Fun weekend

Ben Lamb

Made it out to Eastern MT over the weekend chasing sage grouse, sharpies & huns. Loads of fun, and despite what some may say - sage grouse are delicious. We put up a few coveys of Sage Grouse over 2 days and took 4 of them. The sharpies were all over, and we found a couple of big coveys of huns as well. Fun weekend, and we had some pretty good accommodations at the American Prairie Reserve. APR has a lot of land in block management, and it's pretty darned good sharpie/hun hunting.

Sunrise at Camp:

DSC_0003 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

Morning walk, about 3 miles from the top down to the Reservoir.

DSC_0008 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

16 gauge x 8mm rimmed Drilling was a joy to carry.

DSC_0015 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

Hard feeling out on the Prairie:

DSC_0089 by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

Nice Lunar eclipse with no light pollution around:

DSC_0159 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

Last edited:

Oak

Expert
Your photos are superlatively sized, but looks like a fun weekend. I find the conflicting definitions of "land grab" interesting.

Nameless Range

Looks like a great trip. The country on and around the APR is something else, as is that beautiful shotgun.

How did you cook the Sage Grouse? Thanks for sharing!

Ben Lamb

We breasted & took the thighs then pan fried them with oil, salt, pepper and oregano to just above rare, then put a red wine reduction sauce on them one night, and a white wine reduction on them the next. I preferred the white wine sauce, surprisingly.

noharleyyet

Quite the gentleman's hunt Ben...like the post pic. Supper fixin's sound appetizing.

Ben Lamb

Well whooopdee freeakin doo.....

I have an 870 that was relegated to a safe queen when I bought my Beretta Urika. ;)

Good choice. :)

Come on over and we'll go together. You're more than welcome to take it for a walk.