Great elk story that was sent to me

Elkhunter

One of the best stories I have read in a long time. The father is a mand that I do a lot of work for. Enjoy the read.

Howdy all,

For those of you who have archery hunted, you’re familiar with the fact that everything has to be perfect to arrow a bull elk. Well, that’s how it was for my dad and I last Thursday night.

We spotted a small herd of elk about a mile away and planned a stalk to get to them. About an hour later everything was perfect: the wind was in our face at a steady 10 miles an hour, several elk were bugling within ear shot and after one manmade cow mew a bull elk appeared and was heading straight for us.

This bull came to within 30 yards of me (about 40 yards from my dad) and stopped and stared me down for what seemed like years. After deciding I was nothing more than a tree, he turned his head and continued walking. I drew, cow called, he stopped and a buried my MAX 4 Beman arrow tipped with 100 grain Spitfire broadheads into his side. The instant the bull reacted to my arrow, my dad’s arrow went flinging past him. He ran across the open hillside into the timber.

Once he was out of sight, another bull appeared from where the first one cam from and was heading our direction. “Dad”, I said “there’s another bull coming”. Within one minute this bull was starting me down in almost the exact same position that the first one was in. As he was glaring at me, I watched my dad’s arrow penetrate his side directly behind the shoulder. The bull ran 30 yards, stopped, side stepped and fell over dead.

This was my dad’s first elk kill with his bow and my second. The only thing that would’ve made it completely perfect would’ve been if my brother was there to shoot the next bull that came in to us after my dad shot his.

Here are the pictures that came with it. The first one is the father and the second one is the son, author of the story. I did blank out their faces, but both are ear to ear grins.

BLB-2005-Elk.jpg

JBB-2005-Elk.jpg

Back