GAWD I'M STUPID

Redmt

I wonder some days how I can get my boots tied. I've been chasing this really nice 3 point buck over 400 acres since opening day last week. I stalked, sat, guessed at where he might show up for zero results. I've seen him in the cameras but not live. He's been appearing more and more during late afternoon.
Yesterday early evening I jumped on my 4 wheeler to run down to the gate to grab an Amazon package. A few hundred yards from the gate there stands my 3 pointer! NO RIFLE! I left it back home so it wouldn't sit out in the f'ing heat all day. Someone please shoot me,,,,,,put me out of my misery.

SHIT!! It's getting worse! Right now as I'm sitting on the couch, drinking my coffee, Cooper laying here ripping dog farts, I look out the front window and what is standing on our water tank hill? My buck. I'm in my bathrobe and slippers but grab my rifle, regroup find my glasses and go outside. I get him in the scope and it's the damn elk. I have buck fever. I'm going back to bed. IMG_20220820_062601558_HDR.jpg

My wife has a lot of family in your area. We lived in Santa Cruz County in the early 1980s. It's hard to find access there and I hunted on the Los Padres NF almost exclusively. It galled me to see a 4x4 buck into my garden on our 1/2 acre lot that I couldn't kill. I had to drive past a lot of deer to legal ground. 3 hours plus to New Idria or Hunter Liggett.

I hunted pigs on Fort Hunter Liggett regularly. I saw a lot tule elk. The state biologist told me that a guy from LA had mistaken a tule elk for a blacktail and shot it. And killed the cow elk standing behind it.

Sucked to be him after that. Unless that was you, you are way smarter than that! :ROFLMAO:

Hah! Nope never shot an elk. I don't worry about the game Wardens. My wife would do far worse than they could ever do. She loves watching them and see them raise their young.
I have some killer pix from this morning in a game camera. One of the local ranches has a monster breeding bull that is roaming. He set up some pinch areas with a little feed to draw him closer. The elk destroyed his panels and got into the feeder this morning.

Don't make a habit of berating yourself. I know I do and it tends to spiral into a real self loathing.

You are quite fortunate to have those encounters. And fortunate that when you DO kill that buck it will be intentional, and not dumb luck.

You just saw him out of work hours....Kinda like Sam and Ralph.....

Nope! Not berating,, in fact I enjoy sharing stupid stories. I always include my wonky sense of humor. Life is too short and I don't have much left compared to the 70 years I have already burned up. Life is good, have fun!!
I totally get it. I normally would promote my own thread, but here is my goofy 2022 cow elk season so far. Lot's of boneheaded moves! I'm also having a lot of fun being out there and laughing at myself.

Crap!! I walked out the front door this morning heading out to my shop and there's 3 deer standing the same damn hill at our water tanks. One sorta looks like a buck. I go back in and grab binoculars, yep it's the 3 pointer. He sees me and is gone.
I walked past my deer rifle leaning up at the front door and grabbed binoculars!! I suppose I could have looked at him in the scope but didn't think of it. Please put me out of my misery. For whatever reason my wife thinks it's funny.

I wonder some days how I can get my boots tied. I've been chasing this really nice 3 point buck over 400 acres since opening day last week. I stalked, sat, guessed at where he might show up for zero results. I've seen him in the cameras but not live. He's been appearing more and more during late afternoon.
Yesterday early evening I jumped on my 4 wheeler to run down to the gate to grab an Amazon package. A few hundred yards from the gate there stands my 3 pointer! NO RIFLE! I left it back home so it wouldn't sit out in the f'ing heat all day. Someone please shoot me,,,,,,put me out of my misery.
I once stepped out of my wall tent after a noon snooze, prepping for elk to take their sunset walk. Purpose? Take a crap. I graph the t paper and shovel and walk towards our horizontal poles strapped to a couple close trees over our dug out hole.

Mid afternoon... In our camp area, a 6x and two cows bolt!

I thought I would never take a crap w/o my rifle, yet... As they say, Stupid is as stupid does!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back