goHUNT-Randy-onX

Although I don't use Go Hunt for research I do love their content platform (articles, videos, gear revues and land management stories). I too am one who likes to do my own digging and have plenty of time to do it. The Randy promo code for shopping their site is by far my favorite thing and between the content they put out and the quality and selection of gear they provide I enjoy their site. As Far as On-x goes, I did use it for a short period of time and realized that their are other apps/options within the space that provide much of the same thing & in some cases more for a much more affordable price point so ultimately they didn't get my business. I am as much of a cheap skate as anyone else who spends 70+ days a year in the field and have to budget my money well.

In the End much of this does boil down to business and both have a very good business model and a niche. For me the content that go hunt puts out, both journalistic, video and otherwise is what brings me back to their site often (much like an on-line magazine with a store front). The paid subscriptions do have their place but I personally don't use them and enjoy, like others have stated "doing my own research". I think as a diverse content provider of all types of hunting, hunting products, land issues, video content, gear reviews and more Go Hunt would surely get my nod if I were BIG FIN. Just my .02

Memory lane...and a look back at a fortune missed. Back in June 2009 I asked a mapping guy who had mapped some sort of gps overlay map of something in Indiana and posted it on gpsfiledepot website if he could make one that overlays all the ownership info found on BLM maps and code the colors to match blm color scheme. He said, sure, if you get me the digital files.

I downloaded and sent him the web links to the raw ownership GIS data for CO/WY/NM/UT/NM/AZ and he whipped out maps for loading onto a gps and overlaying on top of topo maps sored in gps or on the old topo map chip. Used those maps in NM and Colo that year to great effect skirting pvt lands chasing elk. Beta tested and asked for useability and visibility refinements that he did.

I knew we had a million dollar idea and did not leap on it. Career opportunity passed by, darn it. Now I pay others for maps. That map Jim Bensman made at my request still exists https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/247/

and still works as a free download on gpsfiledeport.com. I do not use them now since not even a fraction as nice as the current commercial products, but to my knowledge these were the “first” (and worst, LOL but they worked! and were accurate). Even got to tell a conniving rancher back in 2009 to pound sand when he claimed the forest was his and I had to leave. Priceless at the time in a unit where landowner abuses abounded based on lack of good ownership mapping data in hunters hands in the field. I remember hooking up buddy’s like Dinkshooter and brother ABQBW with these early maps and scheming all the pvt land skirting we could more easily do while leaving most hunters behind.

View attachment 148124

View attachment 148004
I've been saying for years I should bottle mayo/ranch and ketchup together for sale. Heinz beat me to it this year.

I will keep supporting Onx since Eric is a fellow eastern montana kid and engineer. I'm sure we played sports against each other, we're pretty close in age as well.

I’ve been playing with gohunts mapping for about an hour. Onx better step up their game....the features on gohunt are a solid step above. My account for onx renews soon and it looks like I’ll be saving that $100 this year.

If you're paying more than $60 you're paying too much.

I’m sure onX will be fine. They seem to be in every other marketing section. I’ve loved the product, but if a company can develop land ownership data and allow you to choose imagery (similar to google earth) on your phone they will get my money and a lot of others in the south.

We need winter imagery. OnX’s current imagery is spring or summer and it’s just not as good as looking at a winter aerial.
And I’m sure people up north or out west don’t want images of everything covered in snow.

Its cool to play around with. I think i'll still keep me Gaia GPS membership as you can use it internationally and it's $40 a year

I’m sure onX will be fine. They seem to be in every other marketing section. I’ve loved the product, but if a company can develop land ownership data and allow you to choose imagery (similar to google earth) on your phone they will get my money and a lot of others in the south.

We need winter imagery. OnX’s current imagery is spring or summer and it’s just not as good as looking at a winter aerial.
And I’m sure people up north or out west don’t want images of everything covered in snow.
This was a big suggestion of mine to OnX awhile back. I would really love it if you had an option to select which satelite image you wanted to look at. Have different databases of various years and times of the year. Then going a step beyond that, there are infrared satelite images available through a few hard to find resources. If you can get ahold of those for the area you are headed into, your golden!

This was a big suggestion of mine to OnX awhile back. I would really love it if you had an option to select which satelite image you wanted to look at. Have different databases of various years and times of the year. Then going a step beyond that, there are infrared satelite images available through a few hard to find resources. If you can get ahold of those for the area you are headed into, your golden!

I think many of us have suggested that to them.

I did a quick comparison and Onx's satellite image clarity is much better in the areas I spend time. There are pretty much no meadows/parks in the areas I hunt so being able to see the differences in vegetation helps find pockets of deer and elk activity or better see the age of a timber cut to know if its worth it to check out. And it makes it easier to find areas to avoid like thick alders, maple brush, etc. Looking at the 3D option on gohunt and it gets a "meh" from me. I spend a lot of time looking at topo maps and putting boots on the ground so I think I have a pretty good handle of what the topo lines are saying. I do use 3D on google earth occasionally. I did not see a benefit with the elevation shading either. I was thinking it would be like Caltopos slope angle shading, which I really like.

Also, Onx's current imagery for the areas I hunt is a better time of year than gohunts and google earth's and is more current which helps show some more recent fires and timber cuts. Being able to change the imagery date would be great. For now I will stick with Onx and combine with google earth.

I didn't love the go hunt maps. IMO were clunky and didn't have amazing resolution on my computer but maybe there's some magic features that I haven't found yet.

I use OnX multiple times a day in my profession as a Professional Land Surveyor. It works very well and I have yet to find something about it that I do not like.

With that being said, if Gohunt would add all States and a land ownership layer I would probably try it out simply because they would have everything I would need, and then some, in one spot. Wouldn’t be any need to have multiple subscriptions like I have now with Toprut, and OnX. Cost differential would be very similar as well. Look forward to checking the new Gohunt out.

I’ll hold out to see the iOS app before I decide whether to switch from OnX. I need to run a native app with a robust offline mode since much of my hunting is in areas without cell coverage.

Interesting, if you forced me to pick just one it would be OnX all the way. I find myself mostly using GoHunt in the spring during application season, maybe to buy a piece of gear here and there, and OnX the other other 9-10 months of the year, and I really like the articles Trail writes. I've found numerous shortcomings with GoHunt over the years though, most annoying are unit and hunt descriptions written by people who have obviously never set foot in the area, much less done any real research (most recent was the moose hunt in my home unit described as "Lower numbers of moose are found here but with some effort, good bulls can be located." Sure.....:ROFLMAO:), and the inclusion of only data for antlered/male tags in their Filtering function.

I guess it will be interesting to see it once they work out all the bugs but so far, I'm not a huge fan. I have two main gripes

1. I have to turn on all of the layers every time I log back into my account. Don't know if this is a user issue on my end or part of the system, but saving all the settings would be sweet.

2. The access layer does some weird stuff that doesn't make sense to me or isn't correct. When I turn on the State Trust Land Access layer for NM, it turns some parcels of private land blue. The private land parcels I've noticed this on are gated/locked and do not allow any access, or don't have any state trust land adjacent to them at all. This would be especially problematic if the phone app shows a private land parcel as blue while out in the field. As I zoom out, I'm seeing a lot of private land that turns blue with this layer on.

Since this is still beta, does anyone know if there is a specific link to report issues to GoHunt?

-Guy

I guess it will be interesting to see it once they work out all the bugs but so far, I'm not a huge fan. I have two main gripes

1. I have to turn on all of the layers every time I log back into my account. Don't know if this is a user issue on my end or part of the system, but saving all the settings would be sweet.

2. The access layer does some weird stuff that doesn't make sense to me or isn't correct. When I turn on the State Trust Land Access layer for NM, it turns some parcels of private land blue. The private land parcels I've noticed this on are gated/locked and do not allow any access, or don't have any state trust land adjacent to them at all. This would be especially problematic if the phone app shows a private land parcel as blue while out in the field. As I zoom out, I'm seeing a lot of private land that turns blue with this layer on.

Since this is still beta, does anyone know if there is a specific link to report issues to GoHunt?

-Guy

Yeah you can send feedback to this email. [email protected]

So Randy- can you transfer all your waypoints from OnX over to GoHunt maps? Or are you going to have to start over?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back