Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Great American Outdoors Act

A group lobbying behind the scenes to kill this bill.

I love how they phrase it as money for the new Restoration Fund would be pulled from the existing LWCF one. It's not- the money may come from the same source, but until the LWCF is fully funded, this is not taking away from the LWCF (and probably still won't be afterwards). It's putting MORE money towards public lands, not robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Additionally, it pulls from all federal energy development (oil, gas, renewable, etc.), not just offshore oil royalties.

Basically, the cattleman's and woolgrowers' associations are being intentionally misleading on this one to try to get it killed. They're either malicious or stupid, but I don't believe them to be fools.

50% from the Hoosier state. The one senator's response to me was blamed upon fiscal responsibility and reducing (balancing) the budget. Seems like he's not against the funding of programs that benefit the land his family trust owns...

So what's next? I sent letters to both my Senators and my Rep about this legislation and called the office of the Senator who ended up voting Nay. Just wondering how many more hurdles there are...

Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Alaska- if you live there, both your senators voted against it.

I would've thought the Western states would have been in favor of this.

So what's next? I sent letters to both my Senators and my Rep about this legislation and called the office of the Senator who ended up voting Nay. Just wondering how many more hurdles there are...

I think next step is the Senate to vote on the bill........I don't think there are any more procedural hurdles.

Not sure where the House is with this, much of the info I see is "contact your Senators." Is it assumed that this is going to pass the House?

Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Alaska- if you live there, both your senators voted against it.

Some Senators that are pro land transfer will not be for this bill. Actually funding public land take a tool out of their box for cause.

Having a hard time buying American wool even,given how I am familiar with production in US is done.
I think most of this is just ignorance. The livestock industry has about 500 things more important than this that they should be focused on. I feel like these industry groups think that they just need to get “wins” in any way just to show their membership that they did something. Don’t confuse the hard working livestock producers in our country with these groups. My family raises cattle and many of our friends and family do as well. I can’t think of any of them that would oppose this bill if given the facts. I know the sheep industry isn’t a great thing for our wild sheep herds. But keep in mind that this is a complicated issue. I spent some time speaking to a 3rd generation sheep rancher in Colorado last Fall. These are good folks just working hard to make a living. With that said these livestock groups really piss me off.

I emailed both of my Senators from Louisiana Friday asking what their opposition was to this bill but have not received a reply from either.

I emailed both of my Senators from Louisiana Friday asking what their opposition was to this bill but have not received a reply from either.

Former Louisiana resident here. It's frustrating. I think since LA has so little public land, they just vote the way they are told even if they would support conservation in LA.

Former Louisiana resident here. It's frustrating. I think since LA has so little public land, they just vote the way they are told even if they would support conservation in LA.

The amount of public land is small compared to the Western States no doubt but with 1,330,429 acres of federal land in the State in public then another 1.6 million acres in State WMA’s that brings us to about 8.5 percent public or so. That is not completely insignificant. And there is a very strong culture of using those lands as well. They become a complete Zoo during deer rifle.
I think Senators Kennedy and Cassidy would probably tell you that they were concerned about being fisically responsible or something along those lines. I think it has more to do with their ties to some industry or another or some other politician.

It’d be great if either would bother to respond to emails.

Gillibrand is always good for an email response, I get the automated form email right away. More specific emails expect it to take a few days. When she was my congress person she was much more assessable, and I am sure to tell her thats whenever I get the chance, which hasnt been often since she sold her house near us 10 years ago.
Schumers office is on the ball. responses are prompt, and questions are always addressed, a call from staffers happens enough that I am not surprises anymore and I am on first name basis with a couple.

Gillibrand is always good for an email response, I get the automated form email right away. More specific emails expect it to take a few days. When she was my congress person she was much more assessable, and I am sure to tell her thats whenever I get the chance, which hasnt been often since she sold her house near us 10 years ago.
Schumers office is on the ball. responses are prompt, and questions are always addressed, a call from staffers happens enough that I am not surprises anymore and I am on first name basis with a couple.

Awesome that Schumers office ison their game.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back