PEAX Equipment

Great American Outdoors Act

i called both of my senators offices last night--Tina Smith and Amy Kloubachar and was surprised to hear a person actually answer it; none the less, they said they would send the message!

Cassidy is pissed because he can't get his fellow Senators, who are the anti-public land voting block, to vote for his coastal erosion, which most think would be a very good idea. I don't blame him for being upset with his fellow caucus members who won't help him on that his bill. Yet, his protests against GAOA seem to be a misguided direction for his ire. Until the political planets align such that his issue can possibly sway the Senate, those anti-public landers will not help him out.

He needs to huddle with Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) and in short order he would have funding for coastal resiliency. He is smart enough to realize that the ability to get good legislation passed in Congress is usually a function of crisis and he's not going to have another crisis (election that puts the Senate majority at risk) opportunity for a long time.

He complains that money is being sent to other states. Yet, he fails to mention that his state of Louisiana gets $1.52 in Federal receipts for every $1.0 dollar is sent to DC. The 12th most dependent when measured by citizens depending on DC and 3rd most dependent when measured by dependence of local governments on DC. A bit of a hollow argument that weakens his very good point that coastal resiliency is a worthwhile conservation and economic investment.

It is too bad he cannot convince those in his own ranks to see the path he is promoting. It would be a good investment, but he's below the rank/seniority of the anti-public land powerbrokers in his own caucus. Not a good reason to kill other good conservation investment legislation.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.59.59 AM.png

Cassidy is pissed because he can't get his fellow Senators, who are the anti-public land voting block, to vote for his coastal erosion, which most think would be a very good idea. I don't blame him for being upset with his fellow caucus members who won't help him on that his bill. Yet, his protests against GAOA seem to be a misguided direction for his ire. Until the political planets align such that his issue can possibly sway the Senate, those anti-public landers will not help him out.

He needs to huddle with Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) and in short order he would have funding for coastal resiliency. He is smart enough to realize that the ability to get good legislation passed in Congress is usually a function of crisis and he's not going to have another crisis (election that puts the Senate majority at risk) opportunity for a long time.

He complains that money is being sent to other states. Yet, he fails to mention that his state of Louisiana gets $1.52 in Federal receipts for every $1.0 dollar is sent to DC. The 12th most dependent when measured by citizens depending on DC and 3rd most dependent when measured by dependence of local governments on DC. A bit of a hollow argument that weakens his very good point that coastal resiliency is a worthwhile conservation and economic investment.

It is too bad he cannot convince those in his own ranks to see the path he is promoting. It would be a good investment, but he's below the rank/seniority of the anti-public land powerbrokers in his own caucus. Not a good reason to kill other good conservation investment legislation.

View attachment 143962
I am surprised we aren’t higher on that list. Some of the States on there are surprising.

I felt like it was a cry for attention from Cassidy for coastal resilience and he made some fair points in my opinion.

I didn’t realize that the GAOA was so dependent on revenues from oil and gas.

In any case I am tickled it passed and that the LWCF is going to finally be fully funded. If Louisiana generates a decent portion of the revenue that is funding this bill, well that just gives me another reason to be proud to be a Louisianan.

Note that almost half of the senate Republicans voted against this bill. Maybe we should keep repeating the narrative that PLT is only in the party platform for shits and giggles. Why is this Pertinent to PLT? Because talking point number one is that federal lands are mismanaged and underfunded and that the states can do a better job at both. Fast forward to the GAOA act and we have bill to finally provide long term funding and stability to these lands, and who is against it? The same dog and pony show Senators who are PLT advocates. Goes to show you that fixing the problems isnt the motivation for public land transfers.

Note that almost half of the senate Republicans voted against this bill. Maybe we should keep repeating the narrative that PLT is only in the party platform for shits and giggles. Why is this Pertinent to PLT? Because talking point number one is that federal lands are mismanaged and underfunded and that the states can do a better job at both. Fast forward to the GAOA act and we have bill to finally provide long term funding and stability to these lands, and who is against it? The same dog and pony show Senators who are PLT advocates. Goes to show you that fixing the problems isnt the motivation for public land transfers.
I agree with this for sure.

@Shangobango I didn't realize LA was 8% public. I know Kisatchie National Forest, whatever forest is the old Camp Claiborne, and a few others. I once hunted near Arcadia and we would drive through Jackson-Bienville WMA and see some big bucks haning (by LA standards) but my dad wanted no part of WMA's in rifle season and I understand. Now that I hunt archery, I'd love to go back outside of rifle season.

Coastal erosion is a huge issue that is not recognized nationally even if Lousiaina's lost coastline is used for political purposes to support another issue (I'll leave it at that). Louisiana is also bearing the brunt of the entire Mississippi River's worth of ag chemicals pushing into the Gulf and causing deadzones that are destroying the fishery.

Louisiana is a perfect example that a red state can be full of conservationists but the average redneck/cajun isn't thinking that way and neither are the politicians. I use every opportunity I can to educate my LA family and friends on public land and host some for public land dove hunting in Yuma.

Seeing AZ as #9 on the list above reminds me of when I wrote my AZ representative a couple years ago and actually got a reply but it was about how poor AZ was cursed to have so much public land that the state couldn't draw revenue from and divesting was the solution.

@Shangobango I didn't realize LA was 8% public. I know Kisatchie National Forest, whatever forest is the old Camp Claiborne, and a few others. I once hunted near Arcadia and we would drive through Jackson-Bienville WMA and see some big bucks haning (by LA standards) but my dad wanted no part of WMA's in rifle season and I understand. Now that I hunt archery, I'd love to go back outside of rifle season.

Coastal erosion is a huge issue that is not recognized nationally even if Lousiaina's lost coastline is used for political purposes to support another issue (I'll leave it at that). Louisiana is also bearing the brunt of the entire Mississippi River's worth of ag chemicals pushing into the Gulf and causing deadzones that are destroying the fishery.

Louisiana is a perfect example that a red state can be full of conservationists but the average redneck/cajun isn't thinking that way and neither are the politicians. I use every opportunity I can to educate my LA family and friends on public land and host some for public land dove hunting in Yuma.

Seeing AZ as #9 on the list above reminds me of when I wrote my AZ representative a couple years ago and actually got a reply but it was about how poor AZ was cursed to have so much public land that the state couldn't draw revenue from and divesting was the solution.

I hear the term conservationist thrown around like a curse word down here a lot. They get lumped in with environmentalists lol. A lot of that is due to such a large percentage of the population making their living in the oilfield or working pipelines. I do what I can to educate but it is an uphill battle.

Sadly, Jackson-Bienville is no more. The LDWF did not renew their lease of the land from Plum Creek. They were asking an arm and a leg. It is now split up into about a dozen hunting clubs. I went to school at La Tech in Ruston. I used to drive down to Jackson- Bienville when I wasn’t in class to chase turkeys or trap.

If you ever want to do some archery hunting while you are home hit me up. I have a camp over on Tensas National Wildlife Refuge. That’s about as good as it gets down here for mature bucks.

I hear the term conservationist thrown around like a curse word down here a lot. They get lumped in with environmentalists lol. A lot of that is due to such a large percentage of the population making their living in the oilfield or working pipelines. I do what I can to educate but it is an uphill battle.

Sadly, Jackson-Bienville is no more. The LDWF did not renew their lease of the land from Plum Creek. They were asking an arm and a leg. It is now split up into about a dozen hunting clubs. I went to school at La Tech in Ruston. I used to drive down to Jackson- Bienville when I wasn’t in class to chase turkeys or trap.

If you ever want to do some archery hunting while you are home hit me up. I have a camp over on Tensas National Wildlife Refuge. That’s about as good as it gets down here for mature bucks.

Thanks! Will do. I was reading the other day on hunting in Tensas Parish.

Family is still in Central Louisiana. I'm Active Duty military, a few years from retirement eligible. Likely landing spots are AZ, LA, or FL.

Completely agree that conservationist and environmentalist are often tossed around as the same thing in LA. The gill net battle was bad with recreational fisherman against commercial fishermen. The ban was good for both in the long run.

Thanks! Will do. I was reading the other day on hunting in Tensas Parish.

Family is still in Central Louisiana. I'm Active Duty military, a few years from retirement eligible. Likely landing spots are AZ, LA, or FL.
Thanks for your service!

Completely agree that conservationist and environmentalist are often tossed around as the same thing in LA. The gill net battle was bad with recreational fisherman against commercial fishermen. The ban was good for both in the long run.

My family made a large portion of it’s living commercial fishing and trapping until the mid 80’s. Never saw the need for gill nets. I was taught ti use hoop nets, slat traps, and wire nets for catfish and buffalo. Everything else got tosses back.

I remember my grandpa throwing a cussing fit when he pulled a dead otter out of a hoop net. He would catch them all day in a 330 or a #4 longspring and be glad to have them but that otter in that hoop net hurt his feelings.

Claiming marsh bottom, that is technically part of Gulf of Mexico, as private land. That was one of those signals it was time to move out of Louisiana. A guy can’t even hunt ducks out of a canoe there without knowing someone.

Trout Unlimited, Trust for Public Land, RMEF - Senator Daines valued support of permanent lwcf funding.

Oh, before the HT Democrats release their saboteurs... 🥴

Last edited:
Back