Governor Polis appoints three new members to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission

I'm not familiar with the three who left to make room for these new folks. The scene wasn't exactly rosy before but I assume it sounds like it will get worse.

Very bad news for hunters. I guess the upside is no one will need to worry about point creep and tag quotas when all the animal rights attorneys and activists on the commission ensure the end of routine killing of non-humans (aka hunting). How is Gary Skiba a representative of sportspersons? Am I to assume hunters are part of sportspersons? Did the Governor consult with any hunting organizations for a recommendation? I have hard time believing any of the organizations that represent hunters would recommend Gary Skiba.
Sometimes the push for inclusivity introduces exclusivity...

Last edited:
That ship has long sailed. There will be nothing moderate about the future coming from the Denver-Boulder-FoCo metroplex of shiz. As much as I love the landscape here, I am also strongly considering a move. Sad.
I disagree, genuinely. As a purple voter married to a liberal woman, we've discussed this many times. The problem is that the middle group of voters (moderate liberals, moderate republicans, and independent voters) have not been presented with a reasonable Republican candidate for a bit. At this point a centrist Democrat might work as well. The problem is Polis - in some aspects - is a true libertarian and in other aspects he is very much a very liberal democrat. That's why he gets so many votes, the left really loves him and some of the centrists prefer him over an extreme counterpart. Which is why he wins.

But trust me when I say there are a lot of Democrats that are not stoked about how things are going in Denver and Colorado, in general. But if Republicans comes with a candidate that checks all those boxes I previously listed, they have a shot.

I am disappointed to see these appointments, and I look for any advice to strategically fight these kind of appointments. I've already written the Governor, quoting his own debate speech from the 2022 election in which he said he isn't interested in only listening to one side... but he seems to be abandoning that now.

I disagree, genuinely. As a purple voter married to a liberal woman, we've discussed this many times. The problem is that the middle group of voters (moderate liberals, moderate republicans, and independent voters) have not been presented with a reasonable Republican candidate for a bit. At this point a centrist Democrat might work as well. The problem is Polis - in some aspects - is a true libertarian and in other aspects he is very much a very liberal democrat. That's why he gets so many votes, the left really loves him and some of the centrists prefer him over an extreme counterpart. Which is why he wins.

But trust me when I say there are a lot of Democrats that are not stoked about how things are going in Denver and Colorado, in general. But if Republicans comes with a candidate that checks all those boxes I previously listed, they have a shot.

I am disappointed to see these appointments, and I look for any advice to strategically fight these kind of appointments. I've already written the Governor, quoting his own debate speech from the 2022 election in which he said he isn't interested in only listening to one side... but he seems to be abandoning that now.
Was having a similar conversation with @Ben Lamb earlier...seems the gulf of difference is the length of the stool we're on opposite ends of.

I agree. I am hopeful a candidate comes along before it’s too late, if it isn’t already. I have also written the Governor and every Senator/Representative on the Natural Resources committees, confirmation vote won’t be for a while. I think the only other recourse is to contact every wildlife conservation/hunting organization and request their leadership speak out and request the Governor reconsider. Contact every hunter you know and make them aware, urge them to do the same. I know it is said here often that there are many Democrat voting hunters and I know that to be true, however, if you voted for Polis as Governor of Colorado you may have contributed to the long, slow demise of hunting in Colorado.

I think this goes for much of the country. I live a stone's throw from Vermont, where despite the public image of ultra-liberal, left wing commies running the show, more often than not, they have a moderate Republican governor with a high favorability rate. Moderates could be running this country if the party bases weren't rigging the game. I hope hunting in Colorado doesn't take too big a hit from this current situation!

...not going to happen, sadly
If you want an interesting read about how these new people feel about animal rights do little back ground check and you will find that a couple of them are out to destroy veterinary medicine because of cruelty factor. It is just ridiculous ! Colorado has been ruined by the influx of radicals.

I would say that I don't believe the majority of folks who have voted for Polis would EVER under ANY circumstances vote for anyone with a Republican or Independent tag attached to them. Further, I don't believe the power brokers in the state Democratic party want or feel they need to go to a centrist. Without fairly large scale ship jumping, a non Dem candidate has almost zero chance statewide. If you look at the recent gun regs passed (especially the revocation of non liability to gun manufacturers, shops, accessory makers and ammo manufacturers for crimes committed with guns which was passed just LAST YEAR) along with the unlimited abortion up to birth law passed in the last election you can see no moderation.

I have been here 14 years now and have seen the political landscape change drastically. While COS has remained a fiscally conservative but socially libertarian city (as evidenced by our new mayor- who I support), the area I have described has shifted on a grand scale. Along with what that shift has done with the state politics, the local level political actions have been even more drastic. Some of the local ordinances and laws in those cities are comically left and show the true colors.

The only real power hunting and fishing advocates have in this struggle is the almighty dollar. $3.25 billion a year in economic impact is the only reason they haven't gone extreme yet.

The states like Vermont mentioned above, and I would include WI and MI have an ENTIRELY different flavor of Democrat/Liberal infrastructure than what is invading/happening in CO. That brand of Dem is based in the Kennedy/labor approach to liberalism. What is going on in CO is very strongly the West coast Jay Inslee/Patty Murray/Gavin Newsome/Tina Kotek strain.

The 3 members exiting weren't exactly winners either with their resumes. None of them were exactly contributors to the cause.... Out of the new 3 at least Skiba was a wildlife biologist for CPW... maybe that is a positive. The lawyer (Beaulieu) is probably the most concerning!

The 3 members exiting weren't exactly winners either with their resumes. None of them were exactly contributors to the cause.... Out of the new 3 at least Skiba was a wildlife biologist for CPW... maybe that is a positive. The lawyer (Beaulieu) is probably the most concerning!
Gary Skiba is a noted animal rights activist, and wolf forced intro supporter, who has been actively and openly hostile to hunting. Also in the early 90's, after the game managers, biologists, and the wildlife commission rejected the initiative to ban spring bear hunting, again he was one of the prime supporters to get the spring bear hunting ban on the ballot.

Gary Skiba is a noted animal rights activist, and wolf forced intro supporter, who has been actively and openly hostile to hunting. Also in the early 90's, after the game managers, biologists, and the wildlife commission rejected the initiative to ban spring bear hunting, again he was one of the prime supporters to get the spring bear hunting ban on the ballot.
Well hell! I guess I was wrong! 3 losers out, 3 losers in!

The problem is Polis - in some aspects - is a true libertarian and in other aspects he is very much a very liberal democrat.

What appointments does he make that are libertarian-leaning? I honestly can't think of any...I really don't believe the guy is a libertarian, but that he really, really wants everyone to think that he is.

These are Senate-confirmed appointments. Can anyone develop a reasonable, well-constructed argument (not personal attack) for why these three should not be confirmed before hearing during the 2024 legislative session? It's a challenge, not a rhetorical question.

just an honest question that someone with more insight and experience may be able to help answer: how many of our commission members at this point will be actual hunters?

they don't have to be hunters to be able to be good advocates for hunters necessarily. and the commission certainly shouldn't be loaded with hunters. but it sure is, at this point, becoming concerning how few of the commissioners are actually hunters in any way.

Gary Skiba is a noted animal rights activist, and wolf forced intro supporter, who has been actively and openly hostile to hunting.

i'm not intimately familiar with him, but is it actually true that he is "actively and openly hostile to hunting"?

it seems he's pretty openly against the idea of hunting wolves. but i would be surprised if he indeed would fall into the camp where one would label him an "anti hunter"

could very well be wrong

I know Gary Skiba better than any of the other current commissioners. Talk to him fairly regularly. He is a hunter and an angler, although he doesn't hunt big game much anymore. He's currently training a duck dog. He is "pro-wolf," which he would probably define as "pro intact ecosystem." Take it for what it is. I'm not supporting or disparaging his position on wolves. Just sharing what I know about him. He did go before the Commission last year and asked them to direct CPW to recommend closure of high risk domestic sheep grazing allotments when commenting on federal grazing proposed actions. Can't remember which meeting, but early in 2022, maybe February or March.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back