Gardiner Late hunt advice MT

Hntnhrd

I have an oppurtunity to go along with someone who can hunt this year. Any advice. We will be bringing my Horses over. Sugestion on trailheads drainages.

Thanks in advance

Hey, another Rooter! What kind of elk is your friend looking for? When is the hunt? How much snow do they have over there? Lot's of factors to consider. Don Laubach who owns the E.L.K. shop over there is always a good local source for current information. Good luck!

Not my story to tell. I can say that the caliber of bulls people were killing was way below the average the past few years. I will try to get the tag holder to post something. He lurks around MM quite a bit. There were alot of Highs and alot of lows on the hunt though.

The hunt just opened yesterday. He didn't look hard enough if he didnt' shoot something 350+. My buddy shot a 381 last fall and was disappointed.

not this year. Best bull killed out of the 13 bull hunters was maybe 350. Actually there were only 11 bulls killed out of 13. Even some landowner tag holders. Apparently alot of bulls have come out early the past two years and were pounded during the general.

The hunts only been on since yesterday. Nobody in thier right mind would shoot a dink on the first day of that hunt. I have two friends over there hunting now with tag holders, we'll see how they do.

not this year. Best bull killed out of the 13 bull hunters was maybe 350. Actually there were only 11 bulls killed out of 13. Even some landowner tag holders. Apparently alot of bulls have come out early the past two years and were pounded during the general.
There was no snow and cold this year (and last) during the later part of the general, i doubt the bulls got pushed out early.

Hunt started last weekend. It goes for 4 day blocks for four weeks. this weekend is the second hunt. I was there for the whole 4 days.

Greenhorn stands corrected. I knew in my heart Greeny didn't know much about hunting elk, and the dates of the hunts :p

Talked to one of the local guides there today, even the recent cold and snow hasn't brought the quality of the hunt up to last years standards, they had to work real hard to kill their bulls, had to go way high. hey Greenhorn, have you heard from your friends?
jd

They both killed 345 and 335, both groups pass on several that were better and screwed up on a couple that were significantly better. The bulls are always there, even on the first hunt of a dry warm year.

Good for your friends but aren't they dumb for shootiong anything less than a 380 bull? You stated something along those lines in an earlier post. The bull we killed ended up around 338. Still a real fun hunt. Just crummy weather.

338, I bet you could make some great belt buckles out of that rack!
jd

Now that the hunt is over, just thought I'd check this site out, you're the one that told me about it.
jd

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back