food plot

jordan

What do you think the deer like to eat the best? I Was thinking of putting in some sorgum, wheat, corn and turnips. What do you guys think?

think you need to see what's in the area you want to hunt, and don't plant that. food plots should be a treat for the deer.

They love soybeans in SW NoDak, because no one raises them. Bad part is they don't last until rifle season. Kinda like Christmas cookies at our house...

It depends on when you want to be hunting over them. Tough to beat turnip and winter wheat fields in December. Of course having standing corn in late season can be money if its down everywhere else in your area. White clover is awesome for early archery.

Since your in Iowa, I'd do a search for a guy that posts named Lick Creek. He posts often on QDMA forums and/or an Iowa forum. He's provided LOTS and LOTS of info! That said, I'd probably focus on late season foods. Standing corn/soybeans can work well, but require quite a bit of acreage and are pretty expensive. If smaller plots brassicas may be a good bet, but deer every where don't seem to like that. Gotta experiment.

Yeah, just what I was thinking. Kind of defeats the OYO philosophy.
How so? Just cause one is hunting a critter over a food source makes it less? What about guys shooting ducks/geese out of grain fields? Deer, elk, pronghorn out of alfalfa? I'm glad to see you were determined to the 'enforcer of the OYO philosophy! The guy that owns/runs this place doesn't seem to have a problem with it, at least he hasn't in the past, why do you feel it's against his companies philosophy? Oh, I forgot, your's way/hunting is "better" than mine, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what crop would be good/bad for your area but if I was in your situation I would contact your local fish and game dept and see what they would have as input. I would also contact your Soil Conservation Service as they can tell you what will be compatible with the soil/moisture in your area. It is not that expensive to get your soil tested and no matter what I planted it is well worth knowing what you have.

Depending on the size of area you intend to use - you may want to experiment with a number of "strip" crops for the initial planting.

PS: with the snow/cold we have had this year - it was not a good idea to plant a 250 tree snow belt in the past. Let's just say that the wife is not happy with the deer damage and leave it at that..

Last edited:
WT deer grow just fine AND large AND gnarly on the diet the wonderful Midwest farmers plant and rotate out each season! Furthermore, imo, you do not need an institute or QDMA group recommending you anything either!

What WT sub species are you going after there son? How many trail cameras are you going to run on your plot? Kidding of course.

Plant a tree, develop a tree row and develop your cover. Save your money, build a small pond believe you were interested in waterfowl?) and you can hunt ducks and bucks.

Whitetail topics are always good sanctimony fertilizer.

Endearing third post 'manybulets'.

I'm with spook. how so hunterme?

Yeah, just what I was thinking. Kind of defeats the OYO philosophy.

and how does it do that? aren't you doing the hunting yourself? aren't you planting the food plot yourself? aren't you getting the deer yourself? the only thing that defeats the OYO philosophy, is narrow minded thinking about what is and what isn't OYO.

WT deer grow just fine AND large AND gnarly on the diet the wonderful Midwest farmers plant and rotate out each season! Furthermore, imo, you do not need an institute or QDMA group recommending you anything either!

What WT sub species are you going after there son? How many trail cameras are you going to run on your plot? Kidding of course.

Plant a tree, develop a tree row and develop your cover. Save your money, build a small pond believe you were interested in waterfowl?) and you can hunt ducks and bucks.

guessing you have no idea about food plots. they are not to make deer bigger. they are planted to get the deer to come to a certain area. they are planted to give deer a good food source during the brutal winter months in these areas.

only one game cam is put on the plot. the rest are put around the area trying to determine which way the deer are coming from to get to the food plot.

going to take some pictures this spring/summer so the holier than tho crowd from the west can tell us midwesterners how to hunt the areas we grew up in. will be a lot of green to look at.

guessing you have no idea about food plots. they are not to make deer bigger. they are planted to get the deer to come to a certain area. they are planted to give deer a good food source during the brutal winter months in these areas.

only one game cam is put on the plot. the rest are put around the area trying to determine which way the deer are coming from to get to the food plot.

going to take some pictures this spring/summer so the holier than tho crowd from the west can tell us midwesterners how to hunt the areas we grew up in. will be a lot of green to look at.

Yep! You nailed it!

Shoot me an aerial of your plot, and what cameras you are runnin' TLC - can give you my introductory price & recommendation.

Shoot me an aerial of your plot, and what cameras you are runnin' TLC - can give you my introductory price & recommendation.

You have plenty of Colorado customers putm.;) Co outfitters are using game cam pics to market private land hunts. They'll be plenty of em at SCI Dallas this weekend.

Here in SC, most landowners who hunt, also farm for deer. I myself, plant an average of 5 to 7 food plots on the 78 acres of my family land where I still hunt out of tree stands, tower blinds, and ground blinds. I also have 5 trail cameras out so that I can see how many does, fawns and bucks are utilizing the plots. This provides me a year round way to keep tabs on what deer I have on the property.....including the cruising bucks during the rut stages.

Now, as to what to plant, I'd recommend checking at the local feed and seed store to find out what other people have planted and had the most success with in your area. I, myself, stay away from the national brands and go with locally grown seed and plant crops that have been proven over the years to be great attractants for the deer and turkeys in my area. I also plant in strips with crops that have different maturity times, so that there is always a green crop in the plot. Also, I usually plant spring/summer crops and then fall/winter, so that I can provide essential growth foods during fawning and growing season and then attractant plots for hunting season that will also keep providing some food sources over the winter, after the season ends.

As an example, my spring/summer plots usually consist of sorghum, soybeans, oats, and sunflowers; while my fall/winter plots have naked oats, Austrian winter peas, and turnips. I'd like to experiment with alfalfa, but it's not a crop that's grown in this part of the country, normally. I would also mention that a soil test is an absolute necessity prior to planting anything.

Planting food plots and studying trail camera pictures can be addictive, so be warned ahead of time; then be prepared to enjoy the results during your hunting season. The hard work of farming for deer can be very rewarding..........I put 9 deer in the freezer this past season, and 8 of them came as a result of hunting my food plots and my brother and nephew managed to take two more off of the same plots on this small acreage that is all pine plantation except for the approximately 2 1/2 acres of food plots scattered around the property.

I know it - its nuts. My apologies. Plot and cam away. Guess I love the idea of scouting, walking a tree line, hedge row, finding beds, rubs, the trails they use, re-creating the scene, planning out a position and being in the woods period.

Anyway - you plan on attending SCI? How close are you to Dallas noharley?
AND, what do you boys think of the new hire @ UT!
Strong was a great choice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back