Friday Music on Tuesday - R.I.P John Prine

Friends of ours were neighbors and friends of John’s in Nashville some years ago. Prine was on our lake house playlist for many summer afternoons. One of the greatest song writers to come along. RIP.

RIP Johnny Boy!
I 1st saw JP in 78 @ the Troubadour and became a follower. Don't know how many jobs I did listening to cassettes we made with John Prine in the mix on site. Sam Stone ,Dear Abby...the list is endless.
Spent the last few hours listening to his albums on my phonograph.

This is like one of those old family albums that every picture makes you smile a little and say to your self "Those were good times," or "I almost forgot about that one." Or maybe when you thought the words were "happy enchilada and you think your gunna drown." My son saw him at age six in Butte and I still remember how he jumped up and pumped his hands in the air when JP finally played "Dear Abbey."

Here's one I stumbled across the other day.

This one hurts. He was my first concert, I learned to play guitar to his songs, and frankly, there will never be another like him. I'd be hard-pressed to find a favorite of his, but I'd have to say Paradise (hence my signature), Angel From Montgomery, Souveniers, Illegal Smile, and 6 O'clock News are all toward the top.

I really just discovered Prine a few years ago (in my 40's). Wish I would have discovered him sooner. I really enjoyed the story of how Prine and Steve Goodman wrote You Never Even Call Me By My Name. Great song and story. This may have already been posted.

A true American treasure - an Army VietNam-era veteran who became one of the greatest songwriters ever (his Martin D-28 needs to be in the Country Music Hall of Fame)! His words put our lives to song. "Hello in There" is especially relevant in our current days of separateness --- hope we all make an effort to reach out to those advanced in age, loved ones or not ...

Last edited:
I’ve had Souvenirs and Angel from Montgomery in my head all day.
John was a songwriter’s songwriter. He was anybody’s songwriter, too, if you listened long enough.

A true American treasure - an Army VietNam veteran who became one of the greatest songwriters ever (his Martin D-28 needs to be in the Country Music Hall of Fame)! His words put our lives to song. "Hello in There" is especially relevant in our current days of separateness --- hope we all make an effort to reach out to those advanced in age, loved ones or not ...

Awesome song! A lot of wisdom in there from a 22 year old song writer at the time. Makes you wonder. Here is a little insight from Prine on the song:

Folk singer-songwriter John Prine explains in a Performing Songwriter interview how this track was sparked from a John Lennon tune and evolved into a poignant song about growing old:

"I heard the John Lennon song 'Across The Universe,' and he had a lot of reverb on his voice. I was thinking about hollering into a hollow log, trying to get through to somebody - 'Hello in there.' That was the beginning thought, then it went to old people

I've always had an affinity for old people. I used to help a buddy with his newspaper route, and I delivered to a Baptist old peoples home where we'd have to go room-to-room. And some of the patients would kind of pretend that you were a grandchild or nephew that had come to visit, instead of the guy delivering papers. That always stuck in my head.

It was all that stuff together, along with that pretty melody. I don't think I've done a show without singing 'Hello in There.' Nothing in it wears on me."

Back