First Western Hunt - Pre Trip Panic

heronwheels

The time is nearly upon me, I'm leaving Michigan at the end of the week to head to Wyoming for my first western hunt, antelope. I've been pretty excited during my research all summer but have started to get a bit nervous when reading more threads and reports about my either sex unit, 113. While looking at onX and county road maps, it looked to me that if I was willing to hoof it a little, I'd have access to a good of BLM land north from 387, it still looks like that to me. Am I crazy or looking at something wrong? Also, while I'm guessing parking right on the side of the expressway isn't legal, I noticed a small parking area/pull off and a culvert under 25 which would offer access to a decent portion of BLM/state land. Is this ok to use? One more annoying newb question, I was planning on walking up from 387 but it looks like a fair amount of oil activity, can a hunter still walk up through these areas or are they required to skirt around them? My doe tags are in unit 20 which looks like it has very limited public land access but there are some spots to get in.

2018-10-06 10_55_57-US-87 - Google Maps - Internet Explorer.jpg

Thanks!

Stacey

I asked at the BLM office about parking along the interstate. I was told it was illegal but I saw alot of hunters doing it.

Legal answer: you are subject to a ticket.

Real world answer: get really off the road, and the "fuzz" will leave you alone. :)

Oh boy, queuing up the response in 5, 4, 3.......

The time is nearly upon me, I'm leaving Michigan at the end of the week to head to Wyoming for my first western hunt, antelope. I've been pretty excited during my research all summer but have started to get a bit nervous when reading more threads and reports about my either sex unit, 113. While looking at onX and county road maps, it looked to me that if I was willing to hoof it a little, I'd have access to a good of BLM land north from 387, it still looks like that to me. Am I crazy or looking at something wrong? Also, while I'm guessing parking right on the side of the expressway isn't legal, I noticed a small parking area/pull off and a culvert under 25 which would offer access to a decent portion of BLM/state land. Is this ok to use? One more annoying newb question, I was planning on walking up from 387 but it looks like a fair amount of oil activity, can a hunter still walk up through these areas or are they required to skirt around them? My doe tags are in unit 20 which looks like it has very limited public land access but there are some spots to get in.

View attachment 88027

Thanks!

Stacey

I assume that picture was right there off of I-25 up by Kaycee? I was through that area a few times the other day and there was a guy with a pick-up truck and a camper parked there both times I drove by on consecutive days. I assume he hadn't been ticketed. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how you do.

Threads like this give me headaches. I'm trying to plan a lope hunt next year. I'm looking at onx at your units and see a ton of public in both. Is Wyoming that bad with landlocked public?

IMO, yes. Millions of acres of landlocked public land that you and I pay for, but monopolized by landowners that own adjacent property or "Think" they own the road rights. The state pampers them.
OTH, it is doable, as many prove every year.

In the draw report, what are the arrows next to the PPs?
It shows on the report:
<3
<2
Etc.

The arrow indicates "less than". Groups applying with unequal point totals will be applying with fractions of points.

If that pull off is also along 387, people do park there regularly. Use your onx and walk/weave your way up north, you will find 'lopes.

I wouldn’t park on 387. Follow the gas roads up as far as you can and park at the fence line and walk from there. I’ve hunted there twice. PM sent

I wouldn’t park on 387. Follow the gas roads up as far as you can and park at the fence line and walk from there. I’ve hunted there twice. PM sent

This ^^. Ive hunted there several times. If you have the onx map chip you should have no problem accessing the large tract of public. Be prepared to put in the miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back