Caribou Gear Tarp

Great scope for a great cause

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
In my Elk Odyssey thread you heard me write about some folks we met in Northern New Mexico who treated us like family. They offered us their cabin in the woods, their mother cooked meals that they brought up the mountain, and they refused to take any sort of consideration for their hospitality. It was truly one of the more remarkable gestures of "welcome to our home" that I have ever experienced in my hunting travels.

If you ever travel to rural northern New Mexico, you will gain a new appreciation for "scratching out a living." It is a difficult place to survive, financially. Yet, in spite of the economic situation, the people I met were as genuine and gracious as any.

Over the course of the week we visited with the two brothers each evening. They have inherited the family cabin and they live for elk camp, whether they have tags or others have the tags. I came to find out that they coach the local junior high basketball team, with basketball being a seasonal highlight for many in the local area.

The discussion led to how the team is funded, etc. Not wanting to pry, but seeing the difficult conditions many of the locals face, I asked how some of these kids could afford shoes, physicals, road meals, maybe even how could the kids get back and forth to practice.

The two brothers explained how much of a hurdle those financial challenges were to these young kids. They went on to explain that of the 16 kids signed up for this season, only 6 could afford new shoes when practice starts mid-November. On many of the road trips last year, some kids would not join in the team meals or when they stopped for breaks on long road trips; reason being they did not have any money for meals or snacks. The two brothers fund a lot of that out of their own pockets.

As someone whose life was greatly improved by the lessons of competitive athletics, I can easily roll back the hands of time and see the same situation of some kids I grew up with. At that 12-14 year-old phase, a small gesture, a small opportunity to prove one's worth can make a huge difference in the path of a teenage boy who knows the rest of the world has things a lot easier than they do. There are so many life-lessons that come from sports that I have a hard time seeing some not get to participate because they can't afford road meals or shoes. And though I can't help every kid who cannot afford athletics, some cool twist of fate has connected me to these kids I don't even know.

And though I don't know these kids, I did get to meet their coaches, two high quality guys who are doing all they can to help these kids find ways to build some self esteem; to help them have some small victories in an otherwise difficult life. And since these coaches would not take any form of payment for the hosting they provided us, I figured I would find another way to do something that helps them in their effort to produce better young men in their community.

Howa gives me a few rifles to donate to causes each year. That small quota gets quickly allocated. But, they have made an exception to this cause and the coaches will be holding a fund raiser raffle for a Howa 7mm Kryptek. As much as that will help, I am going to add a bit more to the cause and I hope that the Hunt Talk crowd will like the idea.

I told you Leupold sent me a bunch of new scopes to sell or donate as I see fit. I still have one from last year that is new in the box; a VX-6 3-18x50mm CDS. Here is the link (product #115005) - https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-3-18x50mm-30mm-side-focus-cds/

VX6_3_18x50_Angled-530x458.png

20151028_081834.jpg

So here is what I want to do to raise some more money for this group of kids; a drawing for this scope. It is a closed raffle, only announced to people on Hunt Talk. And it is for a limited period of time. Between now and when I get back from Colorado on November 9th, every $50 received will get you a raffle ticket for this new VX-6, a $1,500 scope. If that means only one person sends $50, then we raise $50 and the odds are pretty good for the one guy who sent the money. If 5 guys send $50, that is great news for these kids. If 10 guys do it, better yet.

If any of you are interested, you have two options:

1. Notify me via PM and I can send you a PayPal invoice to pay for your ticket. We will absorb the PayPal fee on our end. It might take a while for me to do this, given I will be on the road much of this time.

2. You can send a check to 6341 Johnson Road Bozeman, MT 59718 with a note that this is for the Mesa Vista fund raiser.​

A picture of the 2014-15 Mesa Vista Junior High basketball team that when 16-4 last year.

MVHSteam.jpg

Thanks for any support you can lend to this cause. I know this small gesture by the Hunt Talk crowd will make a big difference to some kid(s) who may have otherwise not been able to participate.

Sounds like a good idea to me, Randy. You can expect a check in the mail next week.

Yet, in spite of the economic situation, the people I met were as genuine and gracious as any...
The two brothers explained how much of a hurdle those financial challenges were to these young kids. They went on to explain that of the 16 kids signed up for this season, only 6 could afford new shoes when practice starts mid-November. On many of the road trips last year, some kids would not join in the team meals or when they stopped for breaks on long road trips; reason being they did not have any money for meals or snacks. The two brothers fund a lot of that out of their own pockets.

As someone whose life was greatly improved by the lessons of competitive athletics, I can easily roll back the hands of time and see the same situation of some kids I grew up with. At that 12-14 year-old phase, a small gesture, a small opportunity to prove one's worth can make a huge difference in the path of a teenage boy who knows the rest of the world has things a lot easier than they do. There are so many life-lessons that come from sports that I have a hard time seeing some not get to participate because they can't afford road meals or shoes. And though I can't help every kid who cannot afford athletics, some cool twist of fate has connected me to these kids I don't even know.

And though I don't know these kids, I did get to meet their coaches, two high quality guys who are doing all they can to help these kids find ways to build some self esteem; to help them have some small victories in an otherwise difficult life. And since these coaches would not take any form of payment for the hosting they provided us, I figured I would find another way to do something that helps them in their effort to produce better young men in their community.

Thanks for any support you can lend to this cause. I know this small gesture by the Hunt Talk crowd will make a big difference to some kid(s) who may have otherwise not been able to participate.

OK, we'll call it 'some cool twist of fate'.........;)

You're a good, selfless (and humble) man and I am honored to be a part of your Hunt Talk crowd's 'small gesture'.
Thank you.

OK, we'll call it 'some cool twist of fate'.........;)

You're a good, selfless (and humble) man and I am honored to be a part of your Hunt Talk crowd's 'small gesture'.
Thank you.

Well stated!

Randy, thanks for the opportunity to support these young men and their coaches.

THIS is why I love this site. You are a great dude, Randy. Check is in the mail the mail. Good luck to the basketball team!!!!!

I"m in, but headed out the door for meat. Will PM when I get back on Saturday.

Nicely done, Fin & Leupold. :)

Randy, thanks for getting involved.

This is a good reminder for everyone who passes through the back country towns of the West to help spread some prosperity and opportunity.

Randy, thanks for getting involved.

This is a good reminder for everyone who passes through the back country towns of the West to help spread some prosperity and opportunity.

This is a really good point. I used to be on an absolute shoestring budget all the time, and rarely ever spent money on these trips. It was all about saving every dime I could.

As of late though, I've really been thinking differently about this. We've been blessed that we are not rich, but certainly comfortable. Even if it's just buying a beer and burger, I try to do a lot more to support the small town communities. I'd rather pay 20 cents a gallon more for diesel and give the guy in Sheridan MT the money, than the Flying J on the interstate.

You guys are great. A bit of what motivates me in this instance. A link to this book gives a bit of preview.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...BOHOU&ref_=as_sl_pc_ss_til&tag=onyouownadv-20

41Xess75-iL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The author of that book, Mark Rolo, grew up in the same little town I did, Big Falls, Minnesota. Mark's dad was a drunk and his mom tried to raise seven kids on what Dad did not spend at the bar, which left nothing. They had moved to Big Falls from a Reservation in Wisconsin when I was in second grade. Mark was two years older than me, his brother Peter a year older, his brother Pat three years younger, and his youngest brother Ray being four years my junior. He had two older brothers, Tim and Steve, who I really did not know very well due to age differences. His sister Ruth was four years older than me.

We knew they had it rough. It was obvious by the clothes, the conditions, the lack of resources for any basic medical needs. If not for school lunches, I'm not sure what the kids had to eat. They were proud and never asked for anything. Things got rougher when their Mom died when I was ten. Mark's sister Ruth, only about fourteen at the time her mom died, did her best to take care of her six brothers, the youngest a wonderful kid who was stricken with polio as their family did not have money for the most basic of vaccinations.

They were all amazing artists or athletes. Yet, they had no money for art class supplies and no money for sports. And they surely did not have transportation. Lacking money for anything else, they were all voracious readers, with Peter using any spare scrap of paper to practice his pencil sketches; Green Bay Packer players being his favorite art subjects.

Peter is since gone, as I believe are the older brothers. Somehow, in some amazing way, Mark, Pat, and Ray, made a go of it. I don't know where Ruth is, but whoever ended up with her got a saint. Mark, Pat, and Ray all went on to get advanced degrees. Mark and Ray advocate for the cause of First Nations people. No matter how far I ever can travel in life, it will pale in comparison to what these survivors have accomplished. The odds against them, financially, societally (as Native kids in a predominately white town), and culturally, seem insurmountable. Yet, in some amazing way, three of them grabbed whatever opportunity they could make for themselves and did not let go.

If ever Hollywood wanted to do an inspiring story about someone, I would suggest they go find Mark and make his life into a movie. It would provide amazing contrast for those who think a limited data plan on their iPhone is "living on the margins." I wish I could say that they were the only Reservation family in that situation, but it is not the case.

As I look back, I wish I had the resources to have helped in some way. I lived in a trailer house at the time, the oldest of three being raised by a recently divorced Mom living on what a waitress makes in a small country diner. As slim as things were at our house, we were in a state of opulence compared to the Rolo family. So many people were always bringing them food and clothes. The entire town of 500 people kind of adopted them. Yet, four years after their mother died, the struggle could go on no longer. The older kids were off on their own, Mark moved in with a local family, as did Ray. Ruth graduated high school and Peter and Pat moved to the Twin Cities with other distant family.

We were not far from the Nett Lake and Red Lake Ojibway Reservations. Some of the best athletes I ever competed against were from those places. Yet, some did not have the money to buy shoes. Some did not have the money to pay for ice time at a rink. Some did and used athletics, art, or other talent as a way to break the cycle. Those who did not have the small sum needed for those activities never knew of a brighter path. And though I am only 50 years old, hardly any of those who lacked opportunity are still with us.

My Dad always had a soft spot for the conditions these folks endured. He would hire any of them in his broke down logging operation, even if he often failed to meet payroll, due to his drinking habitat; a habit he excelled at and eventually died from. Yet, in spite of Dad's demons he made it very clear to me how grateful I should be to not have the uphill battle these folks faced. I was grateful. I still am.

Anyhow, the generosity of the Hunt Talk crowd is always amazing. I can't thank you guys enough. This will make a very big difference in the eyes of some great young kids.

Bump to top - the thread needs more views.

Fin's initial post hit me yesterday because I also grew up in a community much like this. When I was in high school, an author came into my hometown to write a book. His initial thoughts were to write based on the Boys basketball team, a thought that had grown out of an article in Sports Illustrated in the early 90's - Shadow of a Nation. The author eventually followed the Girls team. The book had it's supporters and detractors based on the portrayal of the characters (no names were changed). I felt it was an accurate accounting of the adversities my friends had gone through.

Here is a link to that book: Counting Coup

It is great to see the brother's giving back so freely of their time and money. I hope that hunttalk can keep them in shoes and road-meals for a long time.

Bump to top - the thread needs more views.

Fin's initial post hit me yesterday because I also grew up in a community much like this. When I was in high school, an author came into my hometown to write a book. His initial thoughts were to write based on the Boys basketball team, a thought that had grown out of an article in Sports Illustrated in the early 90's - Shadow of a Nation. The author eventually followed the Girls team. The book had it's supporters and detractors based on the portrayal of the characters (no names were changed). I felt it was an accurate accounting of the adversities my friends had gone through.

Here is a link to that book: Counting Coup

It is great to see the brother's giving back so freely of their time and money. I hope that hunttalk can keep them in shoes and road-meals for a long time.

Loved this book. Growing up and living in Montana this book hit hard on how rough life can be for some people that I played against in school sports from Hardin and things I took for granted others might cherish.

I suggest, whoever wins, donate the scope back to be raffled again. Anyone who has ever coached and looked objectively knows that kids gain confidence by having nice uniforms which includes shoes. Has anyone ever felt more invincible than when you were warming up to music before a basketball game? Great memories!

We are in the middle of switching banks, but as soon as the dust settles, a check will be in the mail.

I am familiar with some of northern New Mexico. It is a different environment made up of a mix of white, Indian, Spanish and Mexican people. We hunted on a friend's ranch near Cuba one year. My buddy's mom ran a trading post and dealt with the Indians for many years. They lived in some remote country. There was an Indian school close to there. Some of those kids rode the bus for THREE HOURS a day, just so that they could go to school.

While we were there, we were introduced to an old widow/rancher woman who lived In a remote box canyon by herself with her dogs. She was a trip. She took us around the whole area before season and told us all kinds of stories about the people and country. It was amazing. She showed us a box canyon where there was a neat old cabin, still in pretty good shape. It was Euell Gibbon's-the grapenuts guy for many years-family homestead.

We did not get any elk, but had a glorious time there.

There is a small town off the beaten path north of I-25 by the name of Anton Chico. You do not find it by accident, as it is on a dead-end road. The town was like stepping back in time a hundred years when we walked into the old general store. People do their own thing there and really don't like outsiders a whole lot-especially when you are wearing a Border Patrol uniform!:eek:.

Northern NM is a unique place with good and quite a few bad people. They do have plenty of folks, however, that are truly in need. Good gesture Randy. I hope this raffle turns out well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back