Yeti GOBOX Collection

Friday Music on Tuesday - R.I.P John Prine

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I first saw John Prine at a small ASU music auditorium, circa 1984. Finally, a song writer who saw the world through eyes my mind could relate to. He passed today from COVID-19.

Some of you younger folks may not have known him or his music. Odds are you knew some of the songs he wrote, often eloquently sang by others. As long as I might live, there will never be a more talented song writer on this planet.

I know this thread is three days early, but for a guy like Prine, it is worth a bit of early opening. As Prine would sing, "That's the Way the World Goes 'Round." For him and many others, I wish it was still going around.

Post up some of your favorite John Prine. For those too young to have known of his music, you're in for a treat. R.I.P John Prine.

Last edited:
"Grandpa was a Carpenter" and "Often is a word I seldom use", two of my favs. Still listen to the Sweat Revenge album on my way to muzxy elk camp everyyear. RIP

In the fall on 1995, my freshman year at the UW, I was played a cover of Angel From Montgomery from a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds bootleg similar to this. I'm sure I had heard John Prine songs before, but this was when it stuck in my head. I can't tell you how many times I tried unsuccessfully to get laid by playing that song.....it put me into the friend zone every time. Glad I got rid of my Dave Matthew phase pretty quick.....but Prine stuck.

Sad night in my house. Probably one of the younger guys around here that's been listening to him my entire life thanks to my parents and my life long best friend's parents exposing us to great music. When I heard he had covid, I knew it probably wouldn't be good.

I am probably in a minority of people my age who even know who John Prine is, let alone enjoy his music. There's something about the way he would tell a story through his music that resonated with me. It's rare that I hear one of his songs on the radio and don't start singing along, often without doing so consciously. RIP Mr. Prine.

Back