Caribou Gear Tarp

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

There was no 7 year wait then, and the Spanish Peaks were unlimited. I think it is more appropriate to look at the last 20 years- the numbers have sky rocketed, and the actual participation versus just having a tag in the pocket has gone much higher.
Wasn't 302 also unlimited as well? Same with the north half of 300 which is now 304.

Congrats to your hunting friend @theat that's pretty awesome. Hope to hear the story of it someday.

Can't wait to see what the future holds for this season. More stories I hope! Keep grinding guys!

Sounds like Lamb Lane might have produced in 303 yesterday or the day before. Can't wait to see what that one is.
303 is pending closure now.

There was no 7 year wait then, and the Spanish Peaks were unlimited. I think it is more appropriate to look at the last 20 years- the numbers have sky rocketed, and the actual participation versus just having a tag in the pocket has gone much higher.
Could be, I guess I'm not fully understanding the difference.

But I see your point. Probably also important to note that 501 and 502 were a combined unit as well. Even still tag numbers were right around high 80s to 100 plus. Even with the 301 and 302 districts in the ul category right?

Could be, I guess I'm not fully understanding the difference.

But I see your point. Probably also important to note that 501 and 502 were a combined unit as well. Even still tag numbers were right around high 80s to 100 plus. Even with the 301 and 302 districts in the ul category right?
I believe so- I just think in the last decade or so there's a lot less casual hunters that pick up the tag "just in case", and a lot more dedicated folks out there. And, just as with all hunting, we've all become a lot more effective at killing the animals we're hunting, UL rams no exception. It wasn't that long ago most of these units wouldn't close until late, if at all. That's changed drastically in the last 5 years. I love a good Shinabarger story, and there's no doubt he's put himself on his rams through effort, hard earned knowledge that has led to an intimate knowledge of the Beartooths, and his skills as a hunter. I just cringe to think that Podcasts will be followed with a video someday soon. We will love these hunts to death.

I believe so- I just think in the last decade or so there's a lot less casual hunters that pick up the tag "just in case", and a lot more dedicated folks out there. And, just as with all hunting, we've all become a lot more effective at killing the animals we're hunting, UL rams no exception. It wasn't that long ago most of these units wouldn't close until late, if at all. That's changed drastically in the last 5 years. I love a good Shinabarger story, and there's no doubt he's put himself on his rams through effort, hard earned knowledge that has led to an intimate knowledge of the Beartooths, and his skills as a hunter. I just cringe to think that Podcasts will be followed with a video someday soon. We will love these hunts to death.
Couldn't agree with you more. The last thing these hunts need is more publicity. I've been hunting that country for over 20 years and it used to feel like an actual wilderness experience. I would still run into other hunters every few days, but the past few years its multiple hunters every day and orange and camps setup on every highpoint and ridge. I have also been finding garbage stashes that are from hunters much more often. I'm to the point that I hope the FS keeps the road in closed for good. The extra distance of hiking up that boulder field of a road should thin out the numbers a bit.

Looking at past data from 1994-2001 for 500 & from 1985-2001 for 501 there really hasn’t been a huge shift in the numbers of permits issued and actual hunters. There’s some odd years where they only issued single digit permits, and some way back in 1987 (for example), where they sold 109 in 501. It was 106 in 501 in 2021.

Looks like 6 years of no harvest in those respective time periods for 500, and 2 for 501. Average closing date for 500 has been Nov. 1. Average for 501 has been Oct. 27.

All that said, I’ve heard every unit across the board does seem especially busy with hunters.
Maybe it's a recency bias on my end as far as permits issued goes, although some data shows otherwise. But there is certainly more hunters, who are more effective, in these units year after year. I think anyone who has been hunting any one of these units over the last 10 years will say the same. And the amount of data available online, has exacerbated the issue, as more hunters are operating off of better information, stated or otherwise (background of photos), than they were 10-15 years ago. And although folks may feel coy about the data they are putting out there, each little nugget of a 197 pg thread, social media post, or of multiple podcasts, adds up over time, and lives in perpetuity. I'm just as guilty of it and will own that. This hunt is a general hunt, that gets talked about in some circles like it's a once in a lifetime or limited entry hunt, and my opinion is that it threatens the long term viability of the opportunity.

What’s the correct procedure here? Do I have to start ranting about politics and cussing people out? 🤣

@YoungGun I deleted my post on that date and number data. Regardless of what is says it is indeed grist back there. I’d been hesitant to post that before and shouldn’t have done it now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back