Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Great American Outdoors Act

Northwoods Labs

On social media I've seen that the Great American Outdoors Act needs to clear another procedural hurdle, needing 60 votes to pass this evening. Be sure to contact your Senators....took me 5 minutes. Hopefully this passes, if you research your county, I think many would be surprised on what it has paid for. I didn't realize that much of the St. Croix Riverway in my home county is public because of this

This will be a big vote. Some who voted to send it along last week now can use their trickery to effectively kill it today. With so many "Did not vote" rolls last week, things seem a bit peculiar. Fingers crossed this bill isn't going to be the victim of election year posturing and gamesmanship.

Embarrassingly, there’s obviously no hope with one of my Senators on this issue. I have, however, written to Senator Romney with my support for the bill and asking for his stance on it. I will post any response I get. He’s shown a willingness to go counter to the President and the party on several issues, so I’m holding out some hope that he will do it in this instance as well.

Embarrassingly, there’s obviously no hope with one of my Senators on this issue. I have, however, written to Senator Romney with my support for the bill and asking for his stance on it. I will post any response I get. He’s shown a willingness to go counter to the President and the party on several issues, so I’m holding out some hope that he will do it in this instance as well.
+1
AA.jpg

I actually watched the vote last night. Both my Senators are on board. The trickery vote is later in week now.....

So I finally got around to reading it instead of just pencil whipping my support. Text summary below, from https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3422

Thoughts- I like the priority deferred maintenance. I like where the money is coming from. I like permanently funding the LWCF. I don't like the alternate allocations comment at the end, regarding the LWCF- almost makes it seem like Congress could start diverting funds if they ever got the mind to (unless that was just about alternate money going in, and not money going out).

"This bill establishes the National Parks and Public Land Legacy Restoration Fund to support deferred maintenance projects on federal lands.

For FY2021-FY2025, there shall be deposited into the fund an amount equal to 50% of all federal revenues from the development of oil, gas, coal, or alternative or renewable energy on federal lands and waters. Deposited amounts must not exceed $1.9 billion for any fiscal year.

The fund must be used for priority deferred maintenance projects in specified systems that are administered by

the National Park Service,
the Forest Service,
the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
the Bureau of Land Management, and
the Bureau of Indian Education.
The Government Accountability Office must report on the effect of the fund in reducing the backlog of priority deferred maintenance projects for the specified agencies.

Additionally, the bill makes funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) permanent. The President shall annually report to Congress specified details regarding the allocation of funds to the LWCF. Congress may provide for alternate allocations using specified procedures."

Back