Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fresh Tracks - Sizzle Reel

Looks like you get to show chopped up animals?! Righteous!

Did you bump to an hour per, to have more time for telling stories?

It really isn't about inches, pounds or scores of an animal. You got it right with the name of the old show...."on your own ADVENTURES". May Fresh Tracks continue the quality adventures that OYOA started, but it seems with more pre-hunt story line, and a true reproduction of the hunt. Perfectly framed impact shots, huge quarry taken, and nary a hint of difficulties are a sham on the viewers. Looking forward to the adventure-with-warts continuing.

Looks like you get to show chopped up animals?! Righteous!

Did you bump to an hour per, to have more time for telling stories?

Gonna see lots of chopped up animals, whenever the lighting allowed. Part of the hunt and when we have it captured, we are going to put it on the tube. Can't wait until people see the time lapse of the bison getting chopped into pieces. Way cool.

As far as hour long, that is something I wanted to do as part of this. But, it just hasn't worked out from a time slot idea and business perspective. Still looking into it and I think we can find some solutions in the next year.

Lots of stuff we are working on. What you see this year, will be the building blocks of future years. New ideas, new hunts that improve the story we want, some hunts that we want to do again for the strength of story they provide. Places we want to go for the value of the story provide. Some issues we want to emphasize even more.

A couple examples. This upcoming year, I will be doing an elk hunt for RMEF. It will be primarily for TEAM ELK, but we will bring one of our camera guys along to show how it happens from my perspective. I want to expand the public access message. RMEF has been asking me to do a hunt for them for a few years, using my self-guided public land approach for the episode I do for their show. Now, with our new format, I can make that work for both shows and put heavy emphasis on conservation and preach the importance of public land access. That is a focus for RMEF and works perfectly for our show format. Win-win.

I will be hunting with Steve Rinella from Meateater in Alaska for August Blacktails. It will be primarily for airing on his show, but we will use a lot of it on our show. Then, next year, he will hunt with me on our show and he can use any of it he wants for his show. He and I share some very strong principles about the importance of conservation and how hunters with big platforms should be pushing the conservation agenda. That episode will start to combine our efforts to do that.

No matter how much advance planning we put into it, the hard part of this format is that you go to the hills with no idea of what will happen once the hunt starts. Since we are not editing out anything, what we anticipated would be the story line may be completely changed if something unexpected happens, as almost always is the case in hunting.

Like this year, the first two episodes were NV mule deer and Alaska moose. The expected idea was that we would go there, shoot some great critters. Nope, not what happened. Since we are committed to airing everything that happened, we have to make a story of what happened, whether it makes a good hunt or not. Being committed to telling the entire story, we run the risk that people may not want to see the hunts where things go bad, even if it reflect something that has happened to them in their hunting.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the story of what is happening. Example being in Alaska. We loose one of the big cameras due to rain. I am not pleased. So, now we have to shoot the entire remainder of the hunt from different angles and perspectives than we shot the first seven days. Hard to tell that story with only one remaining camera and hard to explain to the viewer how much that complicated the one good encounter we had.

In that encounter, the remaining big camera is on me and Jerry. The bull comes in and the big camera is filming us and the small camera does not have the proper lens to pick up the moose out there about 200 yards. A lot of time passes before we can get the big camera on the moose and the smaller camera on the hunters. As such, the footage of the encounter sucks. I am very disappointed in myself and the fact that we had to try make due with the camera situation.

A big part of that is my fault. After eight days of hunting, mentally, I was just going through the motions, so I was sure the grunting returns to my calls was just one of the many groups of hunters we had been encountering. So, rather than directing the big camera to be focused on the sound of the grunts, I am visiting with Jerry, relaxed and looking for these other hunters we had heard motor down river and beach their boat nearby.

When the bull shows up, it is chaos. I am sure I am not the only guy who after a week of hard hunting with little results, let his guard down for a few minutes, with those few minutes being the time when some critter shows up unexpectedly. My fault.

But, what can you do at that point? You either cut it out of the footage and act like it didn't happen, or you put it in there to show that all of us have had that happen when we had mentally checked out.

I could go on and on. Point being, we know we are taking a risk with some of the story lines that come with the commitment of showing what really happened, rather than editing to just get the good parts. The goal being, when the season has aired in its entirety, the story of the entire season is stronger than the story of any single episode.

I am giving it all I can to put a really big bow on this package when we are in Alaska next week. No one will hunt harder than we will to accomplish that.

I can tell you I have hunted enough to know when I am not seeing the real story all the time. I appreciate the real deal! I hope the general masses are not as far removed as I'm imaging them to be or they might not appreciate it. Do it anyhow! :cool:

I am sure I am not the only guy who after a week of hard hunting with little results, let his guard down for a few minutes, with those few minutes being the time when some critter shows up unexpectedly. My fault.

Quote for truth right there. I love hunting because it is one of the few things in life that can maintain my attention for long periods of time...the other being cooking. But, I've been busted so many times because I let my guard down that I have to constantly remind myself to stay on point.

I saw the trailer on Facebook. Very nicely done. As I thought about this over the weekend, I think I figured out a way to characterize this show.

Fresh Tracks, like OYOA, is a hunting show. Almost all of the others on TV are animal shooting shows.

you go to the hills with no idea of what will happen once the hunt starts

This sounds great. While I enjoy seeing the kill scenes, there are many shows (that I do not watch) with that. Your shows involve real hunts, with respect for the animal and the country. One of the things I take away from OYOA is the level of effort required.

This is really great work Randy.

Also, looking forward to the marriage episodes - Steven Rinella and Randy Newberg!

Looks like OYOA taken to the next level. I really like the idea that it is a start to finish season, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I really hope you show season and hunt planning more. I would also like to see more field care after the kill. On thing I don't like about most shows is that after the break they spend a minute on what just took place right before the break. That is about five minutes that could be used to tell more of the story. Anyway, looking forward to it and the meat eater episode.

Fresh Tracks Sizzles

Randy...AND Crew!
I'm always thrilled to watch your product! Hard work coupled with talent = GREAT STUFF!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back