Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

"Greenwashing at it's best"

Id like to personally send a shout out to @wllm for introducing me to a green and eco-friendly way of European skull taxidermy.

All lectric and no fuel required. Except the coal that was burned to produce my wall outlets electricity.

Nevermind the Walter White concoction I'll be disposing of.

View attachment 246539
Yeah but how many silver bullets got emptied during the skull boil? A truck had to drive those there. And that aluminum foil isn't leftover from baked potatoes, I'd say Jonas is a green hunting decoy.

I can do that for you...

I am using 250 watt/hours per mile, on average. That means I use 250 kWh for your 1000 miles. According to Xcel energy that would add up to 256.75 pounds of CO2 on their current supply sources.

Taking a 2019 Honda Civic (same year, efficient car) that gets 42 mpg on the highway it would take 23.81 gallons of fuel to go 1000 miles. Thanks to the EPA I don't have to do much more calculation on it. This equals 466 pounds of carbon in the air.

While the Honda's emissions would remain steady, Xcel energy has committed to decrease their carbon emissions through alternative sources which will only make this comparison better for the EV in the near future. Regarding the battery - look at existing battery recycling programs for lead acid, as supply increases and demand for lithium continues to increase there will be a need.
This more or less is what I arrived at with a buddy when we did the math, IC engines are pretty inefficient.

I would like to know what energy company is committing to maintaining their oil and gas energy production in the future?
Can you clarify?

You talking Xcel using OG to make electricity or Conoco producing oil?

Roof top solar is more borderline that either great or greenwashing.

If a person wants to pay more to get a portion of their power needs based on their own roof top solar, then great, have at it. But to argue that converting functioning wildlife habitat into an industrial size solar farm is better, that definitely leans more towards green washing in my eyes.

LED light bulbs? They never last "30 years" and you can't recycle them.

Yeah but how many silver bullets got emptied during the skull boil? A truck had to drive those there. And that aluminum foil isn't leftover from baked potatoes, I'd say Jonas is a green hunting decoy.
The question really is what type of smorgasbord of beverages got emptied. If it roughly takes 48 to 60 hrs to complete a skull then on a week day basis. That equates to 10-12 beverages outside of bottled 😳water.

IF it was on the weekend.... there's no telling how much aluminum would hit the can crusher. Depends on if........

1. @wllm actually gave good sound advice (which we all know he's about as legit as they come)

2. IF it's bad advice how upset will I be with @wllm, cause I'm a millennials and I blame everyone else for my issues.

3. Am I going to Costco?

4. What's the outside temp like.

That'll determine the body count.

You just leave the aluminum beverage containers out of this. Lately it's actually been bottles.

ANNNNNNDDDD.... your correct, that's fresh foil.

Last edited:
This more or less is what I arrived at with a buddy when we did the math, IC engines are pretty inefficient.

Can you clarify?

You talking Xcel using OG to make electricity or Conoco producing oil
I was referencing Xcel or any other energy utility that is increasing energy production through oil and gas. Conoco and other have a strong interest to keep up the production, especially if the prices increase. 🤑

@CowboyLeroy - seems to me that we have a lot of surface area on buildings that can be used instead of taking up ground space. Need to workout the issues with utilities and who is "generating" the energy.

Utilities go out to bid to developers when they need new capacity. Developers submit proposals saying they can provide X amount of kWh for x$ from x location. Utilities are going to take the lower cost and a green field utility scale solar project is much much cheaper than trying to build a little here and a little there on existing infrastructure. I assume that a big factor is also the fact that it is much easier to manage and schedule energy to the load from one large project than 500 little ones.

Edit to add - A big solar project might generate the energy use of over 100k homes and thus is probably not going to be located by a big city. If there's only 30k people in a community of course they aren't all of the energy generated. But it goes on the grid that is almost always connected to that local community so if there is a load going to the local community from where the solar site connects to the grid, it's still going there.

Last edited:

To think that "recycling" is nothing more than a feel good scheme to keep us addicted to plastics and feel good about that addiction.

I firmly believe we all want to do good to the environment, we often disagree what
What else is a good

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?
What else is a good example of "greenwashing"?

EV cars?
Reusable grocery bags?
EV cars, debatable depending on circumstances, but they certainly aren't the salvation some think.

Reusable grocery bags, yes that's a definite scam, especially when they ban the "single use" bags.

Recycling for plastic and 90% of the other trash is "garbage".

I think EV cars and solar panels are two good examples.

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I don’t understand why people drink so much bottled water, rather than using tap water. That could eliminate so much plastic. I know some places don’t have very good ground water, but we do. It frustrates the hell out of me that my wife and daughter won’t drink our well water. It’s better than what they are getting in bottles. I also hate the idea of paying so much money for something that is essentially free from the tap.
I have always been a well water advocate. My wife got a Britta filter, which I at first thought was heresy, but honestly that just improved the water's taste. Maybe get one and tell them they have to use it.

I have always been a well water advocate. My wife got a Britta filter, which I at first thought was heresy, but honestly that just improved the water's taste. Maybe get one and tell them they have to use it.
Yep. Brita filter only improved the taste of good well water for us too growing up. Never found the equal to that water.

In all honesty I've never seen a good ICE vs EV comparison that took EVERYTHING into account. If it exists I'd like to see it.
I scoured the web for this a couple years ago or so. I didn't feel much more confident after my search. I walked away feeling like the difficulty was that EVs we're too new and the info out their on their production details wasn't very good.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back