hunting.

Honestly, my wife only does the online grocery order and they are as wasteful as wasteful can be when it comes to plastic bags. Kind of makes me sick.

This is not just about plastics, though they are a huge component.

Bottled water is definitely one.

And despite what @wllm does, I have acquired soo many reusable bags as part of random events, like gift bags, or xmas gifts, that I could never use them all, they're almost all made of plastic, and I still never remember to take them into the store, so I end up either getting the heavy plastic ones (single use are banned in WA) or carrying an armload and shit across the parking lot inevitably dropping the wine, or melon, or the entire bag of apples...

I'm not insinuating we haven't achieved great things through environment regulation. This thread was merely to help point out all of the aspects of life where we're not making any progress and in fact, are probably going backwards.
I see what you mean. My comment was more narrowly focused on the specific article you shared. But yes, your thread topic is much more broad.

I think I have a concern that discussions like this tend to bring out the black and white thinking (I do it too). When logically, it's very unlikely that "All" green movements are moving us backwards in terms of the conservation of earth.

But my apologies for the narrow scope of my comment.

To think that "recycling" is nothing more than a feel good scheme to keep us addicted to plastics and feel good about that addiction.

I firmly believe we all want to do good to the environment, we often disagree what that means or the costs we're willing to pay for it, but I can't think of a bigger scam than recycling.

What else is a good example of "greenwashing"?

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?

Sadly this is not new news, just new to NPR and the vast majority of the population...

Sadly this is not new news, just new to NPR and the vast majority of the population...
It's not new to NPR either, just the latest rendition.

As several have pointed out. We've been fed Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.

It's hard to reduce, because once you reduce, how do you do anything else?
Reuse, is the easiest, and I feel, most common, but you want to do something productive when it's at the end of it's life...
Recycle? Apparently just throw it away and feel bad.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back