PEAX Equipment

Got out for a few days.....

ERSS

With the kids not having school on Monday, I decided to take my 13 year old son out for some winter camping. My initial plan was to head out to the middle of no where, set up the wall tent, eat good, try to stay warm and try to call in some yotes. My son, said "Dad, I haven't been ice fishing since I was a little kid" ( I think that means about 3 years ago ). So we modified the plan a little, and hauled the wall tent out to the middle of a southeastern Idaho lake and tried a little ice fishing. My buddy had taken his son there last week and pulled in a 9 lb rainbow. After arriving right at dark and 4 trips of hauling tent, wood, and gear a mile out onto the ice, we got the tent up and settled in at about 5 degrees. The old army surplus woodstove ( thanks Buzz ) worked like a charm and we were soon into the 30's. Gotta love fishing while laying in bed. Fishing was good, no whoppers but alot of fun and pretty constant action. We stayed up til 0300 fishing, BSing and catching up....Then after we woke up around 0700, the holes had frozen over, but two of the lines had fish on them. When we arrived we had the lake to ourselves, but by 0900 the lake was pretty crowded ( I think half of UT was there....don't they have frozen lakes in UT? ). Anyway, was a great time with my son, can't wait til spring!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 159
Now that looks like fun! Never been ice fishing myself so how do you know it is safe to go out on?? What thickness should the ice be before heading out with your gear like? Wouldn't want to end up like all those people up on Lake Erie afew weeks back.:eek:

Verey cool. That is something I have never tried with my wall tent. Might have to think about that.

Ridge-
I am by no means an expert, but I feel safe walking on ice that is 6-8 inches, and driving a snowmobile or 4 wheeler on ice that is a foot thick. The ice on this lake was a full 3 feet thick ( not a place for a man powered ice auger !! ), and I am pretty confident I could have driven the truck out on it..........but not that confident to actually do it.

Nice pics. Looks like a great weekend with family.

One question, was there any concern about the heater melting the ice?

Jabber
With the heat rising and that much ice below it, I wasn't too worried about it. We brought along a 16x16x2 inch concrete landscaping stone to set the woodstove on, and during the 18 hours we were there it melted down about 4 inches into the ice.

My wife would be like.. Why does your hunting Sleeping bag smell like "fish" ?!?!?! :D

Thats Awesome. Good times with the kid. I've yet to go Ice fishing.... On the SHort list of things to do though !!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back