First hunting experience (not good)

All,

Before I begin, I'm not looking to assign blame to anyone or anything. I'm not looking for solutions. I just need a place where I can let this out because it's been eating at me since Thursday night. I literally can't sleep and this has been all I think about. I've talked to a few bowhunters I know and they all had strong opinions on things that could have been done differently and it's been a good learning lesson. Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I feel like I just need to vent somewhere.

A bit of background... this was my first hunt. I wasn't brought up hunting, but I've always loved the outdoors and I'm a consumer of meat. As a result, it was a natural progression for me to pick up a bow because I wanted to challenge myself. I shot so much in the offseason I needed a second set of strings in July. I was hard on myself at the 3D range because I knew a poorly placed shot meant the animal had to suffer unnecessarily. I got to the point where I could repeatedly hit a 3'' circle at 50. 3D elk targets at 60 were nothing. I practiced on an antelope target at 50-55 regularly. I shot my broadheads out to 50 yards and they flew as good (maybe even better) than my field points. I'm not trying to brag, but I put in a ton of time on my shooting and I felt really good and proud of myself going into the hunt.

Now, onto the story... I got an antelope on opening day with my bow. That's the good news. The bad news is that I had to watch an animal suffer in the process. This was a guided hunt, since I figured for my first hunt I should focus on shooting mechanics and I could use all the help I could get on the other aspects of hunting.

The hunt started pretty slow, but around noon I had a monster come into bow range (I was hunting from a blind). He stopped at 30, and I wiffed the shot. I'm no expert, but this guy looked bigger than any mount I've ever seen at Cabela's. Luckily it was a clean miss. The arrow was clean and the antelope looked at the blind like he was wondering what the hell just happened. He stood there at 60, but after missing at 30, there was no way in hell I was going to nock another arrow. I blame the miss on jitters. He had bedded down previously at 120 yards and just laid there for what felt like forever. None of my practice at the range could have prepared me for the absolute rush of having an animal that large come within bow range.

A few hours passed and I had another nice buck (smaller than the first) come within 40 yards. I had to lean aggressively in my blind chair to get an angle. That said, I steadied my sights and let an arrow fly. What I failed to check was that my new shooting position created a ton of interference with the blind. I heard a loud TWACK as something hit part of the blind. The arrow missed cleanly once again.

At this point, all the confidence I built up in myself in the offseason was gone. I texted the guide (he was looking for spot and stalk opportunities while I was in the blind) and told him I wanted to call it a day and maybe hit the range to figure out what I was doing. Mentally I was all over the place. If you ever want a good therapy session, sit in a blind alone for an hour after two misses. It will clear your head up really quick. Both of my misses were shots that I had hit without any issue hundreds of times at the range. Once the target has hair on it, it seems like everything changes.

The guide showed up at the blind with a target that I nailed at 30. Confidence was coming back and he also mentioned a spot and stalk opportunity. There was a group of young bucks bedded down just over the ridge. I had seen them previously, but they didn't want to come in and drink. One buck in particular looked nice. He had tall horns, but not alot of mass or spread. Still, for me, he was definitely a shooter. They were also not afraid of the truck (this is an active cattle ranch) so we were going to use that to our advantage to close the gap.

We close the gap to about 50, but the wind is howling so I let down. We let them walk off and bed down again. On the second stalk, we get to close to 50ish. I get told to put my 50 pin halfway up the lead animal (biggest of the group). I release the arrow and it felt like a perfect shot. Both the guide and an additional spotter say that the shot looked really good and he should die soon. But he doesn't. He runs about 150 yards and beds down. We recover my arrow and find that there's bright pink blood on it with bubbles. It looks like I got at least a single lung. Shot placement looked like the entry was at the bottom of the ten ring on a 3D target. Exit was a bit lower (elbow height) and further up the animal (he was slightly quartered away). I learned after the shot he was at 58 yards, which is on the edge of my comfort zone. If the yardage had been called out, I would have probably let down, or at least aimed higher knowing my bow. The bottom pin on my slider is 50 yards, and the top of my bubble is roughly 62ish, so if I had to shoot 58, I would have aimed probably 3/4ths the way up the animal. I'm not saying the shot placement was bad, but it could have been an inch or two higher.

With the antelope bedded down, we decide to give him some time. We go to clean up the blind and come back to him about 20-30 minutes later. His head is still up and he's somewhat alert. Not good. I had several people (including the guide) tell me that antelope are frail and should go down easy, but here this guy is still alive.

Here's where things went south fast. Both the guide and the spotter agree that we should try to get a second arrow in him ASAP since he's still alive. The rationale was that there are lots of coyotes in the area and the sun was going down in about 2.5 hours.

So we start bumping the antelope trying to stalk him. He's on full alert and even the slightest movement means he trots away and beds down again. After an hour of this game, I get another shot at him at about 50 yards. The guide tells me to draw and shoot at a very extreme quartering away angle. I hit him in the butt and the arrow rips through him lengthwise. His guts fall out. I won't claim to have the strongest stomach, but that sight will stick with me for a few years and might require some professional help and/or a bottle of bourbon every once in a while. I was shook by the sight, but the guide wanted to finish him off then and there. I missed another shot at about 40. At 30, I spined him. At 20, I hit him in the head. I'm so flustered my hands are shaking. I'm out of arrows at this point so the guide retrieves one from a previous miss. I have time to settle down and finally put another arrow in him. It's a double lung at 20 which finally ends him.

Total time for this SNAFU was about 2-2.5 hours of trying to finish him off. A few people I talked to said that if we had let him just lie in his original bed, we would have been dead there in that time, but the adrenaline of being bumped probably kept him alive for longer and might have impacted the flavor of the meat.

On field dressing it looks like my initial shot was a double lung that narrowly missed the heart (hit the lower part of both lungs). Guide mentions I should shoot a large mechanical head like a Rage instead of my fixed blade that has a smaller cut.

Overall, I'm not happy or proud of what I did. I have no sense of accomplishment even though I shot a "nice" buck. I keep replaying everything I did and I literally can't take my mind off of everything that happened after the initial shot. I'm upset that I lost meat due to the gut shot. I hope what I get back from the processor doesn't smell/taste like shit (I've already been told the tenderloins will need to be tossed). I'm less upset that my headshot ruined a chance for a euro mount. I could have maybe done a full shoulder mount, but I already had the processor skin the antelope since they had to clean the shit (literally shit) out of the body cavity ASAP and I wasn't thinking straight at the time. I can't even look at the pictures the guide took without feeling like I want to throw my bow in the trash. All I see is the additional entry and exit holes I had to put into him. I feel like I disrespected the animal. I'm not even sure I'll get the antlers mounted on a plaque because this isn't an experience I want to remember. I have alot of feelings of regret, anger, and disappointment. I can't even look at my bow case without feeling sick to my stomach. I can't think of another time I felt so low about something I did and had control over.

The thing I'm most upset about is that I feel like this was supposed to be an experience I could cherish and remember for years to come. This was my first animal, and I did it with a bow. Instead, I'm going to be sick every time I think about it. I feel robbed. I keep looking at the placement of the initial shot and convincing myself over and over again it was good and the antelope should have died right then and there. I watched so many videos on the internet of worse placed shots where an animal crumbles up instantly.

I'm on the fence of what to do next and how to move forward. I feel like I learned a lot of lessons the hard way and deer season is around the corner. I have a deer tag that I drew as a second choice (this is DIY hunt in a not very desirable unit), but I'm thinking about turning it in for a refund (the $40 could buy a nice bottle of bourbon to help me sleep) and trying again next year. I'm also debating putting down the bow and maybe trying rifle or muzzleloader hunting.

Sorry for the long post and the rant, but I don't have anyone to talk to about this except for a few guys at the range I hang out at. Like I mentioned at the start, I'm not looking to place blame on anything/anyone or for any solutions, I feel like I just needed to vent.

The best thing you can do is keep practicing and hunting until you learn to help with those jitters. You could be the greatest shot and have no nerves but still have something go wrong or the animal move right at release. I think it’s great you are able to harvest the animal rather than wound it and not get it.

I don’t think the rifle is a bad idea if your not confident in the bow hunting at this time. The rifle gives you the ability to rest he gun on something to help control your shaking

I'm sorry you had a rough first hunt. Unfortunately, the killing of an animal can be very ugly. I commend you for following through with that animal.

Usually, when I arrow an animal I wait 45 mins, at a minimum, to recover.

Do not give up! When a hunt goes well, you would gladly trade in ten bottles of bourbon for that experience!

Shoot a bow long enough and something like this can happen. You just had it happen early. I think you'd be more disappointed in yourself in the long run if you gave up on your bow because of this. It happens to all of us at some point. There's no slam dunk perfect shot all the time, and even with a rifle shit can happen. You worked hard to get ready to hunt with a bow, don't give up on it, dude.

I’m relatively new to hunting myself so I don’t have much in the way of tips or guidance. But if it makes you feel any better this guys a pro and he made a bad shot with his bow.

I'm sorry your first experience was such a bad experience for you. Not much consultation, but just know that we've all been there to some extent and none of us like it any better than you do. Don't let this one bad experience deter you from continuing to hunt. Go on your next hunt and do the best you can. It's well worth it when things come together like you hoped they would.

My first bow kill I shot 5 arrows. The first was a gut shot, the rest were me not wanting to loose the whitetail doe.

The dealing with this situation will fade over time. You've learned some very good lessons, maybe expensive ones. That's part of the progress and experience of a hunter.

Don't let it shake you; pick up the bow if you want to continue with it. Choose the rifle if you need a break. Just stay with the pursuit.

Your respect and reverence for the animal is admirable. It should drive your ethos on becoming a better hunter, don't let it create emotional turmoil.

I’m happy for your first success and am sorry you aren’t able to enjoy it right now. My first deer was a 40 lb fawn that came in with another fawn and its mom. I was so excited to shoot a deer I picked one in the scope and “flock shot” and somehow hit the fawn right between the eyes. The adult doe and fawn just hung around, which made matters worse. I will spare you the details, but as you can imagine I know exactly how you felt. Not to be a jerk, but I’m glad to read that you feel like shit over it. Something like that should make you feel that way, and it means you show respect for the animals you’re pursuing.

It’s enough now though- let yourself up off the mat. You didn’t mean for it to go down like that and it sounds like you will take steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again (but disclaimer, it might- it’s hunting). They usually don’t show that stuff on tv, but most people who hunt have had something ugly like that happen (even Olympic-caliber archers like Randy miss once or twice in their lifetimes;)).

Two tips that I’m sure you thought of- a 50yd shot is a lot for anyone, especially a new hunter. I can shoot paper at 50 all day, but only shoot animals out to 40 max. And next time, wait at least an hour or two minimum to track something you hit unless rain/snow threatens a blood trail.

I had a pretty gruesome experience with an antelope as well but it was with a rifle. I'll spare the details but I had to shoot him multiple times at very close range to finish him off. Extremely tough to watch him struggle for what seemed like an eternity but was probably 20 minutes. Luckily, a couple weekends later I made a great shot on my first mule deer buck and he was dead within seconds. I think that really helped me deal with that screw up on the antelope. Can't tell you what to do, but getting back on the horse and working through it helped me for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I would also recommend doing your next hunt with a rifle vs. a bow. Rifles are far more lethal and less likely to involve a situation similar to what you had happen here. Once you have a few better experiences with a rifle, going back to the bow will be much easier, in my opinion.

We’ve all had something go south that we aren’t particularly proud of. Stuff is going to happen, and when it does, you do exactly what you did...keep after it. The mental fortitude might be the hardest part of hunting. Things are going to go wrong, sometimes terribly wrong, and it’s up to you to keep your focus, incorporate the lessons, and persevere. Take what you learned, and do your best next time. That’s all any of us can do.

Better that you finished the animal than if you had lost it. It’s good you don’t take an animal suffering lightly, but you can’t beat yourself up over it forever either.

It happens to the best, it just happened to you sooner. (A few “experts” have left it on the cutting room floor). We hope every arrow hits its mark and is a quick kill but it doesn’t always go that way. I wasn’t there so don’t know if they bumped the animal too soon but if it was double lunged...
Here is where I tell you it happened to me once on a mule deer hunt, a 375 yard shot. I won’t go into details but it was dead on its feet before another hunter bumped it and it took off with a piece of its lung hanging out. 20 plus years later I still regret it. I kill most everything inside 200 yards now, not that I have to.
Stay with the bow, just remember the lesson...

Last edited:
Shit happens. Give it some time. IMO, I would have given the animal a good hour and half to see if it died. If not, then stalk it. When you go in for a finisher like that, all bets are off and it can get ugly as in your case.

You learned some important lessons. All of us that bowhunt have done the same. It's not an easy pill to swallow, and would have been worse if you'd not recovered your antelope.

If your confidence is shot, rifle hunt for the rest of the season. Sometimes the best antidote is to go right back out.

Antelope vitals are the small. I wouldn’t beat myself up too much. Not hard to kill, but not hard to miss by a little and wound one, especially with a bow. I’ve been hunting over 50 days a year since my teens and I can think of quite a few folks I have taken out that put bad shots on things. Certainly don’t try for it but it happens. My cousin “twitch” can shoot 1/2” groups at 200 but you put a animal in front of him and he’s all over the place. He shot a little whitetail doe a few years back and ran out of bullets trying to finish it at 20 yards. Had to cut it throat, he didn’t hunt for two years after that. Only way to get over it is get back out there.

Last edited:
You made your best effort to quickly kill this animal. You learned to shoot your bow well.
Now you learned about something called “Buck Fever”.
Your guide made a call and y’all were able to recover the animal. That’s great.
That you can’t just shake this off means that you’re human and respect God’s creatures. No shame in that.
I say go on the deer hunt and only shoot when you are 90%+ sure that you are about to make a kill shot.

Welcome to archery. In retrospect it's a lot to ask a new archer to shoot at 40 yards or more. Targets are easy... live animals are a different story. I've made your mistakes. Learn from the experience and try not to repeat those things that you thought you errored. Last, it's great that you are talking to fellow archers and learning. Good luck.

My first shot I took at a big game animal was a rifle gut shot. I stuck with it, made a silent stalk to 10 yards in thick cover and finished the job. With a bow I missed my first 6 shots. It was very discouraging but I stuck with it and am so glad that I did because every year I grow more proficient at making humane kills. It helps to have realistic expectations that as a beginner hunter. You will wound more animals and possibly lose some if you stick with it. It doesn't matter that you are proficient at the range and have the best gear. You will still make plenty more mistakes due to ignorance and you just have to learn from your mistakes and not let them define your experience. Also have been on one guided hunt ever. The first shot the guide pushed really hard for me to make even though it was out of range and we both knew it. I did try the shot and missed. The other hunter made a comment that this was inappropriate to push to to make this shot. The guide said he didn't want to lose the only opportunity we might have that day. Gave me kind of a sick feeling because I really didn't share the same values as the guide. Am not totally against guided hunting but if I ever do it again I'll be very selective and only in with someone who comes highly recommended.

A tough pill to swallow but chalk it up as experience. Don't fool yourself into thinking that switching to a firearm as being a game changer to greater success. I witnessed a cow elk get poked with several holes from a 300 WM before finally being dispatched with a 22 pistol because the guy shooting ran out of shells. The important thing is that you finished what you started despite the unfavorable experience.

Back