Flat Tops Wilderness Co

Jamen

My buddy and I are planning an elk hunting trip for not this fall but next 2016 season. We are thinking the Flat Top Wilderness area. From what I was reading most are draw units and some are OTC. Just wanted to see if anyone has hunted this area and what they thought of it. We are thinking the OTC tag but not sure we will be making a trip this summer sometime to go put boots on the ground get a feel for the area and just get a bit more familiar with the place.

Thanks Jamen

My advice is,buy a pref point this year and then go for a first season hunt next year.The elk gets a lot of hunting pressure. Remember anywhere you can get to ,so can everyone else.
Lots of rough country.I have hunted it several times but not in the last few years.Mostly around Trappers Lake area.Also hunted the Sheriff Reservoir area and hiked into the Flat Tops.

I have hunted 25/26 for the last 3 years and have found what has been mentioned. Pressure where you can get to ...but...I haven't found that to be a problem. I have used other people pusing animals to my benefit. I have taken 2 elk (my first) and a muley buck and LOVE the area. I will say that I put a bunch of miles on my boots though.

Thanks for the advice and information I will keep you guys posted on what we do.

Jamen

I hunted there in 2nd and 3rd seasons for deer and elk respectively. People in the easy spots. Few people and plenty of animals in the tough to reach spots. I could have punched a tag most days hunted, just didn't find one I wanted.

Good luck!

T Bone was that a draw unit or an otc? I think like stated above buying a point this year wouldn't hurt to do.

Its been a long time now we hunted by Buford Co. Im not sure if this is close or not . But we would never go back again ...we watched the locals that owned the store.herd the.elk back up the mountain with a jeep and horses ...Dam shame ...we told the lady at the store and she said oh thats my boys....If you want to hunt it will cost this much ...
Its too bad this happend it was my father in laws last trip .

MT.PERCHMAN

We ran into the same issue in the badlands hunting elk. I understand it is a business for them but to want to "own" those animals and keep them on their land just to make a profit to me that is unethical and really chaps my butt. But again what does a person do besides move to another location. thanks for the heads up about that would not be fun go spend all that time money and effort to have the animals rounded up like cattle and moved deeper into private land. Being this will be my 2nd elk hunt ever we are just looking to get out and learn more about this type of hunting and enjoy elk for what they are. If we get one that's a bonus to me.

Jamen

Well, I am here to tell you ; they get rounded up and pushed back onto, or driven back to private land in all gmu's. They even have come up with 'spraying noxious weeds' so the state and DOW help this private land cause out starting in July. Spraying weeds on public lands not private ones at 10k feet - makes perfect sense to me.

Everyone has seen it done - as well as private ranches extending boundaries. If you hunt near them, expect to see this, if you shoot something, expect to be harassed. And finally, certainly don't shoot one close to their property.

Pick a spot, plenty of wilderness and Natl forest, go have fun!

Had a couple good hunts, but also had some similar landowner issues on the east side of the flattops. Give a shout if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help you out.

Thanks for all the information guys I just need to decide on an area and start the planning.

Jamen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back