Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Former Vegan ailed by AOH (Adult Onset Hunting)

Your right, completely different rifles. The difference is the Axis II is an Axis with an accu trigger.

I don't think a new shooter and hunter will know the difference in the sub models of rifles from one manufacturer at first glance. Just making sure he has his facts are straight, since I happen to own an Axis and hated the stock trigger until I was able to find a lighter tigger spring. And I do like the accu trigger in my Savage 110 which is another inexpensive rifle.

Not trying to bruise your ego or start anything with you, just giving a man facts from my own experience.

S'all good. I spent most of my adult life shooting a M16/M4 with crap stiff triggers, so I don't mind the trigger on my old regular Axis. I didn't think a new shooter would tell the difference and be ok with whatever he learned on. :)

I would take the trigger of any one of my old M16's to the one on my axis. But, was able to buy a different trigger spring on Amazon last year and it now fires like a decent gun should. I agree with you that a new shooter wouldn't be able to tell and certainly won't know how much of an effect the trigger can have on accuracy. That's why he asked Q's and we are helping to hash it out.

How about we start talking about the best caliber next? ;)

I would take the trigger of any one of my old M16's to the one on my axis. But, was able to buy a different trigger spring on Amazon last year and it now fires like a decent gun should. I agree with you that a new shooter wouldn't be able to tell and certainly won't know how much of an effect the trigger can have on accuracy. That's why he asked Q's and we are helping to hash it out.

How about we start talking about the best caliber next? ;)

I would love to have a beer with you around a campfire...lol

I see pretty quickly that gun talk can get pretty specific! It's all very interesting and when I get ready to buy some firearms I'll definitely refer back to this post as well as ask some more directed questions.

Goatshoes made a pretty good point about most folks cutting their teeth on small game, well I failed to mention earlier that that is what I did right after Christmas 2015. I threw on the snow shoes (while visiting family in Durango, CO) and went out with the .22 air rifle and brought a rabbit back home. We froze it and had it while on the road towards Big Bend national park in January. It was a fantastic experience and a great intro into the experience of taking a sentient being. I have a feeling big game will have a much more intense feel.

MinnesotaHunter, thanks for the great suggestions on footwear and a pack. I'm planning to source some Kenetrek, Lowa, or similar. I have my backpacking pack that I've been getting exercise with lately but is there anything extra special about a hunting specific pack that can't be replicated on a typical backpackers pack? Also, thanks for the recommendations on bigger organizations to look into. I've heard a few podcasts with Randy as well as the Meateater podcast with interviews from BHA, TRCP, and RMEF - they all seem like fantastic folks to support.

I'm a little intimidated to speak with the biologists at the local CPW office - I feel like I still don't know enough to have the right types of questions. I get that this is a catch 22, as that's the only way I'll become more knowledgeable, it's just hard for me.

I just received the leftover draw list for Elk, since I didn't draw. I'm looking forward to doing some research and finding a good unit in the leftovers. We'll see!

Cheers,
Mick

Check out some video reviews for Mystery Ranch or Kifaru or other hunting specific packs and you'll see some of the differences in hunting packs. The Gritty Bowman is another podcast series that often has great gear information.

Welcome to the site Boxermick. I'm an adult onset hunter as well. I could never last more than a few days meatless without feeling exhausted, so, hunting has become a way to face head on the paradox of a love for animals and being a meat eater. Best of luck in the field this fall.

I'm a little intimidated to speak with the biologists at the local CPW office - I feel like I still don't know enough to have the right types of questions. I get that this is a catch 22, as that's the only way I'll become more knowledgeable, it's just hard for me.

Don't be, I've talked to several biologists in three different states and they've all been helpful. I'm sure there's a few bad apples out there, but I think as long as you show that you've done a bit of research, and are looking to learn more at a macro level they are willing to help. The guy that calls and asks where can I kill a big buck/bull at is not going to get good results. The guy who calls and asks about some general points on the map, maybe that is a couple of peaks, or a couple of creek drainages, or other geographic feature and shows that they have spent some time looking at maps will get much better answers.

With respect to elk and your late rifle hunt referencing the discussion points in Randy's videos would be helpful too. Look at a map, identify the animals needs and find some of those spots that look good and then talk to the bio.

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum. Since this in an intro thread I'll do the research on the future questions Im sure to have and start a more specific thread If I can't find the answers. I know I'll have a community to bounce ideas of off and get some insight. Again, thank you all for the encouragement and the stories from the other AOH's, it's all good to hear.

Cheers,
Mick

Most of these guys and ladies are more than happy to help you out with info. Whether you're going to talk to them on the phone or in person make sure you have some good topo maps of the areas you are interested in. I have found that often they can be very specific when giving you locations of herds or animals seen recently or springs and waterholes that may not be on the map

If you're going to start eating meat, you are doing it right. Organic, free range, hormone injection free, steroid free, lean meat.
Your cat may be onto something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back