Healthy bread; What is there?

Uncrustables are arguably the greatest hunting food made. They have enough air in the package to keep them from getting crushed in your pack. Taste awesome. And most gas stations have them.

I’ve shot a buck with a bite of Uncrustables still in my mouth. I’ve also missed a deer, used and Uncrustables to rebuild my mental state, stayed on stand, and later killed a deer.
Strawberry or grape?

Costco combo pack bro. Why choose when you can have both?

But strawberry if I had to choose one.
They’re so good it’s easy to lose count how many have been consumed in a day. Especially with a Costco box.

I could suggest a course in biochemistry, but it would be a waste of time.

They’re so good it’s easy to lose count how many have been consumed in a day. Especially with a Costco box.
I did a 15 hour all day sit a couple seasons ago. Prime rut, best stand on the property. Saw zero deer.

BUT I had 6 Uncrustables and 2 Tear and Share Peanut M&Ms in my pack. I think that was my record day for both.

I could suggest a course in biochemistry, but it would be a waste of time.
I took one as part of my unused biology degree. It was kinda fun. So I guess I’ll pitch in here.

The bread we eat is not the bread our ancestors ate. The flour we make it with is not the same. Neither is the water.

Our flour starts with wheat treated with anti-fungals to improve long term storage. Then during grinding, the bran and germ is stripped away to leave white flour. After, it’s mixed with sugar, chlorinated water, and copious amounts of pure yeast, to rise in the space of a couple hours. Instead of no sugar, unchlorinated water, and a complex, diverse mix of yeast and bacteria to ferment over the course of a day.

Some of this was a necessary evil- I’d rather not starve to death, or have dysentery at every turn, or go into mycotoxic shock, so I get it. But it takes a toll, as we’re either killing off our gut bacteria, or allowing the bulk of the fermentation that used to happen on the counter to happen in our guts. Not to mention the nutritional quality being so vastly reduced from the lack of diverse fermentation species that produce a number of vitamins.

Europeans eat a boatload of bread, yet they don’t have the health issues Americans have. You want to have healthy bread? Sourdough (the real stuff) is a good start- just cut out the shelf stable crap that you’ll never get anything to grow on. Because you have to remember- there are more cells of bacteria in you that help digest your food, than there are total cells of YOU. So try not to kill off the little bastards at every turn?

Last edited:
I'm older now than I want to admit. Having looked into healthy bread - with the exception of reading this entire thread - I settled on getting organic wheat berries (red wheat), and dry canning it until use. Most of the garbage in wheat is from preservatives, IMO.

That being said, at my age, I don't need a lot of carbs at all. So, I shelved the whole grain thing, and very rarely eat them at all. Super low carbs for this grandpa.

Have fun. I don't miss them at any level. Give me a steak for dinner, thanks. I'll be happy most of the next day, too.

I took one as part of my unused biology degree. It was kinda fun.

So I guess I’ll pitch in here. The bread we eat is not the bread our ancestors ate. The flour we make it with is not the same. Neither is the water.

Our flour starts with wheat treated with anti-fungals to improve long term storage. Then during grinding, the bran and germ is stripped away to leave white flour. After, it’s mixed with sugar, chlorinated water, and copious amounts of pure yeast, to rise in the space of a couple hours. Instead of no sugar, unchlorinated water, and a complex, diverse mix of yeast and bacteria to ferment over the course of a day.

Some of this was a necessary evil- I’d rather not starve to death, or have dysentery at every turn, or go into mycotoxic shock, so I get it. But it takes a toll, as we’re either killing off our gut bacteria, or allowing the bulk of the fermentation that used to happen on the counter to happen in our guts. Not to mention the nutritional quality being so vastly reduced from the lack of diverse fermentation species that produce a number of vitamins.

Europeans eat a boatload of bread, yet they don’t have the health issues Americans have. You want to have healthy bread? Sourdough (the real stuff) is a good start- just cut out the shelf stable cap that you’ll never get anything to grow on. Because you have to remember- there are more cells of bacteria in you that help digest your food, than there are total cells of YOU. So try not to kill off the little bastards at every turn?
I was referring to protein metabolism, but that is a good discussion.
There are several places that use whole grains, Great Harvest Bread among them; my daughter worked there, and they grind the whole berry.
I think the problem is in the field, rather than howing weeds as my Mom's family did as farmers in the 1900s, now everything is treated/sprayed.
It is a conundrum, though; we feed the world, do we let folks starve rather than use the pesticides/fertilizers as we do?
Bill Gates and Al Gore would likely say yes.
And no more flatulent cattle either.
Eat ze bugs, I guess.

I took one as part of my unused biology degree. It was kinda fun.

So I guess I’ll pitch in here. The bread we eat is not the bread our ancestors ate. The flour we make it with is not the same. Neither is the water.

Europeans eat a boatload of bread, yet they don’t have the health issues Americans have. You want to have healthy bread? Sourdough (the real stuff) is a good start- just cut out the shelf stable cap that you’ll never get anything to grow on. Because you have to remember- there are more cells of bacteria in you that help digest your food, than there are total cells of YOU. So try not to kill off the little bastards at every turn?
Great post. This garbage show up in near about everything the US calls "food". Please, for God's sake, turn back the eating in your life about 150 years. You'll be glad.

So lots of joking around and opinions on here. But also lots of great information.

Humans are complex and what is good for one isn’t good for another. My wife can’t eat gluten. I can. My friend is allergic to red meat. Not me. So a diet rich in whole wheat would not be ideal for my wife and a red meat carnivore diet would kill my friend.

A lot of what is “healthy” depends on you and your needs. No matter how you slice it (see what I did there?), bread is a highly processed food. Even “whole grain” bread is processed. You literally mill it down to a powder, mix it with other things, shape it into a form, then cook it. For some people that is an issue, for others not at all. Bread is to a whole grain what a hot dog is to a pork chop.

When we learned of my wife’s problem with gluten, we went the alternative bread/cardboard route for awhile but eventually decided to save our money and calories and moved away from bread and bread-like foods and replaced that with veggies, fruits, and yes more meats. Our overall health improved. We still do bread sometimes as a treat (Uncrustables during deer season or bread on the table at a nice dinner out).

We have been experimenting with old method sourdough and ancient grains. There is a local baker who has a 100+ year old sourdough starter that has been passed down by his family. And he mills his own grain in-house and has a 100% einkorn wheat loaf. We have found that my wife handles that very well and I’ve found it digests well for me. I’ve in the last year started playing around with long cold fermented einkorn bread at home and have had similarly good results. Although it definitely behaves differently than “traditional” (which is actually modern) wheat.

So to the OP, you need to narrow in on what “healthy” means to you and then take it from there. I’d also like to personally thank you for starting the best Lightning Rod Thread of 2024 (so far).

So lots of joking around and opinions on here. But also lots of great information.

Humans are complex and what is good for one isn’t good for another. My wife can’t eat gluten. I can. My friend is allergic to red meat. Not me. So a diet rich in whole wheat would not be ideal for my wife and a red meat carnivore diet would kill my friend.

A lot of what is “healthy” depends on you and your needs. No matter how you slice it (see what I did there?), bread is a highly processed food. Even “whole grain” bread is processed. You literally mill it down to a powder, mix it with other things, shape it into a form, then cook it. For some people that is an issue, for others not at all. Bread is to a whole grain what a hot dog is to a pork chop.

When we learned of my wife’s problem with gluten, we went the alternative bread/cardboard route for awhile but eventually decided to save our money and calories and moved away from bread and bread-like foods and replaced that with veggies, fruits, and yes more meats. Our overall health improved. We still do bread sometimes as a treat (Uncrustables during deer season or bread on the table at a nice dinner out).

We have been experimenting with old method sourdough and ancient grains. There is a local baker who has a 100+ year old sourdough starter that has been passed down by his family. And he mills his own grain in-house and has a 100% einkorn wheat loaf. We have found that my wife handles that very well and I’ve found it digests well for me. I’ve in the last year started playing around with long cold fermented einkorn bread at home and have had similarly good results. Although it definitely behaves differently than “traditional” (which is actually modern) wheat.

So to the OP, you need to narrow in on what “healthy” means to you and then take it from there. I’d also like to personally thank you for starting the best Lightning Rod Thread of 2024 (so far).
After lots of research (not just fakebook) I went almost totally carnivore. I'm down more than I have been in four years. Plus, it tastes good.

Zero supplements. Zero medications. I'm 56 and healthy as ever. Look up Shawn Baker on YouTube.

Edit: actually I should say, I have eaten things other than "red meat." Like sardines, salmon, clams, etc. But, nothing other than meat and eggs.
Close to same diet. Heart attack at 45 and proud owner of two stents.

Changing yer diet is tough when yer set in your ways.

I’m going to argue that modern bread is to wheat what tofu hot dogs are to pork chops, but traditional bread is more like pork sausage compared to pork chops.

Changing form isn’t an issue. Adding “preservatives” (antimicrobials) or stripping away all of the nutrients is.

White flour is so nutritionally deficient that it caused mass malnutrition (specifically pellagra), and “fortified” flour was the solution industry came up with. Essentially, add back everything in chemical form that was originally there in whole wheat.

Real bread has 3 and only 3 ingredients. Flour, water, salt (starter is just flour/water with active bacteria). My wife has been making sourdough bread at home for a few years. In the last few months she'd had stomach pains and issues. We've refined our diet more and now eat just whole real foods. Raw unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized eggs too from a neighbor, meat from a cow from a farm just down the road that ate grass, she changed our flour to Kamut (non gmo and glysophate free), cut out ALL seed oils and processed foods. She is better now. Her and I have our best bloodwork we've had maybe ever. It's showing in our health.

Making your own bread is a big deal and cutting out all processed foods and seed oils/chemicals will make a huge difference in your health. It's no coincidence america suffers from an epidemic of cancer, and other diseases. Food is in cahoots with pharma, its all about money. They cant make money off healthy people. Make yourself hard to kill and live a healthy life. Or not. It's up to you.

If you do want to make your own sourdough, my wife just told me she'd mail you dehydrated starter to get you started for free. PM me if your interested.

There's so much more too. For example cyanocabalomin. It's synthetic b12 that actually strips out more nutrients from your cells than it provides. It depletes your body more than before you took it. It's in most cheap vitamins. But wait why would that be in something that's supposed to make you healthier? Go check your vitamins, if they are quality and helping your body, they won't have that. They'll have a methylated version of B12. Same for Folic acid, chemical garbage. Good vitamins have folate. Generally a good vitamin most everything will be the useful bioavailable version/methylated.

It's eye opening once you start figuring things out.

Real bread has 3 and only 3 ingredients. Flour, water, salt (starter is just flour/water with active bacteria). My wife has been making sourdough bread at home for a few years. In the last few months she'd had stomach pains and issues. We've refined our diet more and now eat just whole real foods. Raw unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized eggs too from a neighbor, meat from a cow from a farm just down the road that ate grass, she changed our flour to Kamut (non gmo and glysophate free), cut out ALL seed oils and processed foods. She is better now. Her and I have our best bloodwork we've had maybe ever. It's showing in our health.

Making your own bread is a big deal and cutting out all processed foods and seed oils/chemicals will make a huge difference in your health. It's no coincidence america suffers from an epidemic of cancer, and other diseases. Food is in cahoots with pharma, its all about money. They cant make money off healthy people. Make yourself hard to kill and live a healthy life. Or not. It's up to you.

If you do want to make your own sourdough, my wife just told me she'd mail you dehydrated starter to get you started for free. PM me if your interested.
Bobby Kennedy is running on this as part of his platform; Big Food is poisoning America, which is unquestionably true. Although I think the Pharma/Food conspiracy is a stretch. I've worked in corporate, and, trust me, they aren't that smart.

Great Harvest grinds the whole berry; my daughter worked there, so certain of that. They do add honey to their whole wheat. But honey has been around forever. In tombs of the ancient Kings.

You can cut out all the bread you like. I will continue to enjoy my toasted sourdough with cream cheese, smoked elk, and a dab of huckleberry sauce. 😋😋😋😋😋😋
IMG_3894.jpeg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back