Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

goHUNT-Randy-onX

Memory lane...and a look back at a fortune missed. Back in June 2009 I asked a mapping guy who had mapped some sort of gps overlay map of something in Indiana and posted it on gpsfiledepot website if he could make one that overlays all the ownership info found on BLM maps and code the colors to match blm color scheme. He said, sure, if you get me the digital files.

I downloaded and sent him the web links to the raw ownership GIS data for CO/WY/NM/UT/NM/AZ and he whipped out maps for loading onto a gps and overlaying on top of topo maps sored in gps or on the old topo map chip. Used those maps in NM and Colo that year to great effect skirting pvt lands chasing elk. Beta tested and asked for useability and visibility refinements that he did.

I knew we had a million dollar idea and did not leap on it. Career opportunity passed by, darn it. Now I pay others for maps. That map Jim Bensman made at my request still exists https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/247/

and still works as a free download on gpsfiledeport.com. I do not use them now since not even a fraction as nice as the current commercial products, but to my knowledge these were the “first” (and worst, LOL but they worked! and were accurate). Even got to tell a conniving rancher back in 2009 to pound sand when he claimed the forest was his and I had to leave. Priceless at the time in a unit where landowner abuses abounded based on lack of good ownership mapping data in hunters hands in the field. I remember hooking up buddy’s like Dinkshooter and brother ABQBW with these early maps and scheming all the pvt land skirting we could more easily do while leaving most hunters behind.

CFB86DC0-DAEC-440E-8FBA-361ECC9C5AF2.jpeg

6EE2473B-25D4-490D-82CD-2F0ABD7C1B8C.jpeg

Last edited:
I dig OnX. I have no interest in GoHunt. Maybe something down the pipe changes that for me w/ Randy's endorsement - who knows. For now, I don't plan to fix what works and I enjoy...

Thanks for sharing some business background. Adjustments are par for the course. One reason my other thread posed the query about current Sponsors.

X2, same here. I do not use GoHunt, I still like to do my own research. Its part of the hunt/adventure! I doubt I will ever get GoHunt. I'm an OnX guy for life though,
Matt

I tried a free trial of GoHunt and it seems to be a great platform for those new to hunting and those hunting multiple states. I only hunt my home state and I have OnX open all the time, for hunting as well as fishing. It’s one of those things that I don’t know what I’d do without now.
I’m sure it was hard to choose but I understand the need to do so.

I have both, but like most have said I use onX way more then go hunt. Go hunt is helpful when hunting in multiple states and I still feel like they have ways to go in some places. Excited to see what is in store though.

I was a go hunt member for a short time. I noticed enough inaccurate info for Idaho that it made me really wonder about other stuff. If I person followed the stuff I looked at they would have had some serious disappointment and/or maybe legal issues. I also got pretty turned off by the company after interacting with a few of them at a BHA rendezvous

I was a go hunt member for a short time. I noticed enough inaccurate info for Idaho that it made me really wonder about other stuff. If I person followed the stuff I looked at they would have had some serious disappointment and/or maybe legal issues. I also got pretty turned off by the company after interacting with a few of them at a BHA rendezvous
I got their free trial and canceled at the end, and I noticed the same about their Montana and Wyoming info. The “rundowns” on some units I’m very familiar with were also pretty laughable. I’ve been turned off by their brand of hunting culture as well.

I got their free trial and canceled at the end, and I noticed the same about their Montana and Wyoming info. The “rundowns” on some units I’m very familiar with were also pretty laughable. I’ve been turned off by their brand of hunting culture as well.

This...if you looked at the data enough, gohunt has errors everywhere. No point in paying for something to redo the work in the first place. Their odds information really went down hill after they concentrated on the store aspect.

This...if you looked at the data enough, gohunt has errors everywhere. No point in paying for something to redo the work in the first place. Their odds information really went down hill after they concentrated on the store aspect.
To be fair, I’ve seen the same type of stuff from Eastman’s and Huntin Fool as well.

Just got this from GoHunt. Click the link for a preview of their 3D mapping.

goHUNT.com
3D Maps - Early Access for INSIDERs
Our mission is to build the ultimate Western hunting tool.
As Western hunters, we need maps—3D maps with Western hunting layers, without the headache of importing between apps, and with features specifically made for us. That’s why we’re building goHUNT Maps, and we're adding it to INSIDER for no additional cost.
Watch this to learn about the biggest addition to INSIDER yet.
Lorenzo explains what goHUNT Maps is and why we built it
As an INSIDER, you now have beta access to goHUNT Maps for desktop!
Try it and let us know what you think. Any and all feedback is important to us as we make this everything our members want it to be. Share your feedback from the Maps sidebar or by emailing [email protected].
Explore Maps for desktop.
Mobile apps for iPhone and Android are just around the corner, and you will get early access to them, too.
Thank you for being an INSIDER.
12d21aa9-e9a3-410a-a107-7448b57f6202.png
Lorenzo Sartini
Founder & CEO

I'll still shop with goHunt to get that sweet promo code RANDY though.

I'll still shop with goHunt to get that sweet promo code RANDY though.
Yep. Didn’t buy, but put a Western Mountaineering bag in my cart the other day and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the discount worked on it.

Thanks Randy. I had noticed the absence of onX from your podcast promotions and wondered what was the deal - thanks for taking the time to explain.

Just got this from GoHunt. Click the link for a preview of their 3D mapping.

goHUNT.com
3D Maps - Early Access for INSIDERs
Our mission is to build the ultimate Western hunting tool.
As Western hunters, we need maps—3D maps with Western hunting layers, without the headache of importing between apps, and with features specifically made for us. That’s why we’re building goHUNT Maps, and we're adding it to INSIDER for no additional cost.
Watch this to learn about the biggest addition to INSIDER yet.
Lorenzo explains what goHUNT Maps is and why we built it
As an INSIDER, you now have beta access to goHUNT Maps for desktop!
Try it and let us know what you think. Any and all feedback is important to us as we make this everything our members want it to be. Share your feedback from the Maps sidebar or by emailing [email protected].
Explore Maps for desktop.
Mobile apps for iPhone and Android are just around the corner, and you will get early access to them, too.
Thank you for being an INSIDER.
12d21aa9-e9a3-410a-a107-7448b57f6202.png
Lorenzo Sartini
Founder & CEO
3D maps with layers , the elevation shading, game changer!

I’ve been playing with gohunts mapping for about an hour. Onx better step up their game....the features on gohunt are a solid step above. My account for onx renews soon and it looks like I’ll be saving that $100 this year.

It's always been around, the data is published for free. Just takes digging

you're right the data isn't new, it is putting the data is readily available, efficient and mobile use case that is the value proposition. 1 stop shop

Back