Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fix my screw up. (Elk mount)

Stocker

Let me list excuses for my stupidity as is my custom. (Excuses and stupidity)

1. I never kill elk big enough to mount.
2. It was 80 degrees and I was in a hurry to get it in the cooler.
3. It was late at night.

So like a doofus I cut the brisket short. I’m thinking of getting a piece of cool driftwood to try to cover the form. Any other ideas?
53D75571-3E25-4ECB-BC58-FEED6E807F56.jpeg46C6E200-F8F8-4F30-800B-1334C409AF12.jpeg

Can you make the form itself ~4-5" shorter? Getting some scrap pelt seems like a bad idea because it will never match and you'll always look at it begrudgingly even if it does end up matching.

Can you make the form itself ~4-5" shorter? Getting some scrap pelt seems like a bad idea because it will never match and you'll always look at it begrudgingly even if it does end up matching.
Yeah I thought about shaving it down. I agree with trying to patch it.

I didn’t know this is what you do!? I thought you were a digger or something?? Everything besides the brisket part looks good dude I wouldn’t beat yourself up! Surely you can just cut the back of the form down and still have enough real estate to hang it flat?? I’m no taxi but I think it shouldn’t be TOO big of a boo boo

I didn’t know this is what you do!? I thought you were a digger or something?? Everything besides the brisket part looks good dude I wouldn’t beat yourself up! Surely you can just cut the back of the form down and still have enough real estate to hang it flat?? I’m no taxi but I think it shouldn’t be TOO big of a boo boo
No, I don’t do taxidermy. He just sent it to me. I dig, farm, haul things. About anything to lose money.

There are a few options. My best friend is a taxidermist. I've spent a ton of time in a taxidermy shop. I know there are definitely guys on here that know more then I do, but these are your options imo.

1. You could potentially cut the form shorter, but personally I don't think that would look great and it would cost you more money. This is assuming the glue on the mount isn't set yet.
2. You can have your taxidermist patch in another piece of hide off a brisket. It might look ok or it might look like crap. It really just depends on the taxidermist and the cape and it'll cost more + the same issue with the glue.
3. This is what I would do. I would get a polyurethane rock or stump or log and put it in front. You could make it look like the bull was coming through the grass or looking over a bush. This can be accomplished easily on a wall mount or pedestal. Any taxidermist worth a darn could do that and make it look really good. It'll cost you a few hundred more bucks, but imo it'll look the best and it won't be real difficult to do. Heck, if you're crafty you could do it yourself I've built displays multiple times for mounts.

If its done right no one will know except you and the taxidermist and it'll look even more unique.

Back