Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Glock, 40sw in a 10mm

I feel it's a good discussion. No one is at fault, IMO, for following their standard of logic. But it is still note worthy to read all the replies. This thread may help someone else in their search for answers.

As you may have noticed, I'm not the most literate individual. And apparently I'm not smarter than a 5th grader. I learned that from watching the show with Jeff Foxworthy on prime. I learn more from discussion than from reading. So, an article has to be real interesting to me to follow it to the end. This article is one that does interest me and hopefully others. The author address most of the concerns. Does anyone know this author or is anyone familiar with his work? Is he creditable? By posting the topic, I get to read from people that I wouldn't mind sitting around the fire and discussing life's secretes. I learn a lot that way.

I think you run the risk of failure in any firearm produced. But, it appears the failures that have been mentioned were with normal shooting and not using like ammo that may be compatible. Folks use 38's in a 357 and other such "like" calibers. I realize that revolvers are a whole different design and consideration. If someone tells me that Chev 350 parts will work on a 305, I research it further and decide from there. Same here. Everyone should proceed to their own personal convictions.

There are a multitude of reasons that someone might want to practice or plink with a lighter round. That's their personal choice and I don't think any feelings either way are wrong. I do agree It is better to practice real world. I have pushed real world training quite a bit.

I appreciate all the participation and honesty.

How about use the manufacturers intended ammunition for the proper weapon you are using. IE a .40 cal bullet/cartridge with a .40 cal gun. And a 10 mm bullet/cartridge with a 10 mm gun. Maybe do this in a survival situation or SHTF but under any normal circumstances as an American who has access to the free market just buy the proper ammo. Unless you wish to be visited by Darwin and Murphy at exact same time at your range days. This is a bad idea and any firearms range safety instructor worth their salt should discourage this practice. Guns are dangerous and only one mistake can be life altering or ending so use extreme caution when coloring outside the lines with firearms.

Last edited:
I feel it's a good discussion. No one is at fault, IMO, for following their standard of logic. But it is still note worthy to read all the replies. This thread may help someone else in their search for answers.

As you may have noticed, I'm not the most literate individual. And apparently I'm not smarter than a 5th grader. I learned that from watching the show with Jeff Foxworthy on prime. I learn more from discussion than from reading. So, an article has to be real interesting to me to follow it to the end. This article is one that does interest me and hopefully others. The author address most of the concerns. Does anyone know this author or is anyone familiar with his work? Is he creditable? By posting the topic, I get to read from people that I wouldn't mind sitting around the fire and discussing life's secretes. I learn a lot that way.

I think you run the risk of failure in any firearm produced. But, it appears the failures that have been mentioned were with normal shooting and not using like ammo that may be compatible. Folks use 38's in a 357 and other such "like" calibers. I realize that revolvers are a whole different design and consideration. If someone tells me that Chev 350 parts will work on a 305, I research it further and decide from there. Same here. Everyone should proceed to their own personal convictions.

There are a multitude of reasons that someone might want to practice or plink with a lighter round. That's their personal choice and I don't think any feelings either way are wrong. I do agree It is better to practice real world. I have pushed real world training quite a bit.

I appreciate all the participation and honesty.

That's why I like Hunt Talk, smart folks who can have an honest discussion about a variety of topics without getting their panty's in a wad. Even I've had my mind changed. That's something my wife hasn't been able to do for 15 years. :)

The 357/38 or 44 mag/44 special loads in revolvers are much different, same with 45 colt/45 acp or since there you headspace off of the rim (moon clips or the cylinder is set for it). The safest bet is to get reduced rounds either by loading your own, or finding reduced recoil loads. There's enough powder and pressure in a pistol load to hurt bad if things go wrong.

The 10 seems to be on an upswing as a woods round. Plenty of talk about it as a bear defense gun compared to a revolver. The 40 isn't as popular as it once was but i don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. LE has been moving towards the 9 but plenty of agencies still issue the 40 and many people still got 40's. Both are good rounds. I wouldn't shoot 40 in a 10 you are asking for problems. For bears i would carry a 10 although I'm not so sure it makes that much of a difference. Otherwise I'd go for the 40. Much cheaper to shoot and a good performer.

Would you shoot .308 practice ammunition in your 30-06?

Just because people do it doesn’t make it a good idea.

No way, never shoot 40S&W in a 10mm barrel. That's asking for trouble. Also I wouldn't go as far as saying the 40S&W is dying either, if it was truly dying, ammunition manufacturers wouldn't be coming out with new ammo for it, they may be reducing production due to less demand, but that's about it. I know a good size portion of police departments,(in my state anyways), are still issuing 40S&W pistols as the preferred duty pistols. I own both calibers in Glock pistols,(both 10mm & 40S&W), and like them very much, both are accurate and haven't had any issues with them, the only modifications I've done is swap out the stock sights for night sights. Truthfully, a box of 10mm ammo isn't going to cost you that much more than 40S&W ammo, unless you get into the high end stuff, but even then, not much of a difference in pricing. Good luck!

Would you shoot .308 practice ammunition in your 30-06?

Just because people do it doesn’t make it a good idea.

No, of course not. But that's not really the subject either. That's really not a good comparison since I have never heard of, or read about doing such a thing with those two rounds. But I understand your point. You know there are rifle rounds that are safely interchangeable, at least one way but not the other due to cartridge length. Some are fire from one cartridge and fire formed to get the correct case for reloading another. I'm not going to list them because I really don't remember them off hand and have never done that. And I don't expect to.

I found the article interesting because I had never heard of or though about using 40sw in a 10mm. I would have never have shot 38 from my 357 either until I was told you could by someone that I trust. And then researched further to know more about it. And that I would do. It's not like I just made something up. :D

Some are fire from one cartridge and fire formed to get the correct case for reloading another.
Yes, I've fireformed cases. However, they were correctly headspaced off the shoulder. In this instance you have a case that is not properly headspaced. A 38 Special and .357 headspace off the rim. Big difference.

I used the example because you have two cartridges of the same caliber, but one is improperly headspaced. If someone thinks it's a good idea to do so with handgun cartridges, fire away. Like @Ben Lamb said, it's a good idea till it isn't.

I wouldn’t shoot .40 through the 10mm. I know it can be done, but because of how those cartridges headspace off of the case mouth and because the .40 cartridge wouldn’t seat properly in that chamber, that’s enough for me not to do it.

As far as the .40 being discontinued, I agree so far as guns go. A couple gun shops around me won’t even stock .40 cal pistols anymore. While I think most manufacturers will discontinue manufacturing .40 cal guns, a couple likely will continue making some. Regardless, even if they stopped making .40 cal guns today, no one is going to stop making ammo for them, just too many .40 cal guns around.

So far as the 10mm being a dying breed, I’d really like some of whatever that guy was smoking. The 10mm has always been popular with handgun hunters and has gained new popularity in recent years as a woods gun. It’s a magnum class round in a semiauto package. On top of that, it seems of late to have had a resurgence in popularity. I don’t currently own one, but plan to one day.

Last edited:
It's going to work fine, until it doesn't, then you get a kaboom. I've had a 9mm kaboom due to a failure to go into battery & me pretending to be Johnny Karate. Not something I want to take a chance with again.

Hard pass.
Less chance of a kaboom shooting 40 Smith through a 10mm barrel.

I have shot thousands of rounds through a G20 using 40 Smith ammo. It works, it's cheaper and its safer.
With glocks unsupported chamber reloading fored cases isnt a good idea at all.

One thing to mention is the fact if you think your G20 is head spacing off the case mouth you are incorrect. Glock chambers are notoriously sloppy for reliability reasons and almost always head space off the extractor just like 40 Smith ammo does in a 10mm chamber.

Last edited:
One thing to mention is thebfact if you think your G20 is head spacing off the case mouth you are incorrect. Glock chambers are notoriously sloppy for reliability reasons and almost always head space off the extractor just like 40 Smith ammo does in a 10mm chamber.

Is this still an issue? I thought Glock took care of this years ago when they revised their chambers for more support.

Is this still an issue? I thought Glock took care of this years ago when they revised their chambers for more support.
Glock did change the feedramps for more support at some point(gen 3?), but this did not have anything to do with the chambers. The tighter the chamber dimensions are the better chance you have of a Kaboom. I would not be suprised at all that the loosened them up even more.

Glock did change the feedramps for more support at some point(gen 3?), but this did not have anything to do with the chambers. The tighter the chamber dimensions are the better chance you have of a Kaboom. I would not be suprised at all that the loosened them up even more.
I know guns and alcohol dont go together. So dont anyone lose thier sense of humor.

glock_10mm.gif

I went a head and got the Glock 29, 10mm auto. Sweet gun! I don't think I will shoot 40 s&w through it, at least until more study is done. But it is good to know that the 40 s&w will do in a pinch if I'm ever attacked by zombies or crazies rioting and attacking people. I am going to try to buy a different barrel to shoot the 40's.

Thanks for all the participation on this subject. I appreciate the discussion.

You can usually (before the covid shortages) find the Sellier and Bellot 10mm boxes for $18-$20. They are pretty mild rounds but cost half as much as a lot of other 10mm. I usually use those for plinking. However there is a HUGE difference in recoil between them and the Underwood hard casts I use for bear defense.

If you want some plinking ammo, take a look at Freedom Munitions. The load new and remanufactured ammo. I’ve shot a good bit of their 9mm stuff.

Back