FWP Fisheries Director Ousted?

Pure speculation at this point. Declining fish pops on those rivers shouldn’t cause retribution. Best to follow the money. My bet would be on the Clarks Fork news because this has the chance to cost someone $$$ once they find the source.

Ok well if declining fish pops isn’t the issue than perhaps failure to promote policy that monetizes/ capitalizes on fishing to bring revenue into the state?

Worschek didn’t get fired. Also, him leaving had zero to do with his performance.

Carry on.
You need to jump into reality, he got fired, oh, pardon me, he just abruptly "decided to retire". Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows what that means.

Laffin'...

Him "retiring" was a good thing, he was grossly unqualified for the job from the start.

Last edited:
Ok well if declining fish pops isn’t the issue than perhaps failure to promote policy that monetizes/ capitalizes on fishing to bring revenue into the state?
The fisheries biologists should have lied about the toxins in the fish in those rivers like good little soldiers. To hell with the science.

Those fish have all but glowed in the dark my entire life. All kinds of pollutants from the Mike Horse mine on the Blackfoot, mills like Bonner and Stone Container, oh, and let's not forget the largest super fund site in the world in the upper Clarks Fork.

The fisheries biologists should have lied about the toxins in the fish in those rivers like good little soldiers. To hell with the science.

Those fish have all but glowed in the dark my entire life. All kinds of pollutants from the Mike Horse mine on the Blackfoot, mills like Bonner and Stone Container, oh, and let's not forget the largest super fund site in the world in the upper Clarks Fork.
Probably why they are caned cause they didnt play ball.
I was more thinking about float permits on rec.gov for non-guided clients and some made up stuff about the zombie fish and white slime

Last edited:
So what decisions did a fisheries division employee make regarding mule deer management?

Honestly, if I would have been retirement eligible I would have left when Worschek was appointed.

He did such a good job, he ended up getting fired. That the cancer you're talking about getting cut out?
I know Hank, fairly well. His health forced his retirement. He is in a life threatening battle with cancer. I only can hope and pray his is curable.

I know Hank, fairly well. His health forced his retirement. He is in a life threatening battle with cancer. I only can hope and pray his is curable.
I talked to him a year ago Feb about Mule Deer. Said he was going forward with the Mule Deer CAC as soon as the legislature wrapped up. Gave no indications that he was leaving. Just said he hadn't been feeling well the past few days. Stepped down not long after we talked, and I had a bad feeling about it. Sorry I was right.

You need to jump into reality, he got fired, oh, pardon me, he just abruptly "decided to retire". Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows what that means.

Laffin'...

Him "retiring" was a good thing, he was grossly unqualified for the job from the start.
Oh Buzz for someone that always preaches facts, you sure dont seem to have a clue why he retired.

I’m not saying he was qualified. I don’t like the way the department has tanked and how moral is in the tank.

Oh Buzz for someone that always preaches facts, you sure dont seem to have a clue why he retired.

I’m not saying he was qualified. I don’t like the way the department has tanked and how moral is in the tank.
He did an awesome job, that's why he retired.

Even though he was a horrible director and left a path of destruction within the FWP, I wish him the best with his health issues.

Last edited:
Not looking for a fight and yes highly likely.

Probably because they were swayed by a very misinformed opinion piece that unfortunately had quite a few great names in conservation attached to it.
I understand how the optics of this may appear, especially given the departments track record the past several years. That being said, if/ when the facts become public surrounding her departure I think folks will quickly realize this is not in any way political. I for one will be taking a big sigh of relief knowing that she is gone. Our fisheries division will be much better off under new leadership. I would strongly encourage folks to wait for more information before jumping to conclusions.
As someone who works on the inside, forcing Eileen Ryce out has been the political goal from day one. The fear of retaliation is very real for anyone who speaks out against the department. The op-eds accurately portray the internal dysfunction at FWP and the low morale of most employees when it comes to the Director’s Office. Regardless of how anyone feels about Eileen Ryce and the work she has done as the Fish Chief, what is currently happening to her is immoral and unjust.

Last edited:
As someone who works on the inside, forcing Eileen Ryce out has been the political goal from day one. The fear of retaliation is very real for anyone who speaks out against the department. The op-eds accurately portray the internal dysfunction at FWP and the low morale of most employees when it comes to the Director’s Office. Regardless of how anyone feels about Eileen Ryce and the work she has done as the Fish Chief, what is currently happening to her is immoral and unjust.
Uh...shouldn't you be more discreet?
THEY ..could be watching.

Probably, but there comes a point when silence allows this cycle to continue to happen.
Double and triple down against the silence. If things are going to change - it will be because of awareness. Light is a powerful disinfectant.

The gen population has no idea - and that especially goes for the people who got more than they bargained for with their vote. I voted GG - and if it werent for HT id likely have no idea this is going on.

Interesting HT discussion from earlier. Opinions shared by some that seem to conflict within or work in tandem(?). Either way, "The politics of dancing..."

Double and triple down against the silence. If things are going to change - it will be because of awareness. Light is a powerful disinfectant.

The gen population has no idea - and that especially goes for the people who got more than they bargained for with their vote. I voted GG - and if it werent for HT id likely have no idea this is going on.
Don't feel bad, lots of folks vote against themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
There were things i couldnt stomach, unrelated to fwp/wildlife, with the other guy.

What I do feel is frustration - there's no one to vote for that represents my values.
Speculation on my part, but I feel confident the reason is that a majority of smart, reasonable people who would make good leaders don’t want to subject themselves or their families to the vitriol, hatred, and attacks from the “other” side. And that goes for both sides. It prevents good, qualified leaders from wanting to take the lead.

My 2 cents

There were things i couldnt stomach, unrelated to fwp/wildlife, with the other guy.

What I do feel is frustration - there's no one to vote for that represents my values.
Sure, just ask yourself if you're better off under GG. Which policies of his have improved your quality of life in Montana?

Lower state income taxes? Property taxes? More state lands? Slower urban sprawl? Better wildlife resources? Happier state employees?

I'm tired of hearing about what the "other guy" may have done.

What's the current governor done to help the good people of Montana?

I'm not hearing much positive. To be blunt, he sucks for anything to do with wildlife, fishing, hunting, etc.

I have a in-law who works for the department echoing this statement.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back