Healthy bread; What is there?

I've worked in corporate, and, trust me, they aren't that smart.
I'm not sure why we should trust you since you say you were on their team. :)

Seriously though, people don't have to be smart unless you think everyone who makes money is smart.

Whole wheat vs wheat is pretty much the same thing. Most store bought breads are pretty bad for you. I'd go with a sourdough from a local bakery. Sourdough is lower in gluten than other breads and uses a different type of yeast (lactobacilli I think) that is easier to digest.

Bobby Kennedy is running on this as part of his platform; Big Food is poisoning America, which is unquestionably true. Although I think the Pharma/Food conspiracy is a stretch. I've worked in corporate, and, trust me, they aren't that smart.
Could be a stretch. But it definitely is a mutually beneficial situation that none of the folks involved are interested in making more quality options to help us be healthier. Fact is most of the population doesn't think there's anything wrong with the standard American diet nowadays.

Back to wheat. The one thing you can do right away is not buy bread, flour, tortillas etc that have "enriched" wheat in them. Enriched means they sprayed liquid folic acid on the wheat. Just an easy way to cut out one thing. Others have mention einkorn and that's a great one too. You can order products that are more health conscious (chemicals not calories) like pasta made from einkorn from Azure.

Whole wheat vs wheat is pretty much the same thing. Most store bought breads are pretty bad for you. I'd go with a sourdough from a local bakery. Sourdough is lower in gluten than other breads and uses a different type of yeast (lactobacilli I think) that is easier to digest.
Very true. Especially if you do a long ferment with a higher protien/lower gluten flour, there can be so little gluten folks with Celiacs can eat it. The longer the ferment the less gluten.

Be careful buying "sourdough" from places like Martin's. Alot of places like that don't make sourdough they make sourdough style bread that they used dry yeast to make it quickly and it never fermented. True sourdough uses a live starter and is given time to ferment before baking.

Sourdough actually has all the nutrients you need to stay alive just eating that. It made me realize how when they broke bread and Jesus spoke of his daily bread, they really did just eat bread alot of the times. I always thought that was crazy, and if it was modern wonderbread it would be.

I would avoid bread at breakfast, no need to spike your blood sugar first thing in the day. Carbs are good for quick energy, so plan your carb intake accordingly.

I recently got completely off bread, which was rough given the amount of sandwiches I used to eat.

I went with the Mission Carb friendly wheat tortillas. Only 5 net carbs and to be honest I don’t miss the bread now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back