Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

FWP: Hank's out Dustin Temple in

The only thing I could find on Temple is he's changed addresses seventeen times since 2001. Hmmm. Started out in Billings and wound up in Harrison. It would surprise me (actually shock me) if he has any kind of educational background related to wildlife management. But at least given his frequent relocations, it doesn't look like he's part of the rancher/farmer crowd so maybe there's some reason to hope.

I don't know anything about the Montana folks, but I've seen people in other states change directions 180 degrees with a change in leadership.
I wouldn’t expect much of a change as DT has been the real force and architect of policy since about covid. Hank was a figurehead. So now it’s the same policies without Hank’s folksy charm.

Unfortunately, the days of apolitical wildlife management are going the way of the dodos. In the current hyper partisan climate, we are seeing directors and commissioners chosen simply to carry out the agenda of the governor.

It’s sad. It didn’t used to be this way. Expect it to get worse. I think you will see some directors are able to act in a buffering capacity, and some will go full send. Same with the commissions.

It’s not a question of if you will need lube, but rather how much and how often.

I'm sure our platforms made life a PITA for Hank at times. I respect that he would listen, call for perspectives, and tell me when he disagreed. I wish him the best.
He deserved life as he made it and will be remembered as such. I don't wish anyone ill will but my opinion of him is the results that he was responsible in creating. Enough said.

IT guy with a penchant for power trips and getting sued. Also enjoys the taste of the boots of those who can help him get what he wants. Big on not allowing any sort of scientific management be part of decision making. Let MOGA and their legislature and commission handle those minor problems. Word on the hill is they tried to get him in as director two years ago but wouldn’t have survived any sort of vetting or confirmation process.
Sheesh. Sounds perfect for the job.

Unfortunately, the days of apolitical wildlife management are going the way of the dodos. In the current hyper partisan climate, we are seeing directors and commissioners chosen simply to carry out the agenda of the governor.

It’s sad. It didn’t used to be this way. Expect it to get worse. I think you will see some directors are able to act in a buffering capacity, and some will go full send. Same with the commissions.

It’s not a question of if you will need lube, but rather how much and how often.
But who's buying lube for the elk and the deer?

It would be incredibly tough being in a high-vis position, particularly when you are in some ways, a pawn of the political. Under Mr. Worsech's leadership, the relationship Montanans have with their Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks devolved and was damaged worse than any previous in my life. No need to sugar coat it.

I know plenty of folks who know him personally and all say he's a good man, and I am sure that is true. I can think of plenty of friends in my own life who share belief in the direction he tried to take us. I wish him a happy and healthy retirement free from stress.

Spending the last 4 months working almost daily with Dustin, I think he'll do ok. I've found him to be direct, blunt, candid & someone who will do his best to lead the agency. He was easy to work with during the session & often times his candor & thinking were helpful. He's often the first to admit his agency's problems and he's been a decent collaborator on legislation. Not saying he's anyone's best friend or that we'll be happy regarding his decisions (corner crossing for example) but we can either work with him, or we can take shots from the cheap seats. He's a human like we all are and offering him some grace and assistance as he assumes the directorship is worthwhile.

Hank is a long time friend and while we've had strong disagreements I will always think he is a good & decent man. He's earned some time off to spend with his family and enjoying life.

Spending the last 4 months working almost daily with Dustin, I think he'll do ok. I've found him to be direct, blunt, candid & someone who will do his best to lead the agency. He was easy to work with during the session & often times his candor & thinking were helpful. He's often the first to admit his agency's problems and he's been a decent collaborator on legislation. Not saying he's anyone's best friend or that we'll be happy regarding his decisions (corner crossing for example) but we can either work with him, or we can take shots from the cheap seats. He's a human like we all are and offering him some grace and assistance as he assumes the directorship is worthwhile.

Hank is a long time friend and while we've had strong disagreements I will always think he is a good & decent man. He's earned some time off to spend with his family and enjoying life.
To be clear, whatever shots I'm taking from the extra-cheap seats are more directed at the Governor, than the FWP Head. Montana has big problems, that are going to be very difficult to fix, politically. It's going to take a process that involves a decent Governor, a strong FWP Head, and a lot of hunters who are ready to sacrifice something to make improvements down the line. I really do wish the best of luck. Montana has a special place in my heart and it deserves better.

He is the worse director of MFWP in my life time and it shows in all aspects from the moral in the whole dept to numerous other items. He is not a leader of men nor is he capable of problem solving. It will take years if ever to get that dept. running in a cohesive manner. Total mess.
Sugar coat it any way you want. Yes - we have to act in a politically correct manner, give Temble a chance, and work with what has been dealt us but we’re pushing a rock up hill.
I wish Hank well - and glad he’s gone.

The more I compare Idaho and Montana, the more I see the critical thing that keeps us from becoming you is our Governor.
Gianforte has the con in Montana and he will run the state (agencies) according to his ideologies.

Neither Governor is perfect. But I've observed that Gov Little has shown that he thinks for himself and is willing to veto far right legislation, Gianforte can't wait to sign it.

Both Idaho and Montana suffer from Legislatures who think the fastest way to a wildlife management PhD is to get elected to state house.
Idaho has plenty of politicos and candidates who could change seats with their Montana counterparts and neither state would feel a difference.

I would never want the job as a head of a state fish and game agency. You live in a vice with the public being one jaw and the Governor and Legislature being the other.

Last edited:
The more I compare Idaho and Montana, the more I see the critical thing that keeps us from becoming you is our Governor.
Gianforte has the con in Montana and he will run the state (agencies) according to his ideologies.

Neither Governor is perfect. But I've observed that Gov Little has shown that he thinks for himself and is willing to veto far right legislation, Gianforte can't wait to sign it.

Both Idaho and Montana suffer from Legislatures who think the fastest way to a wildlife management PhD is to get elected to state house.
Idaho has plenty of politicos and candidates who could change seats with their Montana counterparts and neither state would feel a difference.

I would never want the job as a head of a state fish and game agency. You live in vice with the public being one jaw and the Governor and Legislature being the other.

Exactly! That is why we are now East Idaho and West Dakota ... with Butte, America, the only remaining part of Montana!
Merely consider the ideologies of each major elected official in Montana east to west boundaries. They are not the Montana leaders with whom I grew up to respect and admire.

“It’s an honor to serve Montana as FWP director, and I’m humbled by the confidence Governor Gianforte has placed in me,” Temple said. “Just as Hank has, we’ll deliver on the governor’s vision for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks – to serve Montanans well, provide sound science and reliable information to policymakers, and protect our Montana way of life for generations of Montanans to come.”

Looks like we’re going to get whatever GG‘s desires are until he is gone.
More of the same. Hope Montana’s fish and wildlife can hang on.

Wish Hank the best and to Temple, well heck, best to him. Hope for some adjustments, even if slightly better than current... What should be science has been corrupted from biological to political.

Montana voted and we reap what we sow.

He is the worse director of MFWP in my life time and it shows in all aspects from the moral in the whole dept to numerous other items. He is not a leader of men nor is he capable of problem solving. It will take years if ever to get that dept. running in a cohesive manner. Total mess.
Sugar coat it any way you want. Yes - we have to act in a politically correct manner, give Temble a chance, and work with what has been dealt us but we’re pushing a rock up hill.
I wish Hank well - and glad he’s gone.
Are you on drugs? Or just a typical liberal troll???

Wish Hank the best and to Temple, well heck, best to him. Hope for some adjustments, even if slightly better than current... What should be science has been corrupted from biological to political.

Montana voted and we reap what we sow.
I’ve seen more happen in the last 2 yrs than the previous 16, under dem leadership. I may not agree or like ever single thing, but at least things are happening and ppl are talking…some are even thinking.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back