Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Got laid off, now what?

I changed career paths when I was in my mid 20s. I was doing site remediation, landfill design and management, hazardous materials management and emergency response for a large environmental firm. I lived out of a suitcase about 10 months out of the year. I decided I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life.

Sounds similar to my background. Following my B.S in Archaeology, I spent a few years living out of my suitcase doing archaeology field survey. Heading "out west" to live out of my truck and work on oil pipeline surveys from Montana-Texas was the best thing for a 24 year old recently back from a deployment, college graduate. Great times, but hardly sustainable.

I would also take a hard look at local/state government jobs in your field. Downside is you will have a boss, and you will never get rich. The upside is you will have steady work, secure, and usually a good retirement. Most business owners, etc work until they are 65-70. With a good public sector retirement, you can get out at 55-57. Thats 10-12 years to do whatever you want, vs working. Just somthing to think about. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks. I'm absolutely open to going back to work for a local or state government, as working for the FED in the USFS was the best 5 years I've had working in my career thus far.

Thanks. I'm absolutely open to going back to work for a local or state government, as working for the FED in the USFS was the best 5 years I've had working in my career thus far.
Anything keeping you from going back to a federal agency? USAJOBS have them all listed.

Just an FYI, but if you worked as a seasonal for those 5 years, NFFE (Forest Service Union), just negotiated (successfully) some new hiring regulations that allow non-career conditional employees to apply under MERIT. I would have to look again at the specifics, but it opens a lot of doors and gives long-term seasonal employees a much easier path to a permanent full time position. Lots of hurdles to clear applying under DEMO...

I'm a few year younger than you but actually went through a layoff earlier this year. Here are a few things I did and I think it helped. I was back to employment very quickly, part luck and part deserved, I believe.

1. Always remember that it really is just a job. When people asked me and I told them, they acted as if it was the end of the world, which I personally didn't view it that way. I made sure to remind myself that its not like someone I care about is in a hospital bed; its just a job.

2. If you gained contacts (vendors, suppliers, competitors, etc), take a few hours and hammer it out on the phones. I was told I got laid off at 8:30 in the morning and had meetings scheduled with people by noon. While doing this realize that a 5-10% return on meeting people is good. I made probably 20 or so phone calls and met with 2 of them. One of which is my boss now.

3. Don't forget medical/dental if that was covered. COBRA can help but also look at what associations you are a part to have for group coverage or a spouse. I saved a lot of money switching over to another association instead of using the prior employer insurance.

4. Look at what you don't need in your life expense-wise. This is a great time to clean house on expenses you don't realize you have on things you might not really use. For example, I used to have a golf membership for $30ish a month. Well last time I used it was before Dove season. If you can find a handful of those on your monthly statement, its will help stretch every dollar out so much more and get rid of some unneeded pressure.

Lastly realize this is happening for a reason. Not that its something you did, but there might be a reason this happened so that you could do something you like more. From my experience, I'm happier now with my work than I had been in a while at my prior place. Good luck!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back