Game farms, again

Oak

Expert
What a bunch of BS. They should just BAN them where they pose a risk to wildlife.

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - A Mesa County ranch has been quarantined by the Colorado Division of Wildlife and the Colorado Department of Agriculture following the discovery of a serious and contagious disease that poses risks to wildlife and livestock.

The quarantine order follows the Nov. 17 seizure by state wildlife and agriculture officials of a livestock trailer containing 20 exotic sheep and 16 feral hogs as it was about to enter the Little Creek Ranch in Collbran. The exotic hogs are illegal to transport in Colorado and the driver did not possess required permits for importation or transportation of any of the animals.

Fourteen of the 16 hogs tested positive for pseudorabies, a disease that poses threats to livestock, wildlife and pets. All of the seized animals are being held by the state at a secure location.

Pseudorabies is a contagious viral disease of animals that primarily affects pigs. However, the disease is also a threat to domestic pets and to wildlife, such as raccoons, opossums, fox, skunks and small rodents, which can contract the disease by coming in contact with infected swine.

“This is the first case of pseudorabies discovered in feral hogs in Colorado and it’s important to stress that our livestock industry is not at risk,” said Dr. Keith Roehr, the Assistant State Veterinarian, “Our department is working quickly and cooperatively with the Division of Wildlife to ensure that this virus is not allowed to spread.”

Currently, all 50 states are considered free of the pseudorabies virus in commercial production swine herds. This detection in feral hogs does not jeopardize that status. Colorado and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) have pseudorabies eradication programs in place. The Department of Agriculture, the Division of Wildlife and USDA Veterinary Services are working cooperatively on a timely response.

The DOW quarantine order for the Little Creek Ranch specifies that no animals, alive or dead, may be removed from or enter the ranch until further notice. The Little Creek Ranch is a licensed DOW commercial wildlife park subject to strict rules for the importation of exotic wildlife species. Because the ranch's wild boar hunting operation existed prior to state regulations banning importation or possession of wild boar and feral hogs, it was 'grandfathered in' with an exemption allowing for a limited number of wild boars on the property. Strict animal health and fencing requirements were dictated as part of the licensing process.

The quarantine orders also require veterinary inspection of all animals currently being held at the ranch. At this time, the investigation of the incident is continuing.

The establishment of feral hog populations has become a major concern for state wildlife agencies across the country. Packs of these hogs can devastate wildlife habitat by rooting up areas of ground and destroying native vegetation. Diseases from the wild hogs can also be passed to wildlife species, impacting populations and spreading throughout an area. In Colorado, feral hogs have been confirmed in the southeastern part of the state. Feral hogs have also been killed by landowners and wildlife officers on the Grand Mesa, near Collbran.

In response, the Division of Wildlife and the Colorado Department of Agriculture have signed a memorandum of understanding to coordinate efforts to eradicate these populations.

The Division of Wildlife considers feral hogs to be an invasive pest. State wildlife regulations allow the killing of feral hogs at any time of year and without need of a hunting license.

I used to see that place a few years ago advertising hunts on e-bay all the time....didn't know that pigs came in a pack
Packs of these hogs can devastate wildlife habitat
thought that was beer?

The reason you're not supposed to transport the hogs is because of spreading diseases. They need to find out where the came from and implement the irradication programs they have for that disease. They found the diseased ones, that came from somewhere else. That ranch was going to get the disease. I think they'll get hogs inspected like they're supposed to in the future. Some guy was trying to sell them some hogs is what it looks like.

Its like saying, they ought to just ban guns, since someone broke some gun law. They ought to just ban hunting, since some guy broke a hunting law. What a bunch of BS with that idea is right, its to simple a view of the world.

Pack of hogs, like pack of wolves, eh? I just call them "group of hogs". The sows and young ones travel in groups. I know of a farm here, when their crops got edible, the hogs would show up in groups of 75 or so from the woods. He decided to go in to the selling of hog hunts business instead of growing crops business, he has 1800 acres and used to grow milo, but now he switched to selling the hog hunts. Its illegal to transport live wild hogs to another county here without getting them inspected/tested, etc.

How about this Tom: We should permanently pull the license of any game farmer found in violation of any game farm law. Is that better?

There are too many of these jackasses out there who don't give a crap about the native wildlife. Whatever it takes to make a buck, that's what they will do. There was a bleeding heart story on the local news about this ranch a couple of nights ago. They lead into the story with the FACT that feral hogs are ILLEGAL to transport in Colorado, period. Then they go on to talk about how the ranch hasn't been able to have "hunts" since the ranch was quarantined 2 weeks ago, and thus has been forced to return thousands of dollars in deposits. The poor ranch worker is talking about how tough it is at Christmas time, and they don't know if the ranch will be able to continue operations. So now the DOW is taking away someone's Christmas! I could give a rat's ass. Maybe they should have thought about that when they decided to INTENTIONALLY BREAK THE LAW!

You can keep these pieces of shit in Texas if you like them so much, but I'll fight to kick them to the curb in CO every chance I get. They have absolutely no redeeming quality, and pose too large of risk to native wildlife, because they just don't give a shit.

How about this Tom: We should permanently pull the license of any game farmer found in violation of any game farm law. Is that better?

There are too many of these jackasses out there who don't give a crap about the native wildlife. Whatever it takes to make a buck, that's what they will do. There was a bleeding heart story on the local news about this ranch a couple of nights ago. They lead into the story with the FACT that feral hogs are ILLEGAL to transport in Colorado, period. Then they go on to talk about how the ranch hasn't been able to have "hunts" since the ranch was quarantined 2 weeks ago, and thus has been forced to return thousands of dollars in deposits. The poor ranch worker is talking about how tough it is at Christmas time, and they don't know if the ranch will be able to continue operations. So now the DOW is taking away someone's Christmas! I could give a rat's ass. Maybe they should have thought about that when they decided to INTENTIONALLY BREAK THE LAW!

You can keep these pieces of shit in Texas if you like them so much, but I'll fight to kick them to the curb in CO every chance I get. They have absolutely no redeeming quality, and pose too large of risk to native wildlife, because they just don't give a shit.

Are we talking feral hogs or game farmers:D

Well, I was actually referring to the later, and by default, the former. ;)

You going to write a letter to the editor Oak? Take away the liscense of any "hunter" who breaks any "hunting" law. Take away the liscense of any "driver" who breaks any "driving" law. Take away the liscense of any "doctor" who breaks any "medical practice" law. Like, if he fills out some medicare form wrong, kick him to the curb and beat on him some while he's down, take away his nurses and office workers Christmas, all of them, shut the office down! In fact, shut all the piece of shit doctors in his office down, they let him do it. PERMANENTLY!!

Am I getting it Oak, that's whats good for us, right?

You apparently are displeased with my solution. What would be a better solution?

I bet that is really a thrill. Chasing non-native barn animals in their non-native habitat. I can feel my heart beating faster already.

Is Montana the only state that was smart enough to banned game farms?

Oak, a better solution? Find out where those sick hogs came from and impliment the irradiction program for the disease, did you miss that? There it is again.

I think they're here to stay in many places of the world and they've been around a long time, centuries.

Oak, a better solution? Find out where those sick hogs came from and impliment the irradiction program for the disease, did you miss that? There it is again.

I think they're here to stay in many places of the world and they've been around a long time, centuries.

Guess who'll end up paying for that in both expenses and damages??

It'll be those that shouldn't have to.

Pillow biters ...

You've got an eradication program for disease in wild, feral hogs? Did you miss that part?

Pretty amazing that feral hogs have been killed in the wild in two parts of the state: the southeast corner, where they have moved in from Texas and Oklahoma, and then 400 miles away on the Western Slope, right next door to this high fence hog operation. You suppose those pigs grew wings and flew over the mountains to visit their buddies behind the fence?

Too risky, and ranchers don't care. Just wait until the economy has been in the tank for a couple more years, guys can't afford to feed their frankencritters and decide to turn them loose. Those ridiculous goats and sheep are only about 15 miles away from a recently reintroduced herd of bighorn sheep, and could wipe out the herd if they escaped.

Back