Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Good Ol’ Days vs. Today?

“Good Ol’ Days” vs. Today

• Old Days

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Today

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
I never hunted the good ol days.... the stories I've heard I wish I would've been there. I can only vouch for today. Which the way things are going anymore, I wish it was the good ol days, I can't imagine what 10 years will look like.

When I was a kid, I was envious of the hunting opportunities that my dad and uncles had enjoyed. It felt that I was left with a few crumbs when I compared their era, to mine.

After reaching adulthood, that perception changed. I have had a good long time enjoying the outdoors.

No one can go back in time. The best hunt is the next one. The hunts in the memory bank are a reminder of the day when your legs would carry you most anywhere you decided to go.

I really liked the 80’s in Montana I would go back especially deer and antelope and most ranchers were happy to have you hunt. I moved to Idaho and For elk I though the early 90’s in Idaho were amazing I would go back in a heartbeat. Specifically mule deer I would go back to rifle Colorado in the 50-60’s all based on the horns and stories of my dad and grandpa. I have never hunted Colorado. They didn’t save a lot of horns back then but my dad still has a few I can only dream of seeing on the hoof one day. He told me by far the biggest buck he ever shot he gave to his uncle who hung them at a lodge he owned. I never got too see them

The Good Ol' Days? Yes and no.

Then: When I picked up my archery buck tag, I could even buy an archery bull tag for about $15. Good.
I was married to a woman who would blow a tampax if I wanted to buy some gear, or be gone for more than a weekend. Not so good.

Now: I competed with thousands of basement dwellers (" Tell me where your honey hole is because I'm lazy and clueless ") for an archery bull tag in four states and came up empty.
And I just spent $563 for an OTC spike tag in Utah. Not so good.

I'm now married to a woman who gets pleasure seeing to my pleasure. She's even offered me two guided elk hunts at her expense. All she asks is if I'm going to be gone for a month is if she can join me for the time I'm in the nearest town doing laundry and cleaning up. Not only good, but great days.

Anytime before the internet. My old areas that nobody knew about 12 years ago pre internet celebrity are now near impossible to find a parking slot.

Pre statehood alaska on the north side of the AK range would have been something special as well

The good old days, because I'm old.
Access was MUCH easier and way fewer stupid people out.

BUT with that said a few bright spots.
Nowadays I can hunt cranes could not before.
There are plenty more elk than ever before, we have elk hunting in some form for around 6 months.
Prairie dogs abound and are assessable without Outfitters and easy to find with modern technology.
And rifle bullet technology is so much better it's mind-boggling.

There are a lot more Kaibab now than in the 40's, but also more hunters , the equipment is better now but there are also more regulations . And since I am physically unable to hunt now, I will choose "the good old days".

BUT, if I was physically able to hunt today, I would----- and be looking forward to doing so.

Hunting forums were the local lumberyard or hardware store. The language was more colorful but name calling was dealt with on the spot.
Feed Stores, livestock auctions, Sat. night at the Grange ( square dancing, animal husbandry, hunting, fishing, some spooning ( few here will understand "spooning", but thats o.k.) horseshoe's ( does anybody play horseshoes anymore ? ), and of course everybody who can play a musical instrument, did. and a little home made adult beverages.

And for the record, some of the discussions I see here, I heard then. except for the 6.5 creed ;)

Hunting : right now. Alaska is a wonderful place to be for a young person who likes to hunt,

But, I miss Texas : Local musicians in every dive, rodeos, livestock auctions, horse shows, smoker trailers, trucks with a dog, rifle and saddle in the back seat, fast draw club, river walk in San Antonio if I won anything at the rodeo and noharleyyet . But Alaska for hunting :)

The Good Ol' Days? Yes and no.

Then: When I picked up my archery buck tag, I could even buy an archery bull tag for about $15. Good.
I was married to a woman who would blow a tampax if I wanted to buy some gear, or be gone for more than a weekend. Not so good.

Now: I competed with thousands of basement dwellers (" Tell me where your honey hole is because I'm lazy and clueless ") for an archery bull tag in four states and came up empty.
And I just spent $563 for an OTC spike tag in Utah. Not so good.

I'm now married to a woman who gets pleasure seeing to my pleasure. She's even offered me two guided elk hunts at her expense. All she asks is if I'm going to be gone for a month is if she can join me for the time I'm in the nearest town doing laundry and cleaning up. Not only good, but great days.
Sounds like the good Ol days of hunting might have passed but the good Ol days of marriage aren’t over for you. That’s a good woman you’ve got now.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back