"Greenwashing at it's best"

I also laugh my ass off when people ask if you don't want a straw for your drink.

Yet they either serve it in a plastic cup and the contents I'm pretty certain came from some kind of plastic bag or material.....

I.e. Starbucks.
Just wait until someone takes a tear-jerking photo of a manatee with a plastic cup stuck up its nose.

Veggie burgers. Maybe some health benefits, but not wholly better for the environment than free range beef
Veggie burger, sounds like free range beef. :)

@Nameless Range , I hear ya on clear gold under our feet. Thankfully m'uh younger years were spent drinkin' right from the hose! A little protein bite every now 'n then.
Truth be told, we had a Culligan whoop-d-do on our Whitefish property well water. Arsenic to some minor degree.

I'd say, h.s. days of cheerleaders washing cars led me to favor the hose.

Edit added: I have a 100% recycled plastic manufactured floor mat from PADI! I take great pride stepping on that vs God's green earth while putting on my neoprene wet or tri-laminate dry suit. 🤣

I remember every time we’d go to the baby doctor they’d ask well water or city? I eventually just had to turn my back until my wife was done with those questions. Our well is 680 feet deep, in the st Jordan aquifer, the city of Dubuque gets their water from the Mississippi River. Next question please.
I think this is a flouride related question, not a safety related question.

Random thoughts:

Frequently we go food shopping to a locally owned market in our Subaru with reusable grocery bags while listening to NPR after dropping off the recycling. Some fool in the family didn't drink all the beer in a dozen cans, which then gets splattered all over me when distributed at the bins.
After we support our locally owned food market we go to Costco, where we buy a flat of water to support the big corporation concept.
I did spend thousands on a domestic well which I personally will drink out of, except when the water reeks of Sulfur, every few weeks.
Sometimes I get twitchy when I look at my dumbass neighbors who have two horses in a pen full time,even though they own 5 acres. Ahem ....that is 1000 gallons of f-ing piss a year folks in a confined space. I could care less if their water smells like piss but essentially we are on a community aquifer.
I have had mean thoughts of actually buying an AR just to strafe the ground around people who light burn barrels , burn plastic, which stinks up my air space and pollutes my garage.
I gotta get to work...building modest shelter for humans currently.
Like I said,random...coffee induced.

I never understood why we don’t burn plastic to generate electricity, old tires too. They burn hot. I’m not sure burying them in a landfill is “greener”
We do. They're called Waste-to-energy plants or "Garbage Burners". They have them in Europe as well.

I remember every time we’d go to the baby doctor they’d ask well water or city? I eventually just had to turn my back until my wife was done with those questions. Our well is 680 feet deep, in the st Jordan aquifer, the city of Dubuque gets their water from the Mississippi River. Next question please.

I remember them making a big deal about that when my kids would go to the pediatrician. 80’ well supposed to test it yearly, but I only do it every 3. They’re worried about nitrates here, but it’s never tested close to limits.

You’d think they’d have bigger things to worry about but I guess not.

I think this is a flouride related question, not a safety related question.
Not necessarily. There's some stuff that can be in well water that can be dangerous for infants.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that if your family drinks well water, the well should be tested for nitrates. If the well water contains nitrates (above a level of 10 mg/L), it should not be used for infant formula or food preparation".

Last edited:
Interesting that some have taken this thread as a place to complain about regulation.
It is not.
View attachment 246489

Also note, just because you don't believe it, or it cuts your feels a little too deep, doesn't mean it's not true.

Ok, back on track...someone mentioned Patagucci in a post above, they do make a couple things out of recycled things, so clearly they're above reproach :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. There's some stuff that can be in well water that can be dangerous for infants.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that if your family drinks well water, the well should be tested for nitrates. If the well water contains nitrates (above a level of 10 mg/L), it should not be used for infant formula or food preparation".

Looks like safety is the main concern nationwide. What hazard depends on age of child and area of the country and vfc type of well. I couldn't find actual rates of issues, but I stand corrected. Flouride was only a small part of the picture.

I'm all for recycling in the (clearly limited) cases where it makes sense. In the long run, as Method Man has succinctly indicated, "cash rules everything around me, dollar dollar bill ya'll."

It's hard to reduce, because once you reduce, how do you do anything else?
Reuse, is the easiest, and I feel, most common, but you want to do something productive when it's at the end of it's life...
Recycle? Apparently just throw it away and feel bad.

The way I see it, the average guy has a couple of options to feel better:
1)Focus on how bad everyone else is. Many, many people and entire nations truly don't give a rip about intact ecosystems, and never will.
2)Try not to think about it too hard, because it'll never stop. You could drive yourself insane with environmental math.
3)Some combo of #2 and doing some things that really do make sense, like buying used gear, kids clothes, etc. and maybe forgoing some luxuries just for the sake of the exercise.

"Greenwashing" is obviously frustrating because of the hypocrisy. I have yet to be recycle-shamed by someone who is living anywhere remotely close to "naturally", and usually live less simply than I do -- not that I set some wholesome high bar. I just smile and nod.

Less humans would help some, sure, but there are about 1.5 billion people who don't feel that way for religious reasons, and plenty more who don't just because of their own personal or cultural ethos. When we tried to tell some folks of a certain ideology that they had to pay for their grazing fees they forcibly occupied a wildlife refuge. Try telling them they can't have more kids haha.

Not all landfill material "goes to waste"
My hometown PUD is capturing methane for power production

I would also counter that DEF is not green washing.

The way I see it, the average guy has a couple of options to feel better:
1)Focus on how bad everyone else is. Many, many people and entire nations truly don't give a rip about intact ecosystems, and never will.
2)Try not to think about it too hard, because it'll never stop. You could drive yourself insane with environmental math.
3)Some combo of #2 and doing some things that really do make sense, like buying used gear, kids clothes, etc. and maybe forgoing some luxuries just for the sake of the exercise.

"Greenwashing" is obviously frustrating because of the hypocrisy. I have yet to be recycle-shamed by someone who is living anywhere remotely close to "naturally", and usually live less simply than I do -- not that I set some wholesome high bar. I just smile and nod.

Less humans would help some, sure, but there are about 1.5 billion people who don't feel that way for religious reasons, and plenty more who don't just because of their own personal or cultural ethos. When we tried to tell some folks of a certain ideology that they had to pay for their grazing fees they forcibly occupied a wildlife refuge. Try telling them they can't have more kids haha.
What pisses me off is that I can't pay more to have materials recycled. I can't choose that it's something I want to "invest" in. Hell, in our County I can't recycle glass... that's figgin' ludicrous.

And for all the people around the world not giving a crap about the environment, they're still causing less "harm" (at least arguably) than we are. We're just really good at pushing our impacts onto other nations, into the ground, and into the air.

Less humans is still the ultimate answer. Whether through choice or disease.

Ours is some of the best I’ve ever tasted. It’s filtered twice. Once as it comes into the house and once at the refrigerator. Funny thing is they use the ice. I don’t even try to reason with them anymore.
If women were logical, they’d achieve that equally they seek.

In all seriousness, the ground water in places like western Montana is as good as it gets for water.

Another random thought about our benevolent shepherds from planet X.

"Looks like our livestock on planet earth is fixing to blow themselves up with nuclear weapons. Better send the harvest team in now, so we can at least get a reasonable yield."

Last edited:
Less humans is still the ultimate answer. Whether through choice or disease.
;)

Back