Caribou Gear Tarp

Glock, 40sw in a 10mm

Losing_Sanity

I've been considering a new Glock and found this article to be interesting. I have looked in all the local gun shops and retail stores for a the right deal and I have found many 10mm's and few 40sw's. And I have been told that the 40sw is going away, for the most part, and that 10mm is a dying breed. I really like the 10mm for it's power in bear country, but it would be nice to practice with a little lighter round once in a while. I have found mixed opinions to the article when mentioning it to gun dealers. Some say no way, some say never heard of it, and some say you can. And some are not very informed on the product they are showing you. I'm sure I will get the 10mm because it is what I want, but I still like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly on the issue.

What is your opinion on the subject?

Thanks in advance for all insight and discussion...

First, the 10mm seems to be getting renewed love lately, but will never go mainstream I suspect. At the same time, I can't imagine it going to zero factory ammo. And it is easy to load for if you are a reloader.

Second, in my Sigp220 I was surprised at how mild the recoil was in a good semi-auto pistol. While mathematically more recoil than the .357 magnum load I typically carried in the field, felt recoil was way down compared to my GP100 .357. Can't speak to the Glock.

First, the 10mm seems to be getting renewed love lately, but will never go mainstream I suspect. At the same time, I can't imagine it going to zero factory ammo. And it is easy to load for if you are a reloader.

Second, in my Sigp220 I was surprised at how mild the recoil was in a good semi-auto pistol. While mathematically more recoil than the .357 magnum load I typically carried in the field, felt recoil was way down compared to my GP100 .357. Can't speak to the Glock.

Yes, I do reload, so that's a plus. But, I also can't imagine with all the weapons out there that 40sw and 10mm will be discontinued by the manufacturers entirely.

I know folks do it, but since these cartridges headspace on the case mouth I’m not going to mess around with that. Like VikingsGuy said, the recoil of even hot loads is mild compared to a similar revolver. I carry Buffalo Bore 220 gr hardcasts and 200 gr speer gold dots in my Glock 20. Also, quite a few factory 10mm loads are loaded much closer to .40 specs.

The gun industry has been proclaiming the death of 40 S&W and 10mm for years, I believe they're wanting a self fulfilling prophecy to occur. There is a quite a bit of interest in those calibers in a PCC format right now, to the point H&K social media (notorious shit stirrers) will make a point of noting that a 10mm version of whichever semi-auto variant of an SMG they're touting will not be made. 40 is less popular than when the FBI and other LEOs were carrying them religiously, but the market tends to flock to whatever they and the military are currently using. It has made for some good bargains for me in buying ammo, got a ton of their purple training ammo for cheap.

I don't hunt with a pistol, but isn't 10mm still the preferred semi-auto pistol hunting round?

The gun industry has been proclaiming the death of 40 S&W and 10mm for years, I believe they're wanting a self fulfilling prophecy to occur. There is a quite a bit of interest in those calibers in a PCC format right now, to the point H&K social media (notorious shit stirrers) will make a point of noting that a 10mm version of whichever semi-auto variant of an SMG they're touting will not be made. 40 is less popular than when the FBI and other LEOs were carrying them religiously, but the market tends to flock to whatever they and the military are currently using. It has made for some good bargains for me in buying ammo, got a ton of their purple training ammo for cheap.

I don't hunt with a pistol, but isn't 10mm still the preferred semi-auto pistol hunting round?

There was a guy in the gun shop when I was looing at them and he said he had a longer barrel for his that he hunts with. That's definitely a plus!

I know folks do it, but since these cartridges headspace on the case mouth I’m not going to mess around with that. Like VikingsGuy said, the recoil of even hot loads is mild compared to a similar revolver. I carry Buffalo Bore 220 gr hardcasts and 200 gr speer gold dots in my Glock 20. Also, quite a few factory 10mm loads are loaded much closer to .40 specs.

Good consideration, but the article says that head spacing is not an issue. Not that all articles on the web are correct. The author stated that you should clean the barrel good before going back to 10mm for proper head spacing on that round. The author also addressed other points of interest on head spacing as well.

Tell me more?
They both headspace off the case mouth, and when firing a .40 in a 10mm chamber the shorter .40 case cannot headspace on the mouth of the case. It is instead held in place by the extractor. I know shooting a .40 in a 10mm works fine for plenty of people, but as I said, just not something I’m going to mess with.

I've been considering a new Glock and found this article to be interesting. I have looked in all the local gun shops and retail stores for a the right deal and I have found many 10mm's and few 40sw's. And I have been told that the 40sw is going away, for the most part, and that 10mm is a dying breed. I really like the 10mm for it's power in bear country, but it would be nice to practice with a little lighter round once in a while. I have found mixed opinions to the article when mentioning it to gun dealers. Some say no way, some say never heard of it, and some say you can. And some are not very informed on the product they are showing you. I'm sure I will get the 10mm because it is what I want, but I still like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly on the issue.

What is your opinion on the subject?

Thanks in advance for all insight and discussion...

I have a 40 sw m&p pro. Best semi-auto pistol I’ve owned. I love the interchangeable grips. I have big hands, and you know what they say about that... I need big gloves. It’s also accurate. I haven’t shot a Glock in years... my experience was not good. Inaccurate as hell, but my have just been the pistol. It was bad enough I have a learned buying aversion to them.

They both headspace off the case mouth, and when firing a .40 in a 10mm chamber the shorter .40 case cannot headspace on the mouth of the case. It is instead held in place by the extractor. I know shooting a .40 in a 10mm works fine for plenty of people, but as I said, just not something I’m going to mess with.
Ahh, I thought you were referring to reloading 10mmAuto in general, but now I see you are referring to running .40SW through the 10mm as referenced in the article link - my bad.

I got about 1k rds of 10 and about 4 k of .40 because I’ve owned a 40 for 15 years, but I don’t plan on running my 40 thru my 10 unless the zombies come. Lol.. in a full size frame the recoil isn’t much different.

I’ve never been a fan of using lighter loads to practice with anyhow, use what you would use in real life, for whatever purpose of whatever cartridge.

I don’t think The 10 is going anywhere, every year I see more bow hunters carrying one.

Last edited:

It's going to work fine, until it doesn't, then you get a kaboom. I've had a 9mm kaboom due to a failure to go into battery & me pretending to be Johnny Karate. Not something I want to take a chance with again.

Hard pass.

It's going to work fine, until it doesn't, then you get a kaboom. I've had a 9mm kaboom due to a failure to go into battery & me pretending to be Johnny Karate. Not something I want to take a chance with again.

Hard pass.
I watched a really cool old 1945 M1 Carbine do the same... It is now kaput. So I don’t mess around with stuff like that.

Hard pass.

I’m curious of the science behind how it would ever go kaboom? Supposedly there Is extra force on the extractor, but there is also drag between the case and chamber as the slide is pushing it in the chamber, how much force really exists from the momentum of the cartridge? seems minimal. If anything the force of the firing pin pushing against the case with the extractor holding it would be more significant. Also overall pressure is likely less do to increased jump.

Break an extractor maybe, but kaboom, I don’t see it.

I’m curious of the science behind how it would ever go kaboom? Supposedly there Is extra force on the extractor, but there is also drag between the case and chamber as the slide is pushing it in the chamber, how much force really exists from the momentum of the cartridge? seems minimal. If anything the force of the firing pin pushing against the case with the extractor holding it would be more significant.

Break an extractor maybe, but kaboom, I don’t see it.

He's headspacing the round on the extractor, so yes, the extractor will absolutely fail at some point, and you also end up with the unsupported chamber in the glock, and the possibility of the round slipping the extractor after the firing pin hits it (weak extractor) which can cause all kinds of trouble.

It's a situation where you're going to have a lot of nonissues, until a big one shows up. If you want to do it, go for it. I'll pass.

He's headspacing the round on the extractor, so yes, the extractor will absolutely fail at some point, and you also end up with the unsupported chamber in the glock, and the possibility of the round slipping the extractor after the firing pin hits it (weak extractor) which can cause all kinds of trouble.

It's a situation where you're going to have a lot of nonissues, until a big one shows up. If you want to do it, go for it. I'll pass.

Like I said, I prefer practicing with the Ammo I actually would use, that said I know people who shoot handguns a lot more than me who have done it. I’ve just never heard of it blowing up. And I read a lot about these type of things.

Like I said, I prefer practicing with the Ammo I actually would use, that said I know people who shoot handguns a lot more than me who have done it. I’ve just never heard of it blowing up. And I read a lot about these type of things.

I'm just a little more conservative than most folks on stuff like this, I guess. Cheers!

Back