Caribou Gear Tarp

Former Vegan ailed by AOH (Adult Onset Hunting)

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I have a good friend who is vegeatarian and has no problem with our hunting because she knows we eat everything we hunt. Even being a vegetarian she does enjoy the elk chili or elk italian sausage we sometimes serve at our parties.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here willing to give you info to help you along the learning proccess. There are a few sour grapes too but for the most part a bunch of good people.

Welcome to the site. I find it very refreshing and encouraging to see AOH and "non-traditional" type hunters becoming part of this community. I wish you the best of luck this fall . The learning curve is steep, but there is a wealth of information here that will help flatten it out drastically.

Welcome Boxermick, Sorry, I don't know anything about where you're hunting. Randy, Thanks. One of many reasons I continue to frequent this site.

Hi. My name is Corax and I am an Adult Onset Hunter (plus a few other acronyms).

Welcome to the site, Boxermick. I taught myself to hunt from books while living in New Jersey, so you are off to a lot better start than I was. While I enjoy stalking and occasionally taking deer and elk with antlers, most of my hunting has been either does (NJ) or cow elk (western states). In my view, one of the great pieces of good fortune in my life is being able to eat elk whenever I want to.

You have come to the right place.

Welcome from another AOH! I didn't start hunting until my now husband encouraged me to try it. Now I can't remember life before hunting. It has brought me an appreciation of quality protein, a sense of accomplishment in being able to feed myself and my family, and some of the greatest memories of my life. I hope it gives you the same satisfaction.

There are a few real foodies on here who share some great pointers and recipes for cooking wild game. Don't be shy with questions. ;)

Hey everyone, I'm thankful for all the encouragement, I can already tell I'm going to enjoy being a part of a great community. I can understand that I might be indimidatimg to some folks as I don't fit the traditional mold, but that's what I love about hunting - it's a shared heritage that all can relate to, no matter your past.

To speak to the transient comment, it's true, we've had a chance to travel our great country and its been amazing for my wife and I, and our kids have been blown away. We have been truly blessed, as my business allows me to travel while still being able to earn an income. If there is any chance you could become transients with your kids - I'd highly recommend it! We have been traveling for over 13 months and are headed back home tomorrow, where a chest freezer and a hunting preparation plan await.

I have read many many books on the subject, including all 5 of Steven Rinellas books. I practically use the complete guide to hunting as a text book - pouring over the pages armed with a highlighter. I've also read some of the classics - "A Sand County Almanac","The Elk Hunter", "All about elk", and "To heck with Elk hunting". They've all contributed heavily my hunting fever. Next in the queu is O'Connors "The art of hunting Big Game in North America". I've read a few BLM scientific papers on pronghorn and habitat but would love to read something slightly more palatable to a laymen like myself. Any species specific books you might recommend?

As for units, I drew muzzleloader pronghorn for unit 69 (which includes 84, 85, 86, 691, 861). I realize these may not be the best units but I have lots of time for scouting and hunting, and am very dedicated. I also drew it as my fourth choice!

For Mule deer I was able to draw my first choice - Second rifle (10/22-10/30) unit 33. I'll be hunting with my father in law and brother in law so I should learn a lot more in this hunt than I could by just going out on my own. I also plan to get a concurrent bear tag with this license if I can, and I'll be studying up on how to identify boars as I wouldn't want to take a sow.

Here is a quick list of the gear (used from eBay!) that I've garnered over the past few months:
OnXmaps App for iPhone (so useful!!!)
Leupold Mojave 10x42 binos with S4 Gear Lockdown harness
Leupold RX2 rangefinder
Minox MD50W 15-30x50 angled spotting scope (great size for backpack hunting)
Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 rifle scope
Gerber Gator and scalpel knives
Champion pivot traverse bipod
Kifaru gun bearer
Borrowed muzzleloader and rifle.
And a few other things... Like I said, I'm hooked. I need boots, but anything else you can think that would help a newbie?

Thanks again for all the wisdom found here - and for everyone sticking up for oddballs like me - I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mick

Small piece of advice - when you get your boots also get the best quality and fitting socks you can find. They'll last and make a difference to your comfort.

Great thread OP has the right idea. Wish you luck. Wish you good hunting. In my experience luck and good hunting go hand in hand. You are ready, Do it.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!! When you go to buy your own guns, you don't have to break the bank, no matter what a lot of people will tell you. You don't need to spend $1000 on a rifle for it to be accurate and functional. I bought my wife's Ruger American for around $350 and it is an excellent entry level rifle that has a trigger like the accu-trigger, an excellent recoil pad set up, and is very accurate. Since you already have a scope you don't need to get the package like I did with my 30-06. The Savage Axis is also a good entry level rifle for around $350, but you don't get the accu-trigger. You don't get all of the bells and whistles of an expensive rifle and the stocks may not be as great, but I own both and they are accurate and reliable. I would suggest a .308 or 30-06. Both will kill anything you'll find in Colorado and ammo is easy to find with a lot of variety of bullet types and weights in factory ammo. As for a muzzleloader, a CVA wolf will get the job done for around $250. It's not the top of the line or stainless barrel and all of that that people tout about with the expensive rifles, but my wife has one and can shoot almost cloverleafs at 100 yards after I installed Tru-glo ghost ring sights ($35 on Amazon). Like I said, guys will tell you these guns aren't sufficient and aren't good enough and whatnot, but they are functional and reliable, and accurate, and don't break the bank to get you started. I am telling you all of this from my own personal experience starting out as a new Western hunter after moving here in 2006 when I retired from the Army and moved from Upstate NY. I hope this helps and doesn't start some sort of argument among the guys who swear by expensive guns or different calibers.

Hey, welcome, mick. I used to live in Durango. It's a wonderful spot to be if you want to hunt. You're very fortunate in that regard. Enjoy the process of learning and experiencing the awesome country in your backyard.

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like you're well on your way to learning. Just keep at it!

Cush is not correct, the new Savage Axis post 2013ish model has an accu trigger. However, the stock is a little whippy. The Savage 110 trophy Hunter with a scope, wood stock, and accu trigger is also a good choice for under $500. Welcome and good luck.

Echoing everyone's welcome to the site.

Even though I am a born and raised Montanan whose hunted since I could walk - when I went to college on the West Coast in the mid-nineties - I learned very quickly that not all people hunt or share a common knowledge of food acquisition. It is amazing how difficult it can be to break the mold of the environment you were raised/educated in.

Good luck - I look forward to your posts.

This is a funny thread. Man goes from Vegan to full immersion big game hunter complete with antelope, deer and bear tag all in his first season. My guess is that most of us first cut our teeth on rabbits, squirrels, ducks and other small game. Well, like BoxerMick said, " I don't fit the traditional mold." Indeed.

I congratulate you in your conversion, however you arrived at it. Good luck. When your done, make some time to take and eat some of the less glamorous but equally tasty critters that you will be flushing on your hunt, and please pass the opportunity on to your children.

P.S. Put a handful of miles on your new boots (break them in) before you put them on for a full day afield.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are well on your way! As for your gear list, boots probably have the greatest potential to make or break your hunt. If you have $ to spend yet, spend it there. The next place would be a pack.

Regarding hunt prep, it sounds like you will be fairly close to your hunt areas, so I would spend as much time out there observing your quarry, and just enjoying your time as possible! Learning your units will help you understand how the animals move around on the land. Consider taking the family on a hiking/fishing weekend up in your elk unit. As for reading material, try and find some books less focused on hunting, and more the biology of the animals you intend to hunt. A thorough understanding of the animal always helps.

Also, get in touch with your local conservation officers and wildlife biologists, they are a wealth of knowledge. You just need to remember that many people call them, and they give the same advice to everyone, so focus your questions on animal behavior rather than specific areas to hunt (because a lot of people will be heading there;)).

Last, get involved with your local chapters of some conservation organizations: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, local rod and gun club, etc. You will meet some great people, and you might even find some local hunting mentors, who would be glad to help you along. It never hurts to have some backup when you have an elk on the ground.....

Welcome aboard! I cant think of a better site for a new adult hunter to gain knowledge from. We are a pretty diverse group in all aspects. If you have a question or need advice, someone on this board will surely lead you in the right direction.

Back