PEAX Equipment

"Greenwashing at it's best"

Irrelevant

To think that "recycling" is nothing more than a feel good scheme to keep us addicted to plastics and feel good about that addiction.

I firmly believe we all want to do good to the environment, we often disagree what that means or the costs we're willing to pay for it, but I can't think of a bigger scam than recycling.

What else is a good example of "greenwashing"?

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?

I think EV cars and solar panels are two good examples.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I don’t understand why people drink so much bottled water, rather than using tap water. That could eliminate so much plastic. I know some places don’t have very good ground water, but we do. It frustrates the hell out of me that my wife and daughter won’t drink our well water. It’s better than what they are getting in bottles. I also hate the idea of paying so much money for something that is essentially free from the tap.

most anything.

it's pretty much all futile when it comes to the inherent nature of having this many people. most of them are all some capitalistic ruse, honestly.

but stuff has certainly helped when you look back. main thing off the top of my head would be emissions standards reducing smog and ozone, standards for discharge keeping waterways cleaner. i'd say a lot of the basic environmental laws, especially around emissions and discharge, have done a lot of good.

Most recycled waste here in AK is shipped south on a barge, and put in a landfill after sorting out what little is valuable and worth recycling. About 75% is just landfilled... or so I was told by a person who would know.

We recycle because its cheaper than the trash service for a second can. I avoid creating waste as much as possible though.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I don’t understand why people drink so much bottled water, rather than using tap water. That could eliminate so much plastic. I know some places don’t have very good ground water, but we do. It frustrates the hell out of me that my wife and daughter won’t drink our well water. It’s better than what they are getting in bottles. I also hate the idea of paying so much money for something that is essentially free from the tap.
Don't even get me started, I've never had anything but well water my whole life albeit in this part of the midwest are water has a little sulphur smell to it but whatever. My wife born and raised in town will not touch it. We have to have culligan delivered to the house. Like where the #*^@#* do you think that comes from or ice cubes or whatever. Like there's some Indian medicine man bottling her water at the waterfall. She uses a bottle of water for brushing her teeth.

To think that "recycling" is nothing more than a feel good scheme to keep us addicted to plastics and feel good about that addiction.

I firmly believe we all want to do good to the environment, we often disagree what that means or the costs we're willing to pay for it, but I can't think of a bigger scam than recycling.

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?
Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

They are in that order for a reason…

I have a grocery bag from 10 years ago that I use every week, I gotta think that’s one of the least greenwashed things.

"The industry promoted recycling heavily anyway, counting on a simple strategy: “If the public thinks the recycling is working, then they’re not going to be as concerned about the environment,”

Last edited:
Woodsy the Owl from the Forest service used to say, "give a hoot, don't pollute." This was then changed to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (4-R's). This again has been cut down by the EPA to the below. There are a lot of initiatives that have done the environment good. Too many to list here. I have an RV that is solar/Lithium Battery (10 year life span). No burning fuel and oil or propane to run the electrical if needed at camp. I think solar has it's place, as does wind power. But as a major energy supplier, in my opinion, nuclear wins the day.
Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

I have a grocery bag from 10 years ago that I use every week, I gotta think that’s one of the least greenwashed things.

Doesn't happen often, but occasionally someone has tried to provide me guidance on the proper bins in public places. When I've told them that we don't actually recycle plastics and my problem wasn't my bin choice it's that I had to buy said plastic in the first place I can't tell if their reaction is to a new mind-blowing thought or I'm just that pretty and they don't know what to say.

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?
I think it's important to emphasize that the rhetoric (at least about "recycling" as described in the article) here should be focused on plastics. Recycling other products like paper/cardboard, tires, metal, trees, oil, and more are still beneficial in a multitude of ways. Anything from actual up-cycling to increasing the lifespan of a landfill.

Last edited:
Don't even get me started, I've never had anything but well water my whole life albeit in this part of the midwest are water has a little sulphur smell to it but whatever. My wife born and raised in town will not touch it. We have to have culligan delivered to the house. Like where the #*^@#* do you think that comes from or ice cubes or whatever. Like there's some Indian medicine man bottling her water at the waterfall. She uses a bottle of water for brushing her teeth.
I remember every time we’d go to the baby doctor they’d ask well water or city? I eventually just had to turn my back until my wife was done with those questions. Our well is 680 feet deep, in the st Jordan aquifer, the city of Dubuque gets their water from the Mississippi River. Next question please.

My wife does the same thing.

Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

How in the heck do you do that? Our grocery stores bags have holes in them before you even bag your groceries.

Makes as much sense as “climate summits” where people fly private jets halfway around the world to wag their fingers at us commoners.

I’m pretty convinced about 90% of stuff in modern society is a “feel good” scam.

Wind power and solar power are that as well. An eyesore on the landscape, roads, pads, infrastructure has to be built. All while people demonize the oil industry for the same things.

It’s the “hooray for me and F*~} you!” devolution of our society.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back