Fitness for mountains when you live at sea level - thoughts?

I'm 46, I have jogged many, many miles in my life (note I say "jogged" not "run"). The only joints I've never had problems with are my knees. I did develop plantaar's fasciitis at one point, but that was cured but better stretching and insoles.

@WyoDoug Your post is demoralizing! :) I know how much West Coast Marines hike and Pendleton isn't flat. I grew up at 6 feet above sea level and don't think I've ever lived where it's over 100 foot above sea level so I don't even have a history to fall back on. Best I can say is I'm conditioned to handle heat stress and maybe that gives my body some built in recovery.

It can be. Now you understand why some NFL players are sucking the oxygen when they play in Denver. People just breathe different at sea level than they do at mile high. I learned that the hard way, being in the best physical shape I ever was in my lifetime yet sucking air when I got back to Colorado to hunt.

Very inspiring thought. I would like to exercise yoga in the mountains where you are alone with nature and beautiful views, but I also can't afford it to myself because of hypoxia in the mountains and my dream can't be reached. Some years ago we were cycling at a sufficiently high altitude and I felt so bad that I had to call an ambulance. Indeed, I like sports in nature and outdoors, but I stopped on running on the waterfront and walking. Unfortunately, in this period of quarantine, it was the only solution to make just home training. I found some interesting programs here modernfit.com. So, I had the possibility to maintain the body in good form and shape and not to gain weight.

Last edited:
Funny, my ortho tells me he sees mostly active people. My knees are shot, ran for many years. And I highly suggest people think twice before training with packs heavier than 40 or 50 lbs. Look up the amount of force your knees take with every step while running or carrying heavy weight. Knees dont regenerate.
Totally agree! Years of running in the service has not treated my knees well.

IM 57 and have been a bit of a gym rat all my life also work in construction so I do really weird things for my hunting fitness like carry heavy materials up hills and around houses fast and let my guys stage and cut
I dont run I have issues with my one foot but I do tread mill on steep incline on a fast walk for a about 45 min, bike and eliptical weight train and do planks
I also do steep hills with a pack 30 or 40 lbs very fast with out using trails for abt 1/4 to 1/2 mile then slow for 2 min or so, then hit it again kinda like I would if I was chasing bugles with my bow, I also kneel and shoot when im out of breath
Im not the fastest but can keep going when I need to by doing this type of work outs
I dont think you can train enough at see level for 10,000 feet im at 300 ft in Pa

No doubt running helps. The best part of my Ultra training was my body recovered day to day faster. I was more familiar with how my body felt at certain stress points and I developed a little more ability to see through the "fog of exhaustion". Nothing beats hills with a pack for pure leg endurance. If I rejoin a gym, i may do the stairclimber that I HATE once or twice a week.

But understand you WILL feel tired and winded at 10k it's just part of the deal. Try to spend a night at 5-6k before you go up. ( I always overnighted in Northern Nevada on my way to Wyoming)

If all you do is climb hills with a pack you will have great quads but your hamstrings will be a total mess. Better throw some kettlebell workouts in there. 70% of your muscles are on the back of your body. I would personally train the lateral muscles up and you will get a lot more benefit than hiking or running alone can ever give.
Then get a versaclimber to train up your cardio endurance.

The biggest part, to me, is the mental toughness and will to keep pushing.

I remember packing out a full buck (bone-in) and the whole time I picked 100 yards ahead to rest. Most times I'd push through the rest but that last mile was brutal! On the positive side, warm beer never tasted better!

🍻🍻

One thing that does help with high altitude sickness is take additional doses of iron (in the form of niacin). Iron helps to facilitate absorption of oxygen into the blood stream. That's what my doctor suggested when I talked to him about how to use CPAP while I am hunting. Don't overdo it though, iron like anything else is problematic if you get carried away with it. Never take more than the recommended dose. Acute iron poisoning is a major medical emergency.

Hey don't forget just loading up your pack with weight and doing everyday things around the house. Sounds funny but I personally think it helps your core strength tremendously.

When I am planning a hunt out west ( Last two years I lived in St. Louis and Chicago) I load up the pack with 65 pounds of chains and cut the grass, trim the grass, pick up dog poop, etc.. Just walking/hiking in a straight line is great, but mix in turning/twisting while wearing said pack with weight will get those back and abdominal muscles ready for when your foot slips on a stick while going downhill and your pack is full and your body twists 180. Been there done that and I ended up saving that fall before going over a pretty steep switchback in the Pecos. It was an underwear changer for sure.

One thing that does help with high altitude sickness is take additional doses of iron (in the form of niacin). Iron helps to facilitate absorption of oxygen into the blood stream. That's what my doctor suggested when I talked to him about how to use CPAP while I am hunting. Don't overdo it though, iron like anything else is problematic if you get carried away with it. Never take more than the recommended dose. Acute iron poisoning is a major medical emergency.
Please elucidate me on this form of Iron. Iron is a mineral and Niacin is a B Vitamin. I'm only aware of Fe either from an inorganic (FeSO₄ · H₂O, 28% Fe) or organic (ferrous methionine chelate, 10% Fe)

Please elucidate me on this form of Iron. Iron is a mineral and Niacin is a B Vitamin. I'm only aware of Fe either from an inorganic (FeSO₄ · H₂O, 28% Fe) or organic (ferrous methionine chelate, 10% Fe)

Vitamin supplements that have niacin (nicotinic acid, also known as Vitamin B3) generally have either zinc or iron or both. B3 accelerates the absorbtion of iron and zinc into the blood stream. You do have to read the vitamin supplements but if you see niacin in the ingredients, it generally has iron and zinc added. What I am referring to or meaning to is multi-vitamins with iron. If you take it without Vitamin B3, iron and zinc will not be absorbed into the blood stream and processes out through your kidneys. You will find niacin, iron and zinc in many multi-vitamins. It will be listed in the ingredients if it has it in it. "In the form of niacin" is an incorrect statement, I should of left it to look for niacin in the ingredients and then look for iron because you need both for it to work. The best iron source though is red meat and guess what dietitians are trying to get people to avoid????? Iron supplements are recommended by my doctor when I have chronic SpO2 readings less than 90%.

Even if the supplements do not contain iron (usually in compound form) in either heme (red meat) or non-heme form, taking niacin supplements helps with the absorbtion of iron from supplements and food sources which is better if you eat red meat or other foods naturally high in iron content. That in turn helps with absorption of oxygen into the bloodstream.

Last edited:
Vitamin supplements that have niacin (nicotinic acid, also known as Vitamin B3) generally have either zinc or iron or both. B3 accelerates the absorbtion of iron and zinc into the blood stream. You do have to read the vitamin supplements but if you see niacin in the ingredients, it generally has iron and zinc added. What I am referring to or meaning to is multi-vitamins with iron. If you take it without Vitamin B3, iron and zinc will not be absorbed into the blood stream and processes out through your kidneys. You will find niacin, iron and zinc in many multi-vitamins. It will be listed in the ingredients if it has it in it. "In the form of niacin" is an incorrect statement, I should of left it to look for niacin in the ingredients and then look for iron because you need both for it to work. The best iron source though is red meat and guess what dietitians are trying to get people to avoid????? Iron supplements are recommended by my doctor when I have chronic SpO2 readings less than 90%.

Even if the supplements do not contain iron (usually in compound form) in either heme (red meat) or non-heme form, taking niacin supplements helps with the absorbtion of iron from supplements and food sources which is better if you eat red meat or other foods naturally high in iron content. That in turn helps with absorption of oxygen into the bloodstream.

OK, you meant in combination with...Got it. I thought there was a new snake oil supplement. I concur with every thing you wrote here. One thing is few human multivitamins take advantage of the increased absorption rate amino acid chelates.

My gym opened back up but 100 % mask required. Just using a cloth mask but deadlifts and squats with a mask suck!

My gym opened back up but 100 % mask required. Just using a cloth mask but deadlifts and squats with a mask suck!

Sucks on cardio. I have hypoxia and CO2 intoxication is a bad thingie for me. Hoping getting back to exercising fixes that on top of a temp oxygen concentrator with my CPAP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back