Caribou Gear Tarp

Great MT Whitetail - My Lucky Son

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we have returned from Eastern Montana. Here are pictures of my son's buck that he shot on Wednesday afternoon. We hunted him hard and finally caught up to him (spotted him at 9:00 AM and the shot was made at 4:00 pm). Matthew made a great 220 yard shot.

How lucky can a 16 year-old get? Seems like every year he shoots a new critter that makes his old man seem like a rookie.

We hunted for the next two days, but after Matthew shot this one, I couldn't find one that seemed adequate. I passed on a lot of nice bucks, but nothing close to this one.

We are not guys who know how to score, so I couldn't tell you what this buck scores. For what it is worth, it does make the Randy and Matthew record book.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was splendid. Now trying to recharge my "kitchen pass" for missing the traditional Turkey Day festivities.

Big Fin

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0647-1.JPG
    IMG_0647-1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 372
Beautiful typical WT buck. I'm guessing in the high 140 to low/mid 150's gross...not many deductions I can see from the pics. Congrats to the hunter. "Spotted at 9 a.m. & closed the deal at 4 p.m." with a good shot doesn't sound like luck to me.

Ithaca:

Thanks for the information.

Our closest estimate, based on the sheets and instructions we downloaded was 155" before deductions. The symetry is very good. According to the sheets we used, there is 1 5/8" of deductions, which seems really good.

Obviously, this is not official, but as close as we can get. It is hard to tell where to measure some of these points from where they leave the main beam, especially the eyeguards, so I suspect this is a conservative number.

We will probably take it to some of our friends who know how to do this stuff. Not that the score matters, but it the most common question that people have.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Matthew is really excited.

Happy Hunting!

The sun has set on our big game season for this year. Time for ducks and geese!

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 312
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back