FWP Proposed Changes - 2021 Season Setting

So you’re telling me this guy - leader of MT outfitters actually told this story of hunting elk with his daughter on private land and the elk escaped to the safety of public? And this was told as a justification for having shoulder seasons on public? Is this recorded and did you hear this yourself? If so - I’m really embarrassed for that guy.
All true. Not a dry eye in the place.

So you’re telling me this guy - leader of MT outfitters actually told this story of hunting elk with his daughter on private land and the elk escaped to the safety of public? And this was told as a justification for having shoulder seasons on public? Is this recorded and did you hear this yourself? If so - I’m really embarrassed for that guy.
"I'll just relate one personal experience I had, my daughter and I have the privilege of being able to hunt a piece of ground after the regular season and we kinda jammed it in there and have some fun with it, its always been a lot of fun, a shoulder season hunt if you will. I wasn't able to get it done, the elk are in large abundance, we hunted extensively on the private ground that was available and the one section of public in this otherwise tract of private land was the place where all the elk were. So this is a district that is over objective, we held our hunting opportunity back to be part of the solution, went over there with every great intention and couldn't get the job done. You know elk are elk, so i do think there is some opportunity here that makes some sense. " - Mac Minard, aka @Honest

Amazing. I watched on and off. Missed this epic portion. to have the MT Outfitter come clean over his loss of a shoulder season tag on private - pushed to public?

Executive Director of MOGA? Outfitters should be disgusted though, they'll rally around and defend regardless...

With my line of work I get to know a fair number of fwp employees both bios and non bios. I heard about this coming down the pipe some time ago. I have yet to converse with a fwp employee who was in favor of more than a couple of the proposals. Across the board it's been indicated that very little of what's coming is from fwp. This is a political push without science behind it. I know a lot of you may claim fwp doesn't use science or listen to public comments. but you'd be wrong. It's hard to please everybody and it's very hard to make a strictly science-based management decision in this political climate. However I think we can all agree ... or at least most of us can ,after last year's legislative Fiasco that as a whole we are better off with fwp making Wildlife Management decisions for us rather than the governor his appointees and the legislature. I really hope I'm wrong but after seeing the BS that took place last year I really think all these public comment opportunities are so much window dressing and they will do what they want to do regardless The public's wishes
I would sure like to think that is is the way the FWP employees feel. Maybe it is in much of the state. In region seven though FWP has been pushing management with the law of diminishing returns for decades.

What a sob story by Mac. He should be embarrassed. Head of the outfitters association and with access to private land can’t kill a poor cow elk in the dead of winter. I bet I could kill a cow elk in any shoulder unit in the state faster than I could drink a 6 pack of @Greenhorn’s hopZone.

So much to say, though not surprised, but some thing I am finding incredible are the amount of Montanans who see this as a great thing. I’ll admit I haven’t experienced a policy Defeat like this that bothered me so much before. Particularly knowing there’s more to come. I picked huckleberries in the rain with my family today, and that helped.

It’s too bad the wolf issue has become entangled with it, as so many see this as the Libs getting owned.

Frogs in a boiling pot celebrating because they aren’t cold anymore. One of the chief issues of civilization are the amount of morons in it. Maybe an unsolvable problem.

Keep fighting the good fight.6B310C25-7ACC-4B36-A8D2-F9AFD352DAF2.jpeg

Maybe there should be a bounty co-op expense reimbursement on elk too.

So much to say, though not surprised, but some thing I am finding incredible are the amount of Montanans who see this as a great thing. I’ll admit I haven’t experienced a policy Defeat like this that bothered me so much before.
It’s more opportunity for them to get their elk. They bought a tag that entitles them to kill one

It’s more opportunity for them to get their elk. They bought a tag that entitles them to kill one
I think it's as simple or even more simple than this.
Didn't get elk last year or additional opportunity? "Hey, cool! More chance to get one! Niccce!"
A niave view of Montana as an elk capital of the U.S. Conservation needs a new PR campaign and private groups need to really rally together.

I think it's as simple or even more simple than this.
Didn't get elk last year or additional opportunity? "Hey, cool! More chance to get one! Niccce!"
A niave view of Montana as an elk capital of the U.S. Conservation needs a new PR campaign and private groups need to really rally together.
I think to add to this thought, from the comments I've been seeing, it's a lot of people talking about themselves and not thinking about the wildlife. They don't seem to stop and think why they couldn't get an elk during the general season. Why weren't the elk on public land? Why were they on private land or on the boundary of private/public land? Why should I care that elk are being harassed for very long periods of time? Why is calf recruitment down in some districts? Why are our bull to cow ratios set the way they are? How does habitat factor in?
You can only do so much hard hunting on public land, and it doesn't matter how hard you hunt if the elk just aren't there.
It's very frustrating to see people not think beyond cheap opportunity (or simply blame the wolves). But I absolutely agree we have to rally together. We need more people to get frustrated and talk to their friends about how we manage our wildlife.

Back