Caribou Gear Tarp

The Melding of Music and Landscape

Nameless Range

Are there certain types of music, or musicians, that make you think of a chunk of earth?

This weekend I saw that the Red Hot Chili Peppers released a new single, their first with John Frusciante since their 2006 album Stadium Arcadium.

That album came out the first week of May 2006. As I did back then, I spent the 3rd Saturday of May in the Big Hole Valley, fishing the western Montana opener. I spent 4 days in the valley, fishing blown out streams in snow and rain with a buddy, and this album was the soundtrack. Whenever I hear songs from the album, I think of the Big Hole, and inclement weather, and a different time - and conversely, when I am in the Big Hole, I hear those songs whether they are playing or not.

1644246965681.png

Another example of melody and geography becoming the same in my memories, is John Denver. When I was young, my mother's best friend worked for a large ranch in SW Montana near Cliff and Wade Lakes. We would basically spend the summers down there camping. This gal owned a blue Chevy Blazer and all she listened to were tapes of John Denver. I must've been 5 or 6, but I can still see the painting of Mickey Mouse on the roof of her rig, there's no seatbelts and I am being bounced around on bad roads, and can smell the cigarette smoke, as we rodded up the Cliff Lake Bench to the sounds of John Denver. At the time it was perfect. He sang beautiful songs about beautiful places, and I knew I was in one. Even now, as I own a cabin in that country, John Denver takes me there when I am not, and when I am there, I feel like listening to John Denver.

1644247260502.png

How about you? Is there music that in your mind is attached to a place, or vice versa?

Good one! Absolutely...

The first big adventure I had on my own was June in the summer between HS and college; I rode the Greyhound from Missoula to Lander and did a 30 day nols mountaineering trip. The bus only got to Butte before the police came on to drag a guy off for drug distribution, I kid you not. I also learned about jail hooch from my seat mate.

They had just come out with mp3 players, and I had this cheap knock off version...you could only fit a couple albums on there. Audioslave was, and still is, among my favorite bands, and Out of Exile had just come out in May; so I had their two albums on there. The combination of a really formative experience and those albums just hammering is something I won't ever be able to separate. It's funny how the sense of smell goes along with this concept. I can smell the old hotel, the gnarly sleeping bag I lived in...all that stuff when I hear those songs. Would have to do some major digging for a photo...

Are there certain types of music, or musicians, that make you think of a chunk of earth?

This weekend I saw that the Red Hot Chili Peppers released a new single, their first with John Frusciante since their 2006 album Stadium Arcadium.

That album came out the first week of May 2006. As I did back then, I spent the 3rd Saturday of May in the Big Hole Valley, fishing the western Montana opener. I spent 4 days in the valley, fishing blown out streams in snow and rain with a buddy, and this album was the soundtrack. Whenever I hear songs from the album, I think of the Big Hole, and inclement weather, and a different time - and conversely, when I am in the Big Hole, I hear those songs whether they are playing or not.

View attachment 211504

Another example of melody and geography becoming the same in my memories, is John Denver. When I was young, my mother's best friend worked for a large ranch in SW Montana near Cliff and Wade Lakes. We would basically spend the summers down there camping. This gal owned a blue Chevy Blazer and all she listened to were tapes of John Denver. I must've been 5 or 6, but I can still see the painting of Mickey Mouse on the roof of her rig, there's no seatbelts and I am being bounced around on bad roads, and can smell the cigarette smoke, as we rodded up the Cliff Lake Bench to the sounds of John Denver. At the time it was perfect. He sang beautiful songs about beautiful places, and I knew I was in one. Even now, as I own a cabin in that country, John Denver takes me there when I am not, and when I am there, I feel like listening to John Denver.

View attachment 211505

How about you? Is there music that in your mind is attached to a place, or vice versa
Speaking of Stadium Arcadium, absolutely tied to the Blue Mountain and Pattee Canyone frisbee golf courses in Missoula, and my all-time favorite disc the Cheetah. I wore all of those things out my freshman year at UM. Miraculously still have the Cheetah.

Good one! Absolutely...

The first big adventure I had on my own was June in the summer between HS and college; I rode the Greyhound from Missoula to Lander and did a 30 day nols mountaineering trip. The bus only got to Butte before the police came on to drag a guy off for drug distribution, I kid you not. I also learned about jail hooch from my seat mate.

They had just come out with mp3 players, and I had this cheap knock off version...you could only fit a couple albums on there. Audioslave was, and still is, among my favorite bands, and Out of Exile had just come out in May; so I had their two albums on there. The combination of a really formative experience and those albums just hammering is something I won't ever be able to separate. It's funny how the sense of smell goes along with this concept. I can smell the old hotel, the gnarly sleeping bag I lived in...all that stuff when I hear those songs. Would have to do some major digging for a photo...

Love it.

I loved Audioslave, and lived in House 64 in the old Stimson Lumber houses in Bonner when Out Of Exile came out. I can still crank The Curse up and be there.

Those houses were as much "of a place" as anything I can imagine.

Back then it was a low income neighborhood, where people too broke to buy sleds wrapped laundry baskets in a garbage bag for their kids to sled in. I loved it. We were offered right of first refusal to buy our house for around $100,000. Didn't have the money of course, and today it would sell for well north of $350,000. If only I knew!

1644249424413.png

I once drove to Gaspe, Quebec from Maryland with a hippy stoner to go salmon fishing. There was this bluegrass-y country song he was playing from some no-name southern freaker band a lot on trip. I can still hear this song in my head sometimes along with the mental images of those emerald green rivers, but I cannot remember the song, the band, or really even the words to find it to play again. Its some shadow on the wall of time, there but not there. Im hearing it now. Maybe this never happened, but I think it did. Good times. (Man)

Summer of 1995 we gathered yearlings off of the USFS allotment on the Hat Creek Rim to take to the McArthur Cutting horse show. We had two old cattle trucks a Ford and an International both 60's vintage. I drove both of those trucks over washboard roads multiple trips to get the cattle to the fairgrounds. In my head I was hearing George Thorogood's song "GearJammer"

DSC04057.jpg

Backpack trip to the Beartooths in early July, 1975. Still a lot of snow up high that year and when we got into Montana at Golden and Jasper lake, they were still iced over. Wind was blowing and snow was deep! John Denver's Rocky Mountain Suite/Cold Nights in Canada reminds me of that place and time.
Tying flies and listening to the radio before a trip to the Popo Agie Wilderness, I heard Poco's Heart of the night for the first time. Song still reminds me of that trip.

Backpack trip to the Beartooths in early July, 1975. Still a lot of snow up high that year and when we got into Montana at Golden and Jasper lake, they were still iced over. Wind was blowing and snow was deep! John Denver's Rocky Mountain Suite/Cold Nights in Canada reminds me of that place and time.
Tying flies and listening to the radio before a trip to the Popo Agie Wilderness, I heard Poco's Heart of the night for the first time. Song still reminds me of that trip.
Yes sir, that'n'll take ya places...beautiful

One song, two landscapes/memories/individuals

I grew up with Navajo children and stayed in touch with many of them even after we left Arizona. One of those friends invited me to her grandson's "baby's first laugh" party ( which is a big thing in the Navajo Nation ). After the party we rode horses to the Grand Canyon together, just as we had done as children. She told me she though this song fit and she was right.

The second memory involving this song was when my husband rented horses and we rode in the Desert in Egypt. He actually sang, or tried anyway to sing this song while we were riding

Both of these events happen almost 50 years ago and both my friend and my husband have passed, but I never hear the following song without remembering those two rides and the landscape where they took place

America---- A Horse with No Name

Last edited:
Eagles' Take It to the Limit. Camper shell on back of my '72 F250 w high school giirlfriend. Meisner had some pipes then.

Chuck Pyle's Colorado, Poco's Good Feelin' to Know every time I cross the Continental Divide to Colorado's West (Best) Slope.

Jerry Jeff's version of Pyle's Jaded Lover, the old KWSB studio in the basement of the Union @ Western State College, Gunnison CO.

Any hiking trail or bushwhack climbing above timberline, Michael Murphy's Carolina in the Pines.

London Homesick Blues, Those Feat'll Steer Ya Wrong Sometimes, Asleep @ the Wheel, anywhere in TX.

Get Outta Denver/Seger, Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel, I70 west of Denver.

Macarena, Maleguena, beaches of Mexico.

Vietnam Veterans' Memorial, Prine's Sam Stone and Your Flag Decal.

Anywhere w split rail fences, livestock and long views (Dallas Divide west of Ridgway CO), You Ain't Goin' Nowhere.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Ripplin' Waters, Crested Butte CO, also Fleetwood Mac's Landslide.

SOCAL, Doors especially LA Woman. Also Marth Davis and the Motels, Only the Lonely.

Rocky Mountain High: Long Lake, Rainbow Lake, Horsethief Lake, any lake or tarn up around timberline.

It may seem funny, but the Icelandic Folk Pop Band Of Monsters & Men's album "MY head is an Animal" reminds me of pronghorn hunting on the Hi-line.

Bob Marley's Legend: The summer between Junior & Senior year of high school in Houston TX

Nirvana Nevermind - couch surfing as a vagabond youth in the early 90's in Houston, TX

Pearl Jam's Vs album: Working overnights at a radio station in Casper Wyoming

Yoshida Brothers Best of Volume I: Throwing pots in a tiny little studio in Cedar MI

Miles Davis Sketches of Spain: Hot & dusty days trout bumming across western Wyoming in an old Isuzu Trooper II that didn't have AC, and was proned to overheating thanks to a crappy manifold gasket repair job.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back