Flatlander's First Elk Tag: CO 49

poster1

Hello all!

Wanted to introduce myself on here first. I'm from the IL burbs and have grown up hunting in the driftless area of SW WI, primarily for whitetails and turks. I absolutely love the outdoors and the lessons, comradery, and memories it can foster, and have especially enjoyed the process of being able to provide wild game for my family and I.

Years ago, my dad used to do a bunch of western hunts (muley, elk, bighorn, and speed goats), but gave it up for a while to focus on the family. Since then, I have had a growing obsession of the west for a few years now and finally got my dad to get back in the game. Last year he drew a Colorado unit 49 elk muzzleloader tag. I joined him last Sept and we had an awesome hunt, seeing a bunch of really nice bulls; he had the safety off different 7 times, and ultimately ended up missing on 2 shot opportunities. Despite not filling the the tag, we both had an incredible time and the memories made 100% made it a successful hunt in both our eyes. We immediately knew that this was something we need to do together as often as we can going forward.

This year, I was fortunate enough to draw the archery tag in the same CO 49 unit; my dad and younger brother will be joining me and I do not think I could be more excited! I wanted to reach out to you all to see if I could hear more about other's experiences who have been there. We have somewhat of a decent grasp of the unit already, and had some great experiences to learn from and take into this year, but obviously it's such a huge unit and there's so much to learn so I'm just looking to accelerate the learning curve by talking with others who have had boots on the ground also. We are planning on driving out and spending about 10 days in the 2nd half of Sept.

Any stories, photos, info, or PMs would be much appreciated, if for no other reason than to get us more fired up for September! Appreciate your consideration and looking forward to interreacting with you all and maybe seeing you on a mountain someday!

PO

If you've already hunted the unit that is probably better intel than anything someone online will tell you. My advice would be to remember each year is different so have some new spots in case elk aren't where you found them last year.

If you've already hunted the unit that is probably better intel than anything someone online will tell you. My advice would be to remember each year is different so have some new spots in case elk aren't where you found them last year.
Right totally agree! Just wanted to see if others had been successful there or had any good stories.

PO,

My name is Dan and I am currently flying with the Coast Guard out of OR- originally from Waukegan, IL and Kenosha/Ontario, WI. I’m also heading out with my ol man, unit 49 2nd season Elk . I'm looking for what you are looking for! Stories, access, water questions...Thanks! Dan 904-470-0008

Good luck. I agree your previous experience is the best thing going. Archery and muzzle loaders are so similar I’d head right back to where you had your opportunity last time. As said above, have those plan B and Cs planned out before you get there

I agree with above. You guys were on elk. Go back to those areas. Also with bow tag, it will be deciding which week to go. I was there in mz last yr. Pretty quite and Hot! If going bow, I d probably go 3rd week , during week and not weekend. So dont deal with cycle traffic/or additional local hunters. Or even last week.

Looks like you will be between 8,000 and 10,000'. As a flatlander you need to drink massive amounts of water from the minute you leave home. Don't forget advil or Tylenol. I have seen multiple people brought to their knees by altitude sickness. Spend the next 2 months working on cardio and lung capacity. It usually takes 2 or 3 days to climatize so getting there before you plan to hunt can help mitigate. Good luck!!

Water is easy to find in 49 so no issues there. The elk use the high altitude wilderness areas until the weather pushes them down. I was surprised by the recreational traffic on some of the main roads - joy riding side by sides. I also was surprised the neighboring town hotels will be slammed on the weekends- so if you plan to spend days ahead of your hunt in town to get acclimated to altitude make reservations.

Hello all!

Wanted to introduce myself on here first. I'm from the IL burbs and have grown up hunting in the driftless area of SW WI, primarily for whitetails and turks. I absolutely love the outdoors and the lessons, comradery, and memories it can foster, and have especially enjoyed the process of being able to provide wild game for my family and I.

Years ago, my dad used to do a bunch of western hunts (muley, elk, bighorn, and speed goats), but gave it up for a while to focus on the family. Since then, I have had a growing obsession of the west for a few years now and finally got my dad to get back in the game. Last year he drew a Colorado unit 49 elk muzzleloader tag. I joined him last Sept and we had an awesome hunt, seeing a bunch of really nice bulls; he had the safety off different 7 times, and ultimately ended up missing on 2 shot opportunities. Despite not filling the the tag, we both had an incredible time and the memories made 100% made it a successful hunt in both our eyes. We immediately knew that this was something we need to do together as often as we can going forward.

This year, I was fortunate enough to draw the archery tag in the same CO 49 unit; my dad and younger brother will be joining me and I do not think I could be more excited! I wanted to reach out to you all to see if I could hear more about other's experiences who have been there. We have somewhat of a decent grasp of the unit already, and had some great experiences to learn from and take into this year, but obviously it's such a huge unit and there's so much to learn so I'm just looking to accelerate the learning curve by talking with others who have had boots on the ground also. We are planning on driving out and spending about 10 days in the 2nd half of Sept.

Any stories, photos, info, or PMs would be much appreciated, if for no other reason than to get us more fired up for September! Appreciate your consideration and looking forward to interreacting with you all and maybe seeing you on a mountain someday!

PO
Any report?

Any report?
Wasn't able to fill the tag, but got about as close as possible without doing so. First night we had a bull at about 30yrds with no shot and had to back out once legal light ran out. Struggled to find elk for a few days with bad weather rolling in, but finally found a nice pocket with a few good bulls. That area led to some great encounters over the course of 3 days, including a few full draws that sometimes was only a few pieces of birch brush away from loosing an arrow. One of the final days of the trip we ended up intercepting a heard of at least 80 with multiple very nice bulls and followed them way up intro the wilderness but ultimately couldn't catch up to them. It was a great trip that had everything but the kill and pack out, lucky enough to even see a few moose and two 170+ muleys. Hoping point creep doesn't hit too bad as a have a younger brother who hopefully will be close to drawing this unit again in the next few years.

Let me know if your brother draws. I hunted this unit in 18 and have buddies that hunted it since then. I would be more than happy to give yall my knowledge of the unit. Spent 19 days getting a bull. It’s one of the most awesome places I’ve ever hunted. Although it is very very challenging.
I will miss that opportunity as long as Colorado keeps this damn unsustainable draw system

Hey Chaza and Poster,

Assuming Point creep doesnt explode this year I should be drawing the 49 archery tag. Just wondering if either of you guys would be willing to share your experiences with me when I get into the full on e-scouting mode. Happy to exchange Cell numbers. I am from Madison WI, been elk hunting now 9 years, got lucky and tagged on in ID a few years back. Thanks Guys!

Hey Chaza and Poster,

Assuming Point creep doesnt explode this year I should be drawing the 49 archery tag. Just wondering if either of you guys would be willing to share your experiences with me when I get into the full on e-scouting mode. Happy to exchange Cell numbers. I am from Madison WI, been elk hunting now 9 years, got lucky and tagged on in ID a few years back. Thanks Guys!
Always love swapping elk experiences. PM me and we can exchange #s.

after janis's experience in there and the constant threads on 49, i'm expecting this unit to keep creeping.
I was planning on 66 this year, but point creep blew that up for me! Just nuts. After this tag my buddies are going to all start doing the 3 points and draw method to at least get some tags with less people.

Hey Roamin,
I live just south of you in Oregon. I have been elk hunting in Colorado since the mid 80s. I have 3 boys, two of them with 17pts for deer and elk, and my youngest has 12 for deer and elk. We are doing the same thing. Each of the next 3 years they are burning their pts and then start getting 1 to 2 tags a year. Hunting in low point areas we found pretty decent sucsess. Waiting 15 to 20 years to hunt a "Trophy Unit" is over. Its more fun to hunt every year. I'm still waiting on a sheep tag 23 years and counting, my boys will be pushing me up the hill in a wheelchair!

I was planning on 66 this year, but point creep blew that up for me! Just nuts. After this tag my buddies are going to all start doing the 3 points and draw method to at least get some tags with less people.
I think I remember seeing another tv show hunter sharing his experience in 66 a few years back and it’s taken off like a rocket since with point creep. My plan was to hunt 66 as well until that happened.
Best of luck in 49 if you draw.

I think I remember seeing another tv show hunter sharing his experience in 66 a few years back and it’s taken off like a rocket since with point creep. My plan was to hunt 66 as well until that happened.
Best of luck in 49 if you draw.
Slm864,

Yeah I only have 7 points so drawing an archery tag in unit 49 might be a tall task too. If not then it's a 0 point muzzy tag for me. Haha Eother way I can't wait to hit the elk woods. I should draw the MT general tag this year too so I plan to make a few trips west!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back